Star Trek: Picard

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Star Trek's message is in direct opposition to modern identity politics.

This is true. Some of what irks the anti-SJW crowd is because what used to be actual social justice, is now considered racism; combine that with the utter hypocrisy behind the ideological standards and you get a lot of frustration because it does actively cause cognitive dissonance--people won't just forget that 4 legs good, 2 legs bad when you decide to shove in there "sometimes 2 legs BETTER!". Which is kind of how you got a forum of most long time Liberals who now hate social justice messaging, and IMO is also part of the cause of the bad writing. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing and if you can ignore it, it makes you pretty irrational. And in Hollywood, there is some wholesale ignoring of how their ideology is sheering away from reality--and its coming through in their work.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Being progressive or utopian=/=SJW. Mostly what being SJW means is that subtly and symbolism and stretched to the point of breaking and become overt preaching that shits on the story in favor of "the message". (IE story with some symbolism vs propaganda) This should be reversed.

For example: Mad Max is a super feminist, female empowerment film. Its one of my favorite films of the modern era, can't get enough of it. Has a huge social justice message, but the director did not make the message more important than the story, and it shows. People just want that level of subtly; but the issue is you have a bunch of people who are genuine zealots now looking for praise from a cult and they WANT the material to be overt...very overt, to get more praise and cover for their lack of ability. This is bad, and people need to show they don't like this behavior so it counter balances Hollywood fart sniffing.

This and your previous reply I agree with, and you make a fair point about why people are inclined to go anti-SJW by default.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Trek always had the decency to present their messages in a much more nuanced way, and often with both sides of the argument. Discovery (and probably this) just beat you over the head with their blunt messaging so that even if it was something worth saying (it's not) anyone capable of critical thought is going to be turned off of it to start with.

• 4Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
OG Trek was also presenting their messages during a time when there were actual serious societal problems those messages were addressing, not this contemporary tilting at windmill bullshit which is what I mean whenever I use the term SJW.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Where can i stream this cause I sure as fuck aint paying for CBS All access.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Much as I think a lot of you guys focus way too much on this sjw shit, I found Stewart's comments pretty disappointing. Discovery was dumb, this looked cool I was excited for it. The last thing I want in my progressive futurism is to fucking hear about Trump again. For fucks sake, I'd pay extra for a tv service just to not have to hear about this motherfucker every second of every day. So instead of the promise of finally moving the timeline forward and exploring new possibilities we get another tired fascism allegory. trek was always progressive, and Stewart was always a lefty, there are interviews with him in the 90s decrying the Iraq and Faulkland wars and the tyrannical leadership of our countries. That's all cool, be as political as you want, but let me have my goddamn sci fi without this.

That's the whole appeal of the fucking show, a future in which we have transcended modern bullshit problems and are exploring the universe. It's not surprising that he lost sight of that but it is surprising that the people making it did.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
There seems to be a lot of judgement about this series before even a single episode is released.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There seems to be a lot of judgement about this series before even a single episode is released.

“Picard” finds its hero living in near-isolation on a very un-cosmic French vineyard. He is retired and estranged from Starfleet, the interstellar navy to which he devoted most of his life. He’s haunted by a pair of catastrophes, one personal, the other societal — the death of his android colleague Lt. Cmdr. Data (as seen in “Nemesis”) and a refugee crisis spawned by the destruction of the planet Romulus (as seen in Abrams’ “Star Trek”). When those two seemingly disparate strands of his life cross, Picard returns to action, this time without the backing of a Starfleet whose moral center has shifted.

The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

"Space Trump demonizes shifty, untrustworthy Romulan refugees in bid for power" is the vibe I'm getting from the promotional interviews but there's always the hope that Stewart's seeing more than what's there.

Imagine if TOS constantly going on and on about Space Richard Nixon and the Space Vietnam War or Space Bill Clinton was a recurring character on TNG. They would have been dated out of the gate. I want the show to be good but it looks heavy on the action and politics and light on the Picard solving problems with words.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

Cybsled

Because if this forum gets a whiff of anything approaching a world view that doesn't conform to "god emperor Trump", they begin to Reeee and thrash about in pain.

• 10Picard
  • 3GreNeg
  • 3Like
Reactions: 17 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Because if this forum gets a whiff of anything approaching a world view that doesn't conform to "god emperor Trump", they begin to Reeee and thrash about in pain.
Look man, I hate Trump like nobody's business, fuck that guy.

This still sounds bad. Core concept is a departure from traditional Star Trek values and themes in order to say something about modern day political movements that doesn't need to be said and is antithetical to the entire idea of Star Trek.

When it comes out, maybe this is all overblown, maybe Stewart was just talking shit, maybe it recaptures TNG and moves the ball forward on a progressive vision of the possibilities of humanity in the future. Sure the fuck doesn't sound like it, though.

• 2Like
  • 1GreNeg
  • 1Garbage

Cybsled

Look man, I hate Trump like nobody's business, fuck that guy.

This still sounds bad. Core concept is a departure from traditional Star Trek values and themes in order to say something about modern day political movements that doesn't need to be said and is antithetical to the entire idea of Star Trek.

When it comes out, maybe this is all overblown, maybe Stewart was just talking shit, maybe it recaptures TNG and moves the ball forward on a progressive vision of the possibilities of humanity in the future. Sure the fuck doesn't sound like it, though.
Then we watch the show and make judgement. All this internet detective shit always makes a mountain of a molehill

• 3Salty

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What detective shit? The people from this show came out and outright said that its intended to be to be a SJW political fiesta.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The idea that calling Romulans shifty and untrustworthy makes you space Trump is a pretty glaring sign of SJW brain rot.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Then we watch the show and make judgement. All this internet detective shit always makes a mountain of a molehill
i hope so. But i don't think it's unreasonable,given that Discovery sucked, to dig into the show a bit before it airs. There's a difference, I think, in trying to nostrodumbass the behind the scenes machinations from pure speculation and reading what the creators/stars have actually stated.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I always love it when showrunners come out and say how the show is going to be, and then people are like 'wtf that's gay', and then omega retards like our usual suspects around here are like "hur dur you haven't seen the show dont judge!"

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The idea that calling Romulans shifty and untrustworthy makes you space Trump is a pretty glaring sign of SJW brain rot.

Wasn't Vulcan also destroyed in this timeline? Curious why it only mentions the destruction of Romulus as causing some sort of immigration issue.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wasn't Vulcan also destroyed in this timeline? Curious why it only mentions the destruction of Romulus as causing some sort of immigration issue.

Different continuities. Romulus gets destroyed, Nero travels back in time and destroys Vulcan.