Star Trek: Picard

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
how did s2 end up? I watched the first episode and kind of lost interest but wondering if it's worth watching now that s3 is basically tng

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

It's a mixed bag. The highlights are the Q/Picard interactions (which unfortunately are few) and I liked the Borg Queen

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I didn't watch past the 1st episode. Once I realized they were doing another time-traveling theme, I lost all drive to keep going.

I'll have to get around to it eventually I guess.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
how did s2 end up? I watched the first episode and kind of lost interest but wondering if it's worth watching now that s3 is basically tng
It ends up with the time travel saving the day... Back to where we were in the first 10 minutes only it's all better now.

And we got to learn about Picard's troubled youth, his abusive father, his tortured mother, we found out 7 of 9 is a lesbo, Q is gay for Picard, undocumented immigrants are unfairly abused, female astronauts will be heading to Jupiter in 2 years, black females were unfairly kept out of captain status in the Federation, female computer coders are capable of advanced practices in medicine (and so are most Latino females in LA), cops are abusive and racist, chicks make the best drivers (even if they have never driven a car before), you can fuck up all kinds of things in the 21st century and never screw-up the future (because the butterfly effect isn't real), phasers suck against guns, Data's great-great-great (etc) grandfather was a sociopathic douche-bag, cloning is way more advance than you realize, Guinan has fallen WAY WAY WAY out of shape, Vulcans (or maybe Romulans) have been on Earth for a really really long time (so that 22nd century First Contact shit is all BS), and more episodes with less plot is better...

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

And we got to learn about Picard's troubled youth, his abusive father, his tortured mother,

You didn't pay attention then. Picard was viewing his father and mother through the eyes of a child. With an adult perspective, he realizes that his mother was mentally ill and his father (who seemed cruel in his eyes as a kid) was actually trying to do his damnest to keep Picard alive and try to handle his suicidal wife. Then Picard as a kid lets her out of the room and she kills herself. We don't see the years afterwards, but that presumably fucked his father up. The later scenes in the season vindicated the father a lot and Picard realized he had been wrong about him

Vulcans (or maybe Romulans) have been on Earth for a really really long time (so that 22nd century First Contact shit is all BS

Vulcans were on Earth prior to First Contact - Voyager and Enterprise both touched on this. They were mostly conducting scientific and anthropological studies of the human race/Earth. Starfleet does the same shit during the various Trek shows: They keep hidden and observe the developing cultures.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wonder what the Orange Man Bad allegory will be next season....

Patrick Stewart is basically shitting all over his legacy with this shit. Literally retconning the best parts of TNG (which honestly has not held up too well) so he and his handlers can be preachy with the SJW shit. I think this show might actually be worse than Discovery.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You didn't pay attention then. Picard was viewing his father and mother through the eyes of a child. With an adult perspective, he realizes that his mother was mentally ill and his father (who seemed cruel in his eyes as a kid) was actually trying to do his damnest to keep Picard alive and try to handle his suicidal wife. Then Picard as a kid lets her out of the room and she kills herself. We don't see the years afterwards, but that presumably fucked his father up. The later scenes in the season vindicated the father a lot and Picard realized he had been wrong about him

Vulcans were on Earth prior to First Contact - Voyager and Enterprise both touched on this. They were mostly conducting scientific and anthropological studies of the human race/Earth. Starfleet does the same shit during the various Trek shows: They keep hidden and observe the developing cultures.
Thank you for the clarification. That makes me want to dig right in.

Sounds like riveting television and carries on the themes established in TNG.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Yup; must have been part of the many extended hours of fillers that seemed nothing like Trek that I dozed off for a few...
Thank you for clarifying. So Balter is not a bad guy?

spronk

FPS noob
I wonder what the Orange Man Bad allegory will be next season....

Patrick Stewart is basically shitting all over his legacy with this shit. Literally retconning the best parts of TNG (which honestly has not held up too well) so he and his handlers can be preachy with the SJW shit. I think this show might actually be worse than Discovery.

RLM said it best, Patrick Stewart isn't playing Picard in the show he is playing Patrick Stewart. I mean he even has his adopted dog (who is an absolute cutie) in the show, while in the original TNG run a fan even remembered a scene where Picard says he doesn't like small animals, only horses lol

but to the topic, the show is absolutely not worth a watch, adds absolutely nothing, and you can just watch one of the summary videos to see the 4 min scene between Data/Picard in season 1 and the ~5 mins of Q/Picard in season 2 that are the only things worth watching in ~18 hours of crap.

will I watch season 3? sure, I like the TNG cast and enjoy seeing them together again no matter the context but I expect it to be full of shit just like season 2.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

Cybsled

Yup; must have been part of the many extended hours of fillers that seemed nothing like Trek that I dozed off for a few...
Thank you for clarifying. So Balter is not a bad guy?

Nope. Basically Picard realizes that because of the trauma of what he did as a kid, he essentially made his father the villain in his memories when in actuality his father was a hero. It's implied that Picard would probably ended up dead if not for his dad, that is how fucking unhinged his mother was.

• 2Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Nope. Basically Picard realizes that because of the trauma of what he did as a kid, he essentially made his father the villain in his memories when in actuality his father was a hero. It's implied that Picard would probably ended up dead if not for his dad, that is how fucking unhinged his mother was.
Soooooo, a white European male can be a good guy? That's science fiction!

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Literally retconning the best parts of TNG (which honestly has not held up too well) so he and his handlers can be preachy with the SJW shit. I think this show might actually be worse than Discovery.

I have to agree big time. Again, I remember waiting for episodes of TNG to air (and putting up with that sort-of disastrous) first season. The show had it's moments of glory for certain. But it also had a lot of crap-ola. But again, that was kind of expected in those days, when you produced 20+ episodes a year on a rigorous schedule (and every actor just dreamed of becoming a movie star and getting out of the ghetto that was on-air TV). Times have changed! And yeah-- TNG seems dated and dry and pompous when viewed with a modern-day lens. But it was a break-out sci-fi show. And, not every TV show can make every episode fun (like the Rockford Files).

I guess I am a bad Trekkie, because I could not get into DS9 (but it was a good show, just too long-format for me in real-time), Voyager (I tried), or Enterprise (I tried) and Discovery sucked so bad in the first episode (WHY make the Klingons sooo different) that I soured from time-zero.

Kudos to Lower Decks, however; that show rocks. And, of course, to SNW which hits all the right notes for me.

PS-- non-sequitor, you know what show holds up? Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

spronk

FPS noob
TNG, all 7 seasons, is currently $25 on vudu. Also free on paramount+ or torrents

• 1Like

Cybsled

Trailer didn't really do much for me (although I chuckled at peaceful Worf)...although the very end of the trailer

Moriarty AND Lore? Ok, I'm a little interested now

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Looks like a nice sendoff. I'm eager to see the capstone to the Next Gen crew before they Kelvinize them

• 1Like