Star Trek: Discovery

Siliconemelons

Okay, its bull for them to keep latching on to prime timeline when via licensing etc. its not - its either the new movies timeline or its own.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its sound like they have a conflict between who holds the license to Star Trek. Discovery is being made by the group that doesn't hold the to the licenses prime universe. They set up lore council to make sure that it didn't retell by accident things that had already been told in prior 700 episodes of prime universe. Not as we don't want to accidentally repeat our selves. But as a licensing issue of we can't repeat stories that have already been done in the prime universe.

That situation represents just one giant cluster fuck for the series going forward. It also explains why Klingon are so fucked up in the new stories. They changed them for licensing reasons. So we have new series that can't use prime universe stories and that has arbitrary changes to star trek lore.

Star Trek bizzaro would be a more accurate description of this series.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not repeating episodes? What? That's like a standard thing for Trek series to do. The everyone in heat episode, the mirror darkly episodes, etc etc. Dark Matter is taking that concept to the extreme and using every sci-fi trope en force.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Bwhaahhahahahaahhahahahaha

This looks fucking terrible

Super hero landing "GO!"
The British colonel from The Patriot reprising his role as warmonger
Klingons vs Predator
GRIIIIMMMDARKKKKKKKKKKKK EVERYTHING
JJ Flare
Green ball torpedos
Vulcandamus
Constipated Asian Captain
Transvaginapenisface alien
Blue phasers
Matrix graphics forcefields
Neckbeard villian

rooooofllll

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Super hero landing "GO!"
Klingons vs Predator
JJ Flare
Green ball torpedos
Vulcandamus
Blue phasers
Neckbeard villian

rooooofllll

Green torpedos are Klingon (them and romulans have green disrupters and plasma beams, and green plasma torpedos).
Blue phasers are Original Series era.
And these look like photon cannons, not phasers. Phasers are beams, not bursts.
And as far as the forcefields are concerned, TNG, DS9, and VOY used salt scattered over a surface to create the effect. Those used in this look very much like an advancement of Reid's initial design from ENT.

Sorry, my nerd is coming out. And showing the disingenuous and ignorant disdain of "fans". Though I'm not going to disagree with the character assumptions. There's definitely the feel of SJW bullshit in action.

• 1Picard

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Green torpedos are Klingon (them and romulans have green disrupters and plasma beams, and green plasma torpedos).
Blue phasers are Original Series era.
And these look like photon cannons, not phasers. Phasers are beams, not bursts.
And as far as the forcefields are concerned, TNG, DS9, and VOY used salt scattered over a surface to create the effect. Those used in this look very much like an advancement of Reid's initial design from ENT.

Sorry, my nerd is coming out. And showing the disingenuous and ignorant disdain of "fans". Though I'm not going to disagree with the character assumptions. There's definitely the feel of SJW bullshit in action.

Well, I didn't remember the Klingon disrupters on TOS being green balls but you're right. However phasers are still red?

I don't know if they're photon cannons obviously I don't think it's clear what the tech should be in the new alt-universe, so maybe?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Well, I didn't remember the Klingon disrupters on TOS being green balls but you're right. However phasers are still red?

I don't know if they're photon cannons obviously I don't think it's clear what the tech should be in the new alt-universe, so maybe?

enterprise-blue-phasers.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes I guess they were blue, it's hard to tell what's from what now. I keep remembering them as red from the movies.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Super hero landing "GO!"
Klingons vs Predator
JJ Flare
Green ball torpedos
Vulcandamus
Blue phasers
Neckbeard villian

rooooofllll

A bit part of why Star Trek Open Bracket 2009 Closed Bracket worked for me and why I mostly like the new films is that the TNG movies were just so fucking terrible. After Star Trek Nemesis I was just done with the whole fucking series. I was ready for something new.

Much as how TNG decayed over time this looks like what you get when the JJ Abrams style of Star Trek decays and boy is it not pretty. I wish they would have done something new with this or brought the franchise back to its intellectual roots but that ain't what we are getting.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yes I guess they were blue, it's hard to tell what's from what now. I keep remembering them as red from the movies.
TNG and beyond they were red, because the phasers were an array, as opposed to a single ejection point. If you look at the effects, the energy cascaded across a line before ejecting the beam, allowing a much more powerful directed energy force. Again, Trek nerding out here. The blue was endemic to the original, and I believe only the remastered version. Haven't gone back and watched TOS in its original format, because it looks fucking awful. The Motion Picture uses a cannon style phaser that is red (phaser bursts, as opposed to beams). So if the setting is supposed to be between the phase cannons of ENT and the phaser burst of TOS, blue makes some sense.

260165.jpg

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
A bit part of why Star Trek Open Bracket 2009 Closed Bracket worked for me and why I mostly like the new films is that the TNG movies were just so fucking terrible. After Star Trek Nemesis I was just done with the whole fucking series. I was ready for something new.

Must as how TNG decayed over time this looks like what you get when the JJ Abrams style of Star Trek decays and boy is it not pretty. I wish they would have done something new with this or brought the franchise back to its intellectual roots but that ain't what we are getting.

I can probably explain this by saying that any time they bring in modern tech and "futurize" it, it fucks things up. Like the stupid fucking motorcycle in Beyond, or the buggies in Nemesis. And that's without even getting into the problems with the premises of the movies themselves.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Discovery is on Netflix? That will get me to resubscribe for at least a month.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So what are the chances of this getting picked up for a second season. We got odds laid out yet?

spronk

FPS noob
100% will get picked up for a second season no matter how shitty it is, Netflix paid for the first season's production and its pretty much only one of two exclusive shows on CBS All Access