Star Trek: Discovery

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I honestly liked Voyager. It had the "exploration of the unknown" we hadn't seen since TOS, and the Doctor and 7of9 are honestly two of the best characters in Trek history. It got a lot better after they dumped Tess, which was Voyager's version of Wesley. Sure, Janeway sucked, but the former two and a general favoritism towards "action" based episodes made it enjoyable.
6a01348361f24a970c01b7c8beca99970b-320wi

Her fucking tits are the only reason to like 7o9

in 97

compared to the new or popular tv shows in 97
40ff0f70b237c8224ae79b7f245864a4.png

Jerri Ryan was not BUILT like any other

i mean duh?
source.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Liking Voyager is an objective test of how horrible your taste is.

Lol. Could be. Perhaps it's because I grew up on the original Star Trek, even TNG is a distant second for me.

Spent the last few years casually rewatching all the series in order (finished last year). And I ended up liking Voyager compared to DS9 and Enterprise. DS9 is shit. And Enterprise was the beginning of the virtue signal apocalypse.

You'd have to remove a good portion of the episodes in Voyager to be left with a bulk of half-decent episodes. Leave out anything involving Kess, the Kazon, the little girl Naomi, and any episode that focuses on Chakotay - his episodes were like the Klingon ones in TNG. Just don't find his shitty acting and spiritualism all that insightful or interesting. TNG Klingon episodes are the hardest to re-watch for me. Seven developed into a very interesting character who was initially fairly flat. Heh, and Janeway preceded Lorca in making rash, immoral decisions because the scenario dictated it.

Very true. But in the end it was either Voyager or nothing. And for me Voyager was better than no trek at all. It had it's moments and the exploration part was back. DS9 and Enterprise were made to explore the inner workings of somebody's belly button. And just as boring.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
As was exactly predicted earlier in this thread, the store drive wouldn't be long term viable. Color me shocked. Episode 5 was decent. Probably the most decent so far. Heard 6 was pretty damn "meh" however. Guess I'll find out when I cleanse my palate with a couple episode of Orville.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Someone posted a fan theory that the Captain Gabriel Lorca we have here is actually the Mirror Universe version who switched places at some point before the story began. My response to that was : "yeah so?" Honestly I don't care if he is moustache-twistingly evil or not, he's awesome. Similarly I kinda like Ash Tyler even with all his baggage. I wonder if he will end up going native?

I feel that to the extent that Bryan Fuller had an influence still on the show it is in this slow burn of character building. We are gradually being introduced to the 'A-Team' that Lorca is putting together in a way that is so fundamentally different than on any other Star Trek other than the original series.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
DS9 was great. Tons of worf, dax was fine, garrack and quark are amazing characters, O'Brien and Bashir were awesome.

That being said, Jesus fuk this show has a lot of virtue. Don't judge the tardy on its looks. Strong black woman scares you. Hetero white guy be cray cray. White girls are annoying and super uncool, but the strong black women will teach them how to be awesome because it's black peoples role to yeah whores how to act. Klingons are savages that just want to make Chrono a great again because racist.

This show went from "fuck yes Star trek show", to "ugh black woman main, I hope it's not sjw nonsense", to "Jesus it looks like Evangelical left propaganda, I'll still check it out bc Star trek", to "fuck it not even torrent ing this garbage".

I'm going to follow crazy Ivan and bow out of watching this trash

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Its all the fungus. I was actually hoping that they would showcase what is going on in the other labs onboard. We've never really done much delving into a Starfleet Science Vessel (Voyager was supposed to be one... but that obviously didnt last long) and I have to imagine that constantly 'Black Alert'ing across space plays havok with everyone else's work.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And why does everyone have terrible skin? I see pimples everywhere.
They're laying the groundwork for the next movement. #fatacceptance is already rolling, next up is #badskinacceptance

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yeah they're not even trying with the chubby redhead. It wouldn't be fair if some people were more attractive than others!

DS9 is shit.

I can see how it might be a change of pace from the original Trek formula (although that's what I liked about it), but come on. It easily has the best all-round cast and the best watchable/dogshit episode ratio of any of the Trek series'. I can understand appreciating Voyager, it's got some great stuff if you're willing to be liberal with the skipping of episodes, at least in the later seasons (1 - 3 are mostly unwatchable), but DS9 still kicks it all over the corridor unless you absolutely need a spaceship visiting a new planet every week to get you going.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
DS9 became good once the Dominion story hit and the show ceased to be the boring ass soap opera on a space station it initially was.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Well yeah, but ever Trek since TOS sucked for at least the first 2 seasons. That just goes without saying. And I maintain that the ratio of good/shit is higher in the early seasons of DS9 than it is in the early seasons of any of the others (especially Voyager).

You'd have to remove a good portion of the episodes in Voyager to be left with a bulk of half-decent episodes. Leave out anything involving Kess, the Kazon, the little girl Naomi, and any episode that focuses on Chakotay - his episodes were like the Klingon ones in TNG. Just don't find his shitty acting and spiritualism all that insightful or interesting. TNG Klingon episodes are the hardest to re-watch for me. Seven developed into a very interesting character who was initially fairly flat. Heh, and Janeway preceded Lorca in making rash, immoral decisions because the scenario dictated it.

Don't forget Neelix, tying with Jar Jar Binks for "painfully cringe-inducing sci fi comic relief character." And at least Lucas had to decency to ditch Jar Jar after the first movie, you gotta deal with Neelix right to the bitter end. And, you know, Jar Jar didn't have a borderline abusive relationship going on with some serious jailbait.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Dude Neelix was seriously pussy whipped - Kes was abusing and blue balling the hell out of poor Neelix. Also neelix got better down the road.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well yeah, but ever Trek since TOS sucked for at least the first 2 seasons. That just goes without saying. And I maintain that the ratio of good/shit is higher in the early seasons of DS9 than it is in the early seasons of any of the others (especially Voyager).

Don't forget Neelix, tying with Jar Jar Binks for "painfully cringe-inducing sci fi comic relief character." And at least Lucas had to decency to ditch Jar Jar after the first movie, you gotta deal with Neelix right to the bitter end. And, you know, Jar Jar didn't have a borderline abusive relationship going on with some serious jailbait.

Ugh yeah Neelix, almost forgot about him. Thankfully once they dumped Tess he toughened up a bit.

Agree nothing has ever beaten TOS. It's an unpopular opinion, but honestly I dislike TNG more than any other Star Trek series. It was just straight up fucking gay imho-- children on board, shrink on the bridge, robot that wants to be human, blind faggot engineer, FUCKING WESLEY, no vulcan main character, lame doctor, tryhard 1st officer, etc. Sure, there were some good episodes, and the Borg storyline was great, but outside of that it fucking sucked imho. Holodeck episodes, particularly involving Data, made me rage.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't see how you could characterize LaForge as a faggot since blind engineer was the entirety of his character. He got closer to fucking the ship than an actual human.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Next Generation proved there was actual longevity to the Star Trek universe. Before TNG things had, honestly, ground to a halt. You had the majesty of ST:TMP and then the amazeballs adventure of Wrath of Khan followed by the much more pedestrian Search for Spock and Voyage Home. Voyage Home, in particular, was just a buddy comedy about the ensemble cast with almost no connection to the actual underlying foundations of Star Trek as a setting. It could easily have died right then and there.

Only it didn't. TNG kicked off nearly 2 decades of continuous, sometimes simultaneous, Star Trek series which refreshed the brand and kept it relevant. In many ways Discovery is doing a similar refresh in terms of mode of storytelling and overall theme... just it happens to be doing it in maybe not the best way.