Star Trek: Picard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Different continuities. Romulus gets destroyed, Nero travels back in time and destroys Vulcan.

So Picard is only set in the continuity with Romulus destroyed and not Vulcan. Interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

I never got the full lowdown on the supernova that wiped out Romulus, how much of their Empire gets obliterated beyond their capital world?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There seems to be a lot of judgement about this series before even a single episode is released.

There seems to be a lot of terrible shit coming out of the showrunners and main actor's mouths before even a single episode is released.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The Tal Shiar were the assholes, so if they are truly gone, then the remaining Romulans would get a bad rap

Merrith

The Tal Shiar were the assholes, so if they are truly gone, then the remaining Romulans would get a bad rap

Remember that bad Troi episode where she gets kidnapped and altered to appear Romulan because they need her to act as one of the Tal Shiar to help smuggle spies back to the Federation? I swear the actress who played the Romulan captain of that ship has had other guest starring roles on Trek more than once before or since.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
>writer-showrunner duo speak out together
>implications
>lead actor piles on to what's been said by people who make creative decisions for show
>corroboration

>detective shit

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I never got the full lowdown on the supernova that wiped out Romulus, how much of their Empire gets obliterated beyond their capital world?

I think Spock’s description was the whole “Romulan Star Empire.” But just checked Memory Alpha and it only mentions Romulus.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Well with Abrams no longer around to shit on the laws of physics, I doubt a single nova is going to be capable of affecting multiple systems unless Romulus just happened to be part of an abnormally tight star cluster.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I swear the actress who played the Romulan captain of that ship has had other guest starring roles on Trek more than once before or since.

She did

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, when Stewart directly says that the show will be a condemnation of Trump, Brexit, and basically the "alt right" then there's no pre-judgement going on. Just regular old judgement.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Merrith

She did

That's which one I specifically remembered her from, the first contact one where Riker was in the hospital.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, it was just some interesting shit. Some other sites I saw mentioned that it depends on distance, but anything within 4 light years or so would be in a lot of danger.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
'Hinder the formation of life in multiple systems on an astronomical time scale' is not the same thing as 'Instantly wipe out multiple star systems inhabited by an advanced FTL capable species'
This. Even if the event was powerful enough to wipe out adjacent star systems as well, it still would have to travel at the speed of light, therefore giving literally years to evacuate the other systems to be affected.

You're not much of an "Empire" if losing one system cripples you for good, it is known to anyone who ever played Master of Orion.

• 1Rustled

Malakriss

I knew they started retconning and hand waving the science behind the supernova after the fact (cause in reality it's dumb and impossible) but I never heard the extent of what it destroyed. I just looked it up on Memory Alpha and it lists the specific causalities as only that one star system.
The Star Trek novelization instead stated that the star had merely threatened systems in its own vicinity rather than the entire galaxy.

It is revealed during the course of Star Trek Online itself that the supernova was not a natural occurrence: the supernova and the unusual behavior of its shockwave were caused by an Iconian-designed doomsday weapon deployed by rogue members of the Tal Shiar.

In the more recent reference book Stellar Cartography: The Starfleet Reference Library ("Stellar Cartography", p. 35), the explosion of Hobus was called a "subspace supernova". This event resulted in the destruction of the entire Romulan star system, with billions killed.

A third explanation appears in the backstory of Star Trek Online, which states that the shockwave from the Hobus explosion propagated through subspace at faster-than-light speeds and reached the Romulan system in just over a day, destroying both Romulus and Remus mere hours into an evacuation expected to take six weeks. A scandal occurred several years later involving rumors that the Vulcan Science Academy knew about the instability of the star but did nothing until Spock attempted to save Romulus with the Jellyfish. The scandal resulted in several resignations and sowed seeds of distrust towards the Vulcans.

Malakriss

What's really dumb is that STO explanation basically means Spock did not help or save anything. The galaxy wasn't in danger he was only trying to save Romulus and failed.

Which cheapens the entire reboot and Nero's motivations since Spock was specifically trying to save his family instead of everyone else after-the-fact.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Star Trek Online to learn canon lore? *barf*

the IP is truly lost.

I think technically it is “Prime” Lore and not “Canon” Lore since it was all made under the Paramount / Bad Robot banner and not CBS so cant technically be canon but just exists in this Paramount Prime universe along with the Kelvin one.

• 1Like