Star Trek: Discovery

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Like 95% or more of the TNG episodes had no threat whatsoever to the federation, and many episodes had no real threat to even the crew, although sometimes they would artificially force some threat from the 3rd parties to more heavily invest the crew in the plot I guess. DS9 went away from that with the whole, y'know, galactic war thing, and Voyager was all about survival of the crew in mega-foreign territory.

I think you could absolutely do a great show using Qhue's ideas but obviously the people behind Discovery would not have been the people to do it anyway so I'm not sure how much of a loss this really is. It's hard to know how much is writers, directors, producers, suits, etc. as far as who's to blame for massive fuckery of concepts.

and nobody remembers those episodes. or do you want more poignant episodes about data and his fucking cat?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Like 95% or more of the TNG episodes had no threat whatsoever to the federation, and many episodes had no real threat to even the crew, although sometimes they would artificially force some threat from the 3rd parties to more heavily invest the crew in the plot I guess. DS9 went away from that with the whole, y'know, galactic war thing, and Voyager was all about survival of the crew in mega-foreign territory.

I think you could absolutely do a great show using Qhue's ideas but obviously the people behind Discovery would not have been the people to do it anyway so I'm not sure how much of a loss this really is. It's hard to know how much is writers, directors, producers, suits, etc. as far as who's to blame for massive fuckery of concepts.

There was an arc over the entire first season where mind controlling alien bugs were attempting to overthrow Starfleet. The very first episode has Q putting all of humanity on trial. In season 2 he tosses the ship to the Delta Quadrant and we're introduced to the Borg. Season 1 also introduced The Ferengi and The Crystalline Entity. The rest of season 1 was computer malfunctions, dealing with the differences of the various local governments and societies. Yar has to fight to the death, and Wesley steps on some flowers, which demands the death penalty... other than the Borg, season 2 is 90% this sort of thing, plus spacial anomalies, etc. Surprisingly time travel wasn't used until season 3, with the Enterprise C, but was more or less like season 2 until the last episode - Best of Both Worlds. Season 4 introduces the Cardassians, and we also have Romulan spy shenanigans. The concepts in Season 5 start to get even more cerebral, but then ends in my favorite 2 part episode, Time's Arrow. Season 6, the Ferengi take over the ship, and more Cardassian shenanigans, ends with more Borg/Lore stuff. Season 7 is a lot of Klingon shit and ends with another Q episode, with a threat against all of existence.

main-qimg-c2078f2812e910170e8a7dbc8fc9c53b-c.jpg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
DS9 had the constant threat of the Dominion. And the ever present conflict between the Cardassians and the stupid fucking Bajorans.

Voyager had the constant threat of the Borg. And a shit load of other hostile species in that quadrant.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The threats in TNG were just more subtle or abstract in some episodes. Like the one with Data being taken for testing as Starfleet property is an amazing episode, but the threat is all an abstract assault on liberty type thing, not the pew pew kind. TOS kinda had some of that a well.

I think DS9 went too far into the grimdark war side and Voyager too far into weirdo spacediversity land.

My point would be you can have "jeopardy" that isn't at the end of a gun. It can just be for a particular character, idea, the enterprise, etc. Sometimes it being bigger like the Borg is fun, but it gets tiring when it's annihilation all the time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
yeah im not saying that a threat of annihilation needs to be ever present in each episode, but a galaxy 100 years after TNG, that is entirely run by federation and where episodes focus on internal squabbles is gonna be boring as shit.

plus its probably gonna contradict a ton of established canon from Enterprise where they still had empires fighting in 31st century if my memory serves me correctly

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Voyager started with temporal anomalies out the ass, Kes as the hot female addition to the crew, and Seska + Kazon as enemies.
Voyager ended with more time travel shenanigans, replaced Kes with Seven, and had the Queen + Borg as the enemies.

The show was not great on lore or expanding the universe. Torres was an engineering god and could solve any problem, the replicators were spitting out replacement shuttles and torpedoes on a weekly basis, and they tossed in things like the borg highway to everywhere (including Earth's doorstep) like it was nothing.

Siliconemelons

Kes was to be hot?

anywho

At the time, it was kind of a let down - the whole borg deathrace 2000 ending episodes - but I did like the kind of luke warm attitudes and stuff the crew had when they plopped into federation space and were met by a few ships. "sup...so, yeah...we are home...cool bro...umm...so all the years and years of our life we just had are mostly useless and going to result in a nice note in starfleet academy- a few pages of light reading- because none of it is relevant to the federation until we expand into the quadrant and then everything will be ultra outdated." It kind of is the ending of LOTR - not everyone is Sam, not everyone can live a normal life after having such an adventure- that is why Bilbo and Frodo left middle earth, and Sam was truly the hero and one who got the greatest gift, the gift or "returning to a content normality" during the journey, the adventure you always long for home, to the end, but once you get there... you really long for the adventure.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
At the time, it was kind of a let down - the whole borg deathrace 2000 ending episodes - but I did like the kind of luke warm attitudes and stuff the crew had when they plopped into federation space and were met by a few ships. "sup...so, yeah...we are home...cool bro...umm...so all the years and years of our life we just had are mostly useless and going to result in a nice note in starfleet academy- a few pages of light reading- because none of it is relevant to the federation until we expand into the quadrant and then everything will be ultra outdated." It kind of is the ending of LOTR - not everyone is Sam, not everyone can live a normal life after having such an adventure- that is why Bilbo and Frodo left middle earth, and Sam was truly the hero and one who got the greatest gift, the gift or "returning to a content normality" during the journey, the adventure you always long for home, to the end, but once you get there... you really long for the adventure.

Oh, you mean like all the Borg tech, 3x replicator efficiency tech, armor plating from the 25th century (ablative generators), The Doctor's mobile emitter from the 25th century, cloaking technology better than Borg sensors, Transwarp technology, Slipstream technology, transphasic torpedoes, Astrometrics, nanoprobe enhanced torpedoes that could destroy Species 8472's ships with a single round. Not to mention Barkley being able to lock down communication and teleportation through microscopic wormholes. Yeah. Just a footnote, for sure. If you've played Star Trek Online, which is considered canon, all of that tech comes into play, and we open a portal back to the Delta quadrant to go back and make sure we fuck the Borg up. Otherwise, you know they'll just come back.

DpQ9YJl.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
MV5BMTA2MzA3OTEyNjJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDY3NzA4OTc@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Aren't you turned on now? There's an even worse mugshot photo that I won't link because it's borderline NSFW. To be fair, the actress WAS attractive at some point but went sideways fast.

She has never been attractive. Debilitating spinal issue, and "please punch me in the face" voice ensured that.

Hell, I used to find Kate Mulgrew attractive... boy did that change. She's still cool as shit as Red on OITNB, though.

Meanwhile, Jeri Ryan is still smoking hot. And having seen her at a con last year, she's very much attractive in person, too.

nTXO5Jx.jpg

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

Star Trek's new captain does not care if die-hard Trekkies like him

Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart – and expects it to upset die hard Trekkies.

“I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans,” he told us at an event in Los Angeles. “I only ‘don't care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

Isaacs says that the new “Star Trek” will be a reflection of our own world, which is something he has a hard time discussing with his own children right now.
“I don't know how to explain the anarchy and chaos," he said, citing America’s suddenly intolerant position on immigration as an example. “One of the things I can do as a storyteller is be part of stories that hold up a vision for the future where we just do better.”

---------------------------------------

its like they are trying to make people not watch

---------------------------------------

i was never that into 7 of 9 or Kes

my top 5
Jadzia Dax
B'Elann

Ensign Ro
Kira
Ezri Dax

though Ro was still hot as Retro Girl in Powers
Terry Farrell has also aged pretty well

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
i love Star trek that tries to "outrage me" instead of creating thoughtful, serious storylines

this series is going to go as far as utopia planitia shipyards before it flames out.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
i was never that into 7 of 9 or Kes

my top 5
Jadzia Dax
B'Elann
Ensign Ro
Kira
Ezri Dax

though Ro was still hot as Retro Girl in Powers
Terry Farrell has also aged pretty well

I see what kind of woman you're into. Besides the Dax's, I always thought the ones you've listed were too masculine without enough femininity.

Both Dax's have held up well. Terry Farrell is still involved in dancing, so her monstrous 6+" frame looks amazing.

My wife has these hanging on our bedroom wall.

20170815_004416.jpg

20170815_004143.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Rime

<Donor>
'Gamers' Trekkies don't have to be your audience. 'Gamers' Trekkies are over.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Voyager destroyed the pipeline for the borg, but they will literally never not be a threat. A lot of the concepts they used for over coming the borg came from 200 years in the future. Like the Doctors mobile emitter. I wanna know about *that* society.

This is not true, the Borg have been dealt with completely in the books. I believe it's the Destiny series, it's a 3 book series that follows multiple crews. It's an exceptionally good series, and you should read it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is not true, the Borg have been dealt with completely in the books. I believe it's the Destiny series, it's a 3 book series that follows multiple crews. It's an exceptionally good series, and you should read it.

Books aren't considered canon by CBS/Paramount. There are too many contradictory stories. My wife spent several months trying to find a good guide on the time line in which all of the novels were set, because she wanted to read them in more or less the correct time line, and there was a huge list of novels that were set at basically the same time, contradicted other novels, or had certain characters after they were supposedly killed off in earlier books, but not ever explained how they "came back".

However, the television series, the movies, and STO are considered actual canon. Which is why the Borg were a large part of one of the expansions in STO.