Star Trek: Discovery

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I have not seen any of the new Star Wars films and do not plan to do so.

They're pretty much interchangeable with the new Trek movies except with a different skin on top. Big action-adventure popcorn movies with a sci-fi IP pasted on top, devoid of any actual message of value. Pegg managed to do the best he could with Beyond, but it's still just an action movie centred around a captain so insufferable that he makes Janeway look good and a Vulcan that is anything but calm or logical.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Okay, I'm super late to this party, but my kids bought me the first season of this for Christmas, and I'm watching the first episode now. I have questions. The biggest one is why is everything so different, and why are the Klingons so different?
Because as usual the writers think that they know better than the fans.

Enjoy the amazing middle story arc. The beginning is shitty and the end is rushed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm not saying that I'd like to see Alex Kurtzman get hit by a truck, but I am saying that I'd like to see him get hit by two at the same time.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally got around to watching this after having some Discovery crew on my STT roster (yeah, I am a sinner)

I have to say oh lord, that is a very, very, VERY kind picture of Tilly they put in the game

270px-Cadet_Sylvia_Tilly_Head.png

Compared to what she actually looks in the show.

Overall, the show is okay. What kinda is very non-ST about it is that it is not ensemble cast. Feels like the entire show is about Michael Burnham, fuck all the other characters.

The time loop Mudd episode was an excellent twist on the whole Time Loop style, where for the first time the crew didn't just get infinite attempts to resolve the issue, but were actually on a clock because there was a bad guy who was trying to figure out how to win.

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay, just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Into the second episode now. I'm kind of enjoying it, though I'm finding the weird Klingons distracting.

IMO the worst part about the Klingons is how they changed their language. It's like it's not a language you can even speak fluently anymore. It's one rough syllable after another

TAK! TOK! NAK! GRUK! KOP!

If you compare it to TNG Klingon, those actually sounded like real sentences with different sounding words. You know, like they actually tried making it sound like a language.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I finally got around to watching this after having some Discovery crew on my STT roster (yeah, I am a sinner)

I have to say oh lord, that is a very, very, VERY kind picture of Tilly they put in the game

270px-Cadet_Sylvia_Tilly_Head.png

Compared to what she actually looks in the show.

Overall, the show is okay. What kinda is very non-ST about it is that it is not ensemble cast. Feels like the entire show is about Michael Burnham, fuck all the other characters.

The time loop Mudd episode was an excellent twist on the whole Time Loop style, where for the first time the crew didn't just get infinite attempts to resolve the issue, but were actually on a clock because there was a bad guy who was trying to figure out how to win.
Burnham being the focus was actually the original intent of the show from its inception. I knew the show was going to be garbage from the get go.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It suffers from the same issue as Voyager. The lead character (Janeway:Burnham) is annoying, it has two pretty great characters (Doc/Seven:Tilly/Saru) and has either a pool of boring or underutilized supporting characters. I'd really like to see the rest of Discovery's bridge crew get some screentime as they're visually interesting characters and could be made into something.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh man, I knew they had a mirror episode in the season because I've seen the mirror crew in STT. I didn't know it wasn't just one episode.

The mirror arc was absolutely amazing.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The mirror arc was absolutely amazing.

I agree the way mike and rich evans move eloquently through the Star Trek universe and.... wait what?

Oh not this again! Someone is actually thinking this is good! No oh no gah!

1546595258199.gif

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The show has serious issues, but the mirror universe arc was not one of them.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The issue with the mirror universe stuff is that previously it served as a breakaway from the normal thoughtful/serious stuff by providing some silly yet dark fun action, but that's pretty much all of discovery. It's the same just with a colour tint over it. Compare it with DS9's take where you get to see all the characters be drastically different people and turned up to 11. It was a Vegas vacation. This one is heading over to the neighbouring trailer park.

I liked STD's mirror arc but only because they were well written episodes and Georgiou*sp was captivating in her performance. And captain Killy of course

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh man I just realized something. In Episode 10, when the USS Discovery is hailed by the ISS Conner, Lorca wants to respond to the hail, but Burnham stops him just in time to prevent him from giving himself away. But Lorca knows this, because he's Mirror Lorca, and he knows he could not possibly have answered that call. He just relys on Burnham reading up on the crew manifest of the ISS Discovery that very moment to stop him from killing them all?

Utter shit writing, I rate this "Beverly Crushers Ghost romance"/10. All it would have taken is for Lorca to order Burnham to focus on information on the ISS Discovery one minute prior to that. Show ruined, I'm gonna watch the Orville instead.

Literally the only good thing about this show is how the Discovery goes "Black Alert" the moment Burnham steps onto the ship.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Literally the only good thing about this show is how the Discovery goes "Black Alert" the moment Burnham steps onto the ship.

You have to give some credit to the production side of things. It's a really spiffy looking show. I would kill to have a real Trek series look like how STD looks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great effects, great battle scenes, and the voice saying "BLACK ALERT" is hot as hell. Someone explain the name Michael to me, I really thought at first this was going to be the first trans Star Trek show.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
My wife has the black alert as her alarm in the morning. Def gets me up and going.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Siliconemelons

To think that bitch Michael doomed the // universe humans to 100+ years of slavery because, that is what SJWs do.

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great effects, great battle scenes, and the voice saying "BLACK ALERT" is hot as hell. Someone explain the name Michael to me, I really thought at first this was going to be the first trans Star Trek show.

I don't think it was ever explained in the show, there's even a few characters commenting on how unusual a name it is. I just dismissed it as the writers trying to be super edgy with as little effort as possible

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

I don't think it was ever explained in the show, there's even a few characters commenting on how unusual a name it is. I just dismissed it as the writers trying to be super edgy with as little effort as possible

The name Michael for a female is 110% SJW bullshit crap injected FOR THE PURPOSE OF SJW activism

The fact that Tilly is all like "lulz, michael is a boys name" is 950% out of ST character.

Kirk did not walk on to the bridge and go "HOOOLLLEEYYY SSHIIIITT A NEGRO AND A RUSSKI ON MY BRIDGE WWWTTTTTFFFFF?????!!!!!!!" as that held 0 merit IN THE WORLD OF ST as we have grown beyond that- as THAT WAS THE POINT

If the characters in ST:D would have not blinked at a girl with a boys name it would be BETTER than it being FORCED

Did people outside of the ST universe bitch as ohura etc.? yeah- it fostered discussion, AGAIN THE POINT

ST:D is a STD and misses the entire point to TRY AND BE SJW activism.

It would have been better to be like

Michael "Hi, I am Michael"
Tilly "Hi, Michael? I am Tilly... Michael is it? Right?"
Michael "Yes, I was born a male and Michael is a meaningful family name given to me, so I did not change it."
Tilly "Cool, lez sex sess before duty?"
Michael "10-4, mm mm black and red alert!"

and it was never mentioned or thought of again.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users