Star Trek: Discovery

Braen

<Medals Crew>
In a universe with different races and languages, with people names T'pol or Spock or Seru, people are shocked when a female is named Michael?

edit - I missed it by that much Xad

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Speaking of different races and languages. It would be hilarious if someone went to a live presser and asked why she has a colonial name. Uhura is Swahili for freedom. Chekov, Sulu, Spock are all cultured names. Michael Burnham is a slave name!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

The Michael thing isn't that big. Younger people don't realize it, but up until the late 20th century, Ashley was pretty much exclusively a boy's name, but now you'll find most people associate it with a girl's name (outside of Ash J Williams and Ash Ketchum, but even then they're using the shortened versions of Ashley). There are tons of examples of male names transitioning into female names and vice versa. For a show set centuries in the future, I'm not going to get hung up on that sort of detail when you can just look at recent history and find examples of names becoming unisex or predominately used by one gender that wasn't the original gender the name was used for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Michael thing isn't that big. Younger people don't realize it, but up until the late 20th century, Ashley was pretty much exclusively a boy's name, but now you'll find most people associate it with a girl's name (outside of Ash J Williams and Ash Ketchum, but even then they're using the shortened versions of Ashley). There are tons of examples of male names transitioning into female names and vice versa. For a show set centuries in the future, I'm not going to get hung up on that sort of detail when you can just look at recent history and find examples of names becoming unisex or predominately used by one gender that wasn't the original gender the name was used for.
how many famous Ashleys are there?

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider

The hottest girl in my high school class was actually called Michael, but spelled Mykal or something like that. It was weird, but eh.

• 2Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
how many famous Ashleys are there?

This count?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Nobody honestly gives a fuck what her name is, she just sucks as an actor, especially one expected to lead a 50 year old franchise into the future. When your predecessors are William Shatner (who is shit, but suited his role perfectly), the majestic Sir Patrick Stewart, now mentally insane Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and even Scott Bakula... They bring on a defunct Walking Dead actor with the range of a dead snail that's constantly angry, makes stupid as fuck decisions, literally does things in an illogical manner unbefitting her upbringing, and they try to play her off as hyper intelligent, rational, and the hero of the show? Get right the fuck out. Oh, and they dragged race and sex into things like folks of Star Trek honestly give a fuck.

I hate Tilly, but she's like 20 levels down from Michael's character, and actually acceptable. In fact, the rest of the cast is more or less acceptable to honestly great.

They built a world on a shitty, shit, fucking deplorable piece of shit character. The polar opposite of Trek. And she's supposed to be heralded? Again, get the fuck out CBS.

*edit: it's like if they had created a show that focused on Barclay from TNG/VOY. Admittedly I love his character, he's brilliant, awkward, the normative person in an exceptional world doing his own exceptional things. But he's normal, natural (in his awkward way), while Michael is like a cross between an angry goose and a peacock during mating season. They wanted to build a show that's the polar opposite of Star Trek, and they succeeded in glorious fashion. Doesn't make sense, war infested, non-ensemble, terrible lead.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I watched the first 4 episodes of season one and assigned this show the same level of heretical child memory destruction as the new Star Wars movies. Has this crap gotten any better? This is literally the only Star Trek series I have never watched to completion.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you want to limit yourself to the "good" episodes, watch episodes 11-13. The rest is pure trash.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
If you want to limit yourself to the "good" episodes, watch episodes 11-13. The rest is pure trash.

But dude! It has SPORE DRIVE and BLACK ALERT. This is so high tech it makes my sphincter twitch!

SPORE DRIVE

BLACK ALERT

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm just sad I haven't seen a racist joke tied to Black Alert. Help me Obi Wan FOH, you're my only hope.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
What the hell. I thought this was back this week, but it seems they have moved the new episodes to Thursdays for this season so it nicely conflicts with The Orville / Good Place / the only night I actually maybe want to watch live TV.

Idjits.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
What the hell. I thought this was back this week, but it seems they have moved the new episodes to Thursdays for this season so it nicely conflicts with The Orville / Good Place / the only night I actually maybe want to watch live TV.

Idjits.

Sounds like they are trying to drag the dead body out to the trash before anyone notices.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Idjits.
das just dumb

what kind of idiot is in charge of programming and has a real star trek show
bf0b07f30ff863d6302241a56c03d9ce.png

that no one likes and decides to pit it against a fake star trek show with REAL old star trek guest actors and directors?
5272e9ec514a02fe5ad716c3b6ca7cbc.png

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Damn, every time someone posts, I keep hoping to read it's finally cancelled, and declared non-canon. Oh and anyone that appeared in it has a contract they will never acknowledge appearing in this series or the character they played.

Only thing remotely interesting was the mirror universe stuff, but sadly it was just a kernel of partially digested corn, surrounded by shit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Yeah, but can they resist the SJW in the series?

Can they show how the federation NEEDS the dark underbelly to survive, will it focus on the moral delimas and thin Grey line of good mad, needs of the many, etc?

Or

// it to trump and how evil he / it is and we all should just hold hands and be friends

• 1Like