Star Trek: Discovery

Fucker

Log Wizard
This show can't be salvaged. I'll bet a dollar it doesn't see season 3. An unlikable cast along with a dumb story and a dumb ship (it runs on cosmic plant juice for fuck sakes) means that there's nothing they can do with it to make it good.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The source of the video is sketchy at best, like, where is there a credible source that they tried to sell their short treks that doesn't just come from them?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Can we just merge this thread with the Star Wars one and rename it to "SJW dogshit that has ruined my childhood memories"?

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, I'm super late to this party, but my kids bought me the first season of this for Christmas, and I'm watching the first episode now. I have questions. The biggest one is why is everything so different, and why are the Klingons so different?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fresh. New. Different.

If you're putting thought into it then you wasted more brain power than the creators.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Clearly, your kids hate you.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Into the second episode now. I'm kind of enjoying it, though I'm finding the weird Klingons distracting.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Okay, I'm super late to this party, but my kids bought me the first season of this for Christmas, and I'm watching the first episode now. I have questions. The biggest one is why is everything so different, and why are the Klingons so different?
The reason that the aesthetics and the storylines diverge so much from older Star Trek shows is because the former head of CBS decided to license out the show instead of making it in house. For whatever reason they demanded that these new versions had to be visually distinct and have no continuty with the older storylines.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The reason that the aesthetics and the storylines diverge so much from older Star Trek shows is because the former head of CBS decided to license out the show instead of making it in house. For whatever reason they demanded that these new versions had to be visually distinct and have no continuty with the older storylines.

Good to know.

The ships are pretty cool.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The space battles are fucking awesome. Not Star Trek, but awesome. Battlestar CGI eat your heart out kind of awesome. The actors, story, plot, everything else is just fucking garbage.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. I think they're trying to reinvigorate Star Trek. And that comes with "everything looks different".

I don't hate the idea. Things have to evolve. TNG is on netflix if you wanna watch it. Different can still be good.

The problem is that, after the reviews I've seen, the consensus seems to be "it's ok. It's not Trek though, and it's not really that good. It's also not -that- bad. The CGI is great, though."

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The first couple of seasons of TNG aren't very good and the first couple seasons of DS9 aren't very good. I just don't know if you can expect any show in this day and age to get 2-3 seasons to find its footing given how fierce the competition is for every single viewer's eyeballs.

Yeah. I think they're trying to reinvigorate Star Trek. And that comes with "everything looks different".

I don't hate the idea. Things have to evolve. TNG is on netflix if you wanna watch it. Different can still be good.

The problem is that, after the reviews I've seen, the consensus seems to be "it's ok. It's not Trek though, and it's not really that good. It's also not -that- bad. The CGI is great, though."

Speaking of TNG I caught Chaos on the Bridge (TV Movie 2014) - IMDb last night. It's about the first couple seasons of TNG and how crazy it was and how the show almost didn't make it. It was really good.

While I'm writing this post at 4 A.M. let me also say that I'm sad it looks like the rebooted films are dead. While I thought Into Darkness was ass I like Star Trek (2009) just fine and genuinely enjoyed Star Trek Beyond.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
While I'm writing this post at 4 A.M. let me also say that I'm sad it looks like the rebooted films are dead. While I thought Into Darkness was ass I like Star Trek (2009) just fine and genuinely enjoyed Star Trek Beyond.

Does it really matter? There's nothing in the last 3 movies you can't also get from Star Wars movies, and those will be churned out for a long time to come.

The people that went to the JJTrek movies were either action movie fans or existing Trek fans, and I doubt they gained many new fans of Trek in the process. They need to just give up on the movies and commit fully to returning the series to television in a way that isn't limited to some shitty streaming service that nobody wants. Let Trek grow again instead of trying to make it into something it's not and that is easily forgotten. Give it its message back, because it's something the world could really use at the moment.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Does it really matter? There's nothing in the last 3 movies you can't also get from Star Wars movies, and those will be churned out for a long time to come.

I have not seen any of the new Star Wars films and do not plan to do so.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard