Star Trek - Into Darkness

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Meh, I liked this movie ok. The whole new timeline spin on things is interesting enough, though the only time of the movie where I felt like things just got too weird/stupid was when Spock called Spock for advice. That was kind of retarded.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Pray to god fucking "JJ" goes and stays in Star Wars land and leaves ST alone.

Star Trek Into Darkness: The Spoiler FAQ

All I needed to know. Sounds so fucking bad. I'm not even pirating this.
This is some major OCD nerd rage. The movie was fun. Some shit is different from the holy Roddenberry Cannon. If you rage at the idea of Star Trek with slightly less (not zero) philosophy and more action, you take your entertainment too seriously.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Movie was great, not sure there was a single part I wasn't a fan of.

The fact Dumar is raging about it should show anyone on the fence to see it that it's a great movie and has a good place in the Trek universe.

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
This movie was great, action, comedy, prime directive stuff, throwback to previous series.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
This is some major OCD nerd rage. The movie was fun. Some shit is different from the holy Roddenberry Cannon. If you rage at the idea of Star Trek with slightly less (not zero) philosophy and more action, you take your entertainment too seriously.
Do enlighten me on the 'slightly less' philosophy of JJ's reinvisioning.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Pray to god fucking "JJ" goes and stays in Star Wars land and leaves ST alone.

Star Trek Into Darkness: The Spoiler FAQ

All I needed to know. Sounds so fucking bad. I'm not even pirating this.
Eh, the article makes everything out to be worse than it actually was. Plus some of the complaints are completely off base. For example:

The complaint about the Enterprise being under water. During the TV shows and other movies star ships have repeatedly been shown to have the ability to withstand extreme pressure inside nebulae. So the Enterprise being able to go under water isn't that much of a stretch.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
lol dude its the Big D, master Troll extraordinaire. He'll disappear for a year when Ohio State gets crushed in the national championship again.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No way OG Star Trek was as anal with it's use of science in fiction as the nit-picking nerd rage in that article.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Eh, the article makes everything out to be worse than it actually was. Plus some of the complaints are completely off base. For example:

The complaint about the Enterprise being under water. During the TV shows and other movies star ships have repeatedly been shown to have the ability to withstand extreme pressure inside nebulae. So the Enterprise being able to go under water isn't that much of a stretch.
But the overall point of why couldn't the Enterprise just do like we do in the 21st Century and observe people from . . space . . is pretty valid.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
While I though Cumberbatch did a great job, did it bother anyone else that they cast a blue-eyed white boy to play an Indian character? Maybe it was some sort of homage to the original script that had Khan written as a Nordic superman? Yeah, good movie, but they aren't Star Trek.
I put my concerns above. I don't care if they were going for the White Supremacist angle versus Indian as so much of that area is overlapping Asian and Ind-European, but I did have some qualms.

If you watched the movie The Wrath of Khan, Khan's son and most of his crew were Anglo. It fits with the backstory. My beef is mainly Ricardo was so much more fun a villain with so much more presence and overt gleeful malice. I agree with Mist that this Khan is ruthless but not vindictive, however he also isn't as cool as the original. The original episode did try to make him more of an Indian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nKAWPIQVnI

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
But the overall point of why couldn't the Enterprise just do like we do in the 21st Century and observe people from . . space . . is pretty valid.
Well they only have a single shuttle and that was being used for getting Spock into and out of the volcano. Where were Kirk and Bones supposed to run to after drawing people away from the temple area? That was why the ship was down there, to give them a place to run to otherwise that chase never would have ended.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The story was ok. The problem I had with this movie was the ship to ship fight. That was just plain stupid. Enterprise does no evasive maneuvers and does not really even fight back. As soon as they saw that huge ship and found out who was running it they should have warped the hell out of there. You can continue the conversation in warp. They had no idea of the enemy ship's ability to catch up and fight while in warp(Something I am still not even sure had been done before in any format of Star Trek). Wouldn't firing an energy beam through a warp bubble penetrate the bubble, and thus break it, causing the ship to spin out of warp? Well on to continuing my point. Yes, the captain is egotistic and thinks he can beat anything, so why the hell did he just not ram the big ship and destroy it with the enterprise's warp core? Yes everyone dies but at least you go down fighting. Also, the person controlling the big ship knew ship design very very well, so why was the Enterprise not taken out as soon as it was obvious that shots were penetrating the shield? One hit near the engine room would have overloaded the warp core.

The strategy used during the "Ship to Ship" combat in the Wrath of Khan was what made that movie. Khan did not need a ship 3 times more powerful than the enterprise to beat it. His intellect and advantage of surprise was what almost won him the fight. The Enterprise was actually more powerful than Khan's ship. It was like watching a chess match where each side took advantage of what they had to try to win.

The new reboot movie was ok and had it's good moments but it was a far cry from the original "Wrath of Khan". The Enterprise could easily go underwater with no technical issues at all as long as there was room. Now why the Enterprise would choose to do this over just being in the atmosphere maybe had to do with signal interference caused by the volcano making it where they actually had to get the ship closer for transporters to work. The only other theory I have is that JJ Abrams thought it would be an awesome special effect shot to show the Enterprise coming out of water, which it was. It is kind of like a producer wanting a giant spider to be in a Superman movie. I agree that the contacting of the old spock was just stupid.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The story was ok. The problem I had with this movie was the ship to ship fight. That was just plain stupid. Enterprise does no evasive maneuvers and does not really even fight back. As soon as they saw that huge ship and found out who was running it they should have warped the hell out of there. You can continue the conversation in warp. They had no idea of the enemy ship's ability to catch up and fight while in warp(Something I am still not even sure had been done before in any format of Star Trek). Wouldn't firing an energy beam through a warp bubble penetrate the bubble, and thus break it, causing the ship to spin out of warp? Well on to continuing my point. Yes, the captain is egotistic and thinks he can beat anything, so why the hell did he just not ram the big ship and destroy it with the enterprise's warp core? Yes everyone dies but at least you go down fighting. Also, the person controlling the big ship knew ship design very very well, so why was the Enterprise not taken out as soon as it was obvious that shots were penetrating the shield? One hit near the engine room would have overloaded the warp core.

The strategy used during the "Ship to Ship" combat in the Wrath of Khan was what made that movie. Khan did not need a ship 3 times more powerful than the enterprise to beat it. His intellect and advantage of surprise was what almost won him the fight. The Enterprise was actually more powerful than Khan's ship. It was like watching a chess match where each side took advantage of what they had to try to win.

The new reboot movie was ok and had it's good moments but it was a far cry from the original "Wrath of Khan". The Enterprise could easily go underwater with no technical issues at all as long as there was room. Now why the Enterprise would choose to do this over just being in the atmosphere maybe had to do with signal interference caused by the volcano making it where they actually had to get the ship closer for transporters to work. The only other theory I have is that JJ Abrams thought it would be an awesome special effect shot to show the Enterprise coming out of water, which it was. It is kind of like a producer wanting a giant spider to be in a Superman movie. I agree that the contacting of the old spock was just stupid.
while i enjoyed the movie and the nostalgia that went with it, i couldn't help but agree with alot of what you said... "SINCE WHEN CAN SHIPS FIRE WHILE IN WARP!?" and "oh... scotty gets to advance teleporter technology by 400 years because eric bana." and also, my personal favorite... "if khan can effectively command a city sized star ship all by himself... why do any of them require crews?"

but, at the end of the day, i enjoyed it. it wasn't perfect. there were plenty of plot holes but you'll find them anywhere... my BIGGEST gripe has been noted earlier... i really wish they went with a different khan. yeah, he's amoral and ruthless... but only from a certain point of view. i would have liked much more conspiracy and framing from admiral marcus to point khan as the scapegoat, and less "well his name is khan, so he has to be a villian." i would have loved to have seen khan as a bridge officer.

also... as much as i like kirk. he should have died and stayed dead. i mean, if you're going to retell old stories... change them... it's like when a song comes out and then a year later another band records that same song except puts a slight country twang in it and goes LOOK IT'S DIFFERENT!! no.. no it's not. now it just sucks.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did not even touch on the whole "Magic Blood" portion of the movie. I would think that the method used to bring back Kirk would revolutionize medicine even for that time frame.

OMG he lost a hand"!!! No problem, inject him with this blood and hold the hand next to the wrist. He will regenerate the connection. " But sir he lost the hand" . Ok just give him the blood and wait a few days for the new hand to grow back.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Except the blood is from a person who was created by sciences that is totally outlawed now. Unless they were going down the path of "Dark Starfleet" in this timeline, that's not going to happen.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Wait, what? They fire weapons and transport while in warp? But took the enterprise underwater 'just cuz'? Lol fucking hilarious.

JJ, BRAH. COZ U KNO.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Eh, firing at warp is plausible enough when they were at point blank range like that. Plus we're talking about fake, made up technology that can be changed at whim.

But you really think Khan would ever take orders from anyone? Bridge officer, hah. Not without holding his people hostage. The entire reason he was frozen and exiled to begin with was he nearly took over the world. I don't see him changing his mind.

As far as the one-man ship, well, we saw a good example of why they don't do that. There was likely a lot of computer automation involved, and since every other Star Trek episode/movie featured a computer malfunctioning or being exploited we know how that goes. It's also the same reason we don't let one guy have control over launching nukes.

Khan helped design the ship, so maybe that vulnerability was exactly what he had in mind. That makes the name "Vengeance" rather ironic. They intended it to mean the Klingons but Khan had a different enemy in mind.