Star Trek: Discovery

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

No, but once they touch "time" it can entirely erased from ST history.

ST and other scifi sometimes uses time "threads" - and large catalysts for things in that thread and weave "our time" can be plucked out or altered etc. -- think the generation ship with pissed off 70s show dad.

So, if we pluck out the Michal thread of "big" history changing events - all of discovery is gone, or placed into its "own" timeline.

From the moment she killed the Klingon on the artifact forward. It should all just flash back rewind to that point and she gets run through and killed, restoring OG timeline.

Or MAGA it and flash back to Sarek looking down at a baby human girl and going "no...we won't take her in" and walking away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Star Trek: Depressing... holy shit I fast forwarded so much of this boring ass episode. Fucking terrible writing and casting.

Kiki

Log Wizard
So it's looking likely that Discovery gets tossed into the future and thereby will allow us to explore some timeline past TNG/DS9/VOY.

Though obviously Spock can't be on the ship when it happens so something has to get him off the ship before they wormhole away. Seems odd that Ash Tyler would not be on the ship as you'd likely want to keep him around for season 3, so maybe they will hammer the reset button after all.

he's going to the section 31 show if it still happens.

Pretty light episode but it's just a setup for the next. I think it might be better to binge a season, than try standalone episodes like any other trek (even CBS Bakula's Ent), because of the aforementioned season long storylines. These isn't a drop in and out story like the previous series. Season 3 is easy to predict at this point.

And who the fuck is pike's number 1? Just give Pike his own series plox. He's better than any main character.

With all of that, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens. The Orville doesn't have that level of anticipation for me, I'm not wondering what's going to happen next episode. And i'm not so butthurt about retcons. I still wouldn't mind better characters however.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I find it hilarious they keep showing the black helmsman as if she's an important crew member yet we know zilch about her.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Star Trek: Discovery
Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2
Season: 2
Episode: 14
Air date: 2019-04-18

The U.S.S. Discovery battles against Control in a fight not only for their lives but for the future, with a little help from some unexpected friends. Spock and Burnham discern vital new connections between the red signals while Burnham faces one of life’s harshest truths: the right decisions are often the hardest to make.

So we now know why Spock and family never mentioned Michael before. Uhm, okay.

And please, for the love of God and baby Jesus, give us a Enterprise/Pike series. The actor choices for Pike, Spock, and Number One are spot on. And, god dammit, the bridge of the Enterprise looks amazing. Hints of TOS but looks completely futuristic. I think they nailed it.

This series has so many love/hate elements about it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I would much rather see a Pike, Number One, Spock series than Discovery season 3...

So Georgiou is on Discovery when it time travels, so how does this lead to her own series exactly? I fully expected her to abandon ship so she and Ash could run off into Section 31 together.

They seem to be setting themselves up for Voyager redux with the ship being 950 years in the future deep in the Beta Quadrant... Obviously the spore drive or Stamets will be broken otherwise they could just spore back to Future Federation and encounter the Enterprise-T captained by a Borg/Q hybrid who identifies as a potted plant.

• 3Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Star wars fire fight.
So much flippant back talk to higher officers.
Guess they forgot they have transporters.
Lets take 5 mins to break into the room with the bad guy so we can trade jokes and then run away from him, why bother trying to him kill him and ending it all.

Are you excite?

Enterprise pike spock series might be a lot better.

• 2Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Apparently they are doing season 3 and then section 31, how that works out I have no idea. Section 31 in the future? And I like how we can guess season 3's situation but they turned a lot of expected twists on their head. Good shit. And yeah, as I keep saying, I would kill for a Pike series and who the fuck is number one?

And as for the talking and not shooting, she knew it wouldn't kill him and was already planning on putting him in the spore chamber I guess? I dunno, it kinda bothered me too at first but I guess that makes sense.

The thing that really bothers me is do you really have to jump to the future after Leland dies and all the drones shut down? Do you still have to protect the sphere data or something?

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently they are doing season 3 and then section 31, how that works out I have no idea. Section 31 in the future? And I like how we can guess season 3's situation but they turned a lot of expected twists on their head. Good shit. And yeah, as I keep saying, I would kill for a Pike series and who the fuck is number one?

And as for the talking and not shooting, she knew it wouldn't kill him and was already planning on putting him in the spore chamber I guess? I dunno, it kinda bothered me too at first but I guess that makes sense.

The thing that really bothers me is do you really have to jump to the future after Leland dies and all the drones shut down? Do you still have to protect the sphere data or something?
no.1 is rebecca romjin best known to me for...
and she played mystique in original xmen films.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Guess they forgot they have transporters.

...and just how could have transporters be used?

They didn't use transporters because they would have had to lower shields. I shouldn't need to explain the reason they didn't drop shields. Or, that when they DID drop a tiny section of the shield to let Spock out on the shuttle, Leland transported into Discovery. Do you even think before you type?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
...and just how could have transporters be used?

They didn't use transporters because they would have had to lower shields. I shouldn't need to explain the reason they didn't drop shields. Or, that when they DID drop a tiny section of the shield to let Spock out on the shuttle, Leland transported into Discovery. Do you even think before you type?

Inside the ship... not the outside portion... did you think before you typed?

P.S in case you haven't figured out what part I'm talking about, it's the one where they have 90sec before the torpedo blows, and the manual over ride for the blast door was the only option... so use the manual over ride, transport the admiral out... they can transport someone from down on a planet, or even in free fall in the atmosphere but they fucking can't do it for someone that's basically a couple rooms down the hall from the transport room on the same fucking ship? Oh and let's not forget how they have internal shields they could have been using too in multiple situations.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
blast door

Never mind the question of why in the fuck the rest of the ship isn't made out of the proton torpedo-immune material they used for the window of the blast door. "We have to close the door or we'll lose half of four decks!" What?

That whole mini-arc was idiocy at its finest.

no.1 is rebecca romjin

Holy fuck how did I not realize that given that I was a teenager during her SI heyday...

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Inside the ship... not the outside portion... did you think before you typed?
Yes, and I can't think why they'd either staff the transporter bay or power the transporters in a battle that requires a shit ton of offence/defence and not intership mobility. Next.

flashr66

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone else find it great 2 ships vs 30 was stretched out to 60 minutes. This battle should have been over in 60 seconds.

• 3Like

Siliconemelons

I mean the series started with a huge battle and we saw federation ships get shredded like no tomorrow vs a randomly assembled Klingon front so...yeah

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I kinda prefer the space battles where 500m long battleships don't just explode on the first hit like they did in the Dominion War.

But anyways, having held this off until today, where the fuck did Spock and MB land during the fight? What the hell was that random derelict wreck a few kilometers away from the battle? I must have missed the part where they explained that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The actor choices for Pike, Spock, and Number One are spot on. And, god dammit, the bridge of the Enterprise looks amazing. Hints of TOS but looks completely futuristic. I think they nailed it.
I don't know, Benedict Cumberbatch would have made a much better Spock, because his voice is so much more iconic like Nimoy. Quinto is fine but not the absolute best. Plays the part well though.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Trek has had a very big issue with battle narratives for some time. The original series was very much a naval combat situation in a galaxy where starships were not very common. This was perfected in Wrath of Khan which had the best ship combat sequences.

Then after Babylon 5 and other shows which had swarms of ships Trek suddenly had to have battle sequences with dozens of starships, this could have worked still except they wanted lots of pew-pew-explosions and so made the ships behave as if they were tissue paper. I think in one DS9 battle they went through nearly a century worth of Starfleet academy graduates, even if you restrict the number of officers per ship to be relatively low.

Now in Disco we have people in space scooters and drones which can blow holes in ships and it's all very silly.