Star Trek - Into Darkness

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
ST6 is the only trek movie with a solid plot with actual intrigue and unexpected plot twists. Literally the only one that was written above average. Some of the others are good movies for other reasons, but plot has never been a hallmark of Star Trek movies.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
ST6 would have been at least 10x cooler if they had gotten Kirstie Alley to come back as Saavik instead of Valeris. Having Saavik be the traitor as was originally planned would have been a major twist that people would still be talking about.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Do you think it's still cool to hate on things that most people like? You are actually debating with yourself on whether to pirate a movie or not then sit through 2 hours of so called steaming pile of shit just to prove a point? Really? Are you trolling me? You have to be trolling.... I hope you are trolling.
I vote with my wallet. I don't pay for shit. I don't throw my money at idiots who serve shit up for the masses simply to make gobs of money. I don't purchase EA products, and I probably won't ever buy a Blizzard product after modern WoW and D3 again.

I don't pay for garbage. Does that make sense? I pay for awesome entertainment - CEREBRAL entertainment, not mindless cg explosions mixed with titties and daily quests.

Star Trek was the final stand, the last line of defense against the transformation of every piece of media into the same generic formula: every form of entertainment is turning into the same blob-life mass of mindless pretty colors and titties on a screen with no substance or commitment needed whatsoever. Idiocracy is truly within our grasp.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I vote with my wallet. I don't pay for shit. I don't throw my money at idiots who serve shit up for the masses simply to make gobs of money. I don't purchase EA products, and I probably won't ever buy a Blizzard product after modern WoW and D3 again.

I don't pay for garbage. Does that make sense? I pay for awesome entertainment - CEREBRAL entertainment, not mindless cg explosions mixed with titties and daily quests.

Star Trek was the final stand, the last line of defense against the transformation of every piece of media into the same generic formula: every form of entertainment is turning into the same blob-life mass of mindless pretty colors and titties on a screen with no substance or commitment needed whatsoever. Idiocracy is truly within our grasp.
But you'd still waste time sitting on a forum bashing a movie you've never seen. Searching for a pirated version. Download it. Watch it for 2 hours. Go back to the forums and bash it some more. So instead of wasting 15 bucks you've just wasted around 3-4 hours of your life (which is around 60 bucks if you worked that 3-4 hours on minimum wage) on something you supposedly think is an utter disgrace..... Are you trolling your own life?

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
Finally got around to seeing this. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Some things that bugged me though...

(1) Lens Flare - Dead horse topic. I never noticed this in the first movie, but it was pointed out so much that it really cannot be unseen here.

(2) Blonde girl undressing scene - I like naked chicks as much as the next person but that was such a strange, gratuitous scene. I think they should have cut that and extended the scene with Kirk and the alien twins - those girls were much cuter.

(3) I understand they are trying to alternate reality mirror STII - but the whole "Khaaaaan" scene was emotionally bereft. In STII, Kirk and Spock had been adventuring with each other for years, decades maybe? It sucks when your oldest bestest BFF dies of radiation poisoning while doing one last bro-five. Here, it's two guys that have mostly been bickering with each other. Yeah, Kirk had treated Spock pretty well, but they had known each other for a year, tops? Mostly dicking around federation space? Would have been better if Spock just muttered "Khan..." under his breath.

(4) Unlimited supply of resurrection tonic will probably never be heard from again.

Juvarisx

Florida

Sorry you lose. Not to mention how god awful Voyager was, or Enterprise shitting over everyhting (hi2u Borg) or Insurrection or the two movies down below.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Enterprise was good, except for the ones that weren't. I really liked the crew but some episode plots were fucking awful.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to seeing this. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Some things that bugged me though...

(1) Lens Flare - Dead horse topic. I never noticed this in the first movie, but it was pointed out so much that it really cannot be unseen here.

(2) Blonde girl undressing scene - I like naked chicks as much as the next person but that was such a strange, gratuitous scene. I think they should have cut that and extended the scene with Kirk and the alien twins - those girls were much cuter.

(3) I understand they are trying to alternate reality mirror STII - but the whole "Khaaaaan" scene was emotionally bereft. In STII, Kirk and Spock had been adventuring with each other for years, decades maybe? It sucks when your oldest bestest BFF dies of radiation poisoning while doing one last bro-five. Here, it's two guys that have mostly been bickering with each other. Yeah, Kirk had treated Spock pretty well, but they had known each other for a year, tops? Mostly dicking around federation space? Would have been better if Spock just muttered "Khan..." under his breath.

(4) Unlimited supply of resurrection tonic will probably never be heard from again.
shit I didn't even think about number 4, I really like the movie and i was really glad they didn't Kill Khan, but i was a little upset that they re-froze him, was kinda hopeing for abandonment on deserted plant like in the original.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still about 10 pages back on this thread since I've been avoiding it until I watched it, so I won't comment on anything else until I've caught up, but holy shit, how does anyone on the bridge of the Enterprise not go blind? The lights are like heart of the sun bright. Of course, Robocop's bridge has like one nightlight so we understand that he's evil. I never noticed the lens flare in the first one, and it has honestly never, ever bothered me in any other movies that I'm aware of, but every fucking scene on the bridge of the Enterprise was practically obscured by the massive flares. And I was watching a cam rip that was pretty fucking dark too. There's artistic and then there's way too fucking much, and this was even beyond that.

The changes to beaming shit from one end of the galaxy to the other really annoy me too. I'm sure it is probably mentioned a bunch in the replies I haven't read yet, but that's the biggest gripe I have with the movie. I enjoyed it well enough for the action movie that it was, but I'd have just beamed shit all over the place and annihilated every hostile alien race by now if I had that sort of technology. Fuck starships. Not to mention a "phone call" from the Klingon home world to a nightclub in London. Christ. Did they not even give a shit about that sort of thing?

iannis

Musty Nester
ST6 is the only trek movie with a solid plot with actual intrigue and unexpected plot twists. Literally the only one that was written above average. Some of the others are good movies for other reasons, but plot has never been a hallmark of Star Trek movies.
I dunno. The motion picture has a pretty solid plot (if simple) and a neat premise. It's kind of the perfect Star Trek movie. I thought of Wrath of Khan as kind of an action flick until reading some of the reviews of it. If I'd ever read Moby Dick maybe I woulda picked up on that stuff, but the plot (if simple) was solid.

I couldn't really tell you what ST:2009 was even about. I watched it and didn't think it was terrible. I couldn't really even tell you what THIS movie was about. And I don't think it was terrible, but I dunno wtf I just watched. ST1 was about baldvaginaveeja, ST2 was about neitzsche's superman, twisted with impotent hate, wreaking personal revenge on an old enemy. And ear slugs. It was about ear slugs.

Plot twists and intrigue don't much fit into corebrand star trek. That's a DS9 sort of thing.

I mean the movie was ok, but beyond the captain being named Kirk and the government being named The Federation of Planets I don't really see that it was a Star Trek movie.

Edit: It's kind of like very pretty but confusing fan fiction.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Fuck you get payed 20 bucks an hour at Mcdonalds. Australia is a great place for unqualified people to make a pretty good living. Not to mention our dollar is pretty much as strong as America's if not better.

Caliane

I'm still about 10 pages back on this thread since I've been avoiding it until I watched it, so I won't comment on anything else until I've caught up, but holy shit, how does anyone on the bridge of the Enterprise not go blind? The lights are like heart of the sun bright. Of course, Robocop's bridge has like one nightlight so we understand that he's evil. I never noticed the lens flare in the first one, and it has honestly never, ever bothered me in any other movies that I'm aware of, but every fucking scene on the bridge of the Enterprise was practically obscured by the massive flares. And I was watching a cam rip that was pretty fucking dark too. There's artistic and then there's way too fucking much, and this was even beyond that.

The changes to beaming shit from one end of the galaxy to the other really annoy me too. I'm sure it is probably mentioned a bunch in the replies I haven't read yet, but that's the biggest gripe I have with the movie. I enjoyed it well enough for the action movie that it was, but I'd have just beamed shit all over the place and annihilated every hostile alien race by now if I had that sort of technology. Fuck starships. Not to mention a "phone call" from the Klingon home world to a nightclub in London. Christ. Did they not even give a shit about that sort of thing?
I think im the only one that mentioned that teleport thing. Seriously, that was bizarre. (and the phone call)
I mean sure. there are plenty of technologies in star trek that make zero sense. and honestly the same can be applied to the resurrection juice.
teleporters in general, holodeck and replicators really stand out for example. or even cloaking, which was "outlawed" becuase it was broken, OP, and killed story telling.

Teleporters in ST have been shown to be able to make copies of people. instant lossless cloning. Again, sure probably illegal. but someone ought to be doing it. At very least, the Borg would have no problems doing it.
Its hard to understand why they have transports at all with teleporters. Its not as though volume is an issue. Repeatedly shown teleporting large quantities, in this movie alone, all torpedoes at once.
Here in this movie, teleporting from Earth to Kronus. seriously, holy shit. That is galaxy changing.
Replicators. All your needs magically met by a wish granting machine. This tech would fundamentally change how people live. Does starfleet lord over this tech, and keep it away from civilians?

Can teleport to kronus from Earth..
Needs to fire torpedoes from neutral zone to attack it. instead of just teleporting a bomb there.
needs to enlist an employee with blackmail, instead of just teleporting a bomb inside.
doesnt teleport his friends out.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they have the ability to teleport from one planet to the other, what the hell is the neutral zone even for? The whole idea of the zone was to create a buffer between two areas that allowed the enemy time to intercept any hostiles prior to reaching populated regions. Being able to teleport a seriously large .....bomb to any planet kind of negates the whole reason for a neutral zone. The more I think about that one flaw, the more I am getting disgusted with the whole movie now. I realize it is an alternate reality, but that really was a stupid leap. Starships might as well have been giant unicorns in space with over- sized wizards that just shot at each other from one planet to the other. That I would have at least laughed my ass off at and thought that my drink might have been spiked from some employee out to alter the movie experience.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Again, that transporter isn't something that is common knowledge for existing. The information and specs for it was given to them by other timeline Spock....where for some reason people with rustled jimmies are forgetting DID exist...(this timelines Scotty was already working on the theories for it in the first movie, Spock just gave them the perfected forumla).

All the ships in the fleet aren't cruising around with it and frankly, I wouldn't let them. One ship gets captured and enemies all the sudden have the tech for themselves.

I don't get why people are so upset with the transporter thing when it's not new to this movie. All that happened was they got the tech for it sooner than they did in the timeline we knew.