Star Trek: Picard

Caliane

the fascinating thing is that TNG season 1 was AWFUL. Like absolutely wretchedly bad, you have the second or third episode where they visit "planet of the black people", Tasha Yar is an annoying cunt, Worf acts and looks like a retard, all Troi can talk about is "I sense something...", and Wesley Crusher is a walking zit. Season 2 starts improving a little bit but the show doesn't get its groove until halfway thru that even.

Nowadays a show like that would have gotten cancelled almost certainly halfway thru season 1, kinda sad to think about shows that had the right idea and core but didn't get the chance to fix their issues. You gotta get it right out of the gate or you are done.
yeah, but it was like Orville bad, not Discovery bad. Like ,sure we all give Orville high praise. But really thats just because its far better then it has any right to be, and in comparison to the trash of Discovery, and the last like 10 Star Trek entries. The Orville in a vacuum is not particularly great. If it keeps going, and really gets its feet, it might become great. But atm, its largely one note characters, and kindof all over the place in quality. not unlike s1-2 of TNG.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
There's a couple background technology scenes in this video, seems much more casual integration with daily life

There's also some Q&A that was done with people who saw the first three episodes at the premiere event. I'll spoiler the reddit link but the discussion is intentionally a non-spoiler review of how the series will be compared to 90s Trek. The top comment has a good breakdown if you want the cliff notes.
but "the Star Trek we know is dead and gone" [in terms of visual style and feel.] "It's not going to feel like 90s Trek ever again."

I have to wonder why they got people who dislike the product to write a new one.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Well, it isn’t always a bad thing. Prime example: People who hated the newer BSG because it wasn’t like the 70s BSG

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Tons of TOS fans hated TNG at the start. Letter writing campaigns of hatred and everything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i was a teen when TNG came out, remember every geeky kid being super hyped for it. the comic shop was collecting articles and taping them to the wall for everyone to read. still remember the national enquirer was one of the first place to publish a pic of the enterprise and it was upside down. you didn't even need cable to watch.
as bad as it some of seems now, it was all great back then.
what else scifi was there to watch back then, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Doctor Who repeats? our pbs lost DW after the upped the price. hell they couldn't even afford to show the 5th doctor before that.

I met someone who loathes TNG and refused to watch it during its original run/syndication.

I just left it at that. I had never met someone who generally likes the genre and thought TNG was unwatchable. He watches anything high fantasy and sci-fi except TNG. I said I never heard of that in my life. He's a few years younger than me so maybe that's it.

7of9 spinoff when

I mean she really hasn't even aged a day lol. At the Picard premiere last week.

1579554121127.png

We all know what happens when actors are in really good shape though from Mark Hamill. Gotta waste them in the worst way possible. Here's to hoping she's not just a cameo.

Troi, Riker and Data are all confirmed to be cameo roles.

If 7/9 is a cameo, I don't know if I can deal. I'd be pretty rustled.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Tons of TOS fans hated TNG at the start. Letter writing campaigns of hatred and everything.
huge TOS fan here, i watched one or two episodes of the first season of TNG and i hated it. never looked back. the movies were alright though. cept that last TNG movie. not sure wtf that was about. my dad loved him some TOS and TNG. i wish i could have liked it, but Captain James Tyberius Kirk is the only true Captain of the Enterprise.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 4 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
TNG fans wrote hate letters for DS9 as well. Star trek fans pick a captain and die on that need hill.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He's COMMANDER Worf of House Martok and was assigned as diplomat to Kronos!

The Troi/Worf pairing in later seasons would have gone fast and hard where Worf bangs her before the entire senior staff while everyone claps. I think Netflix did this already?

The Witcher has a scene exactly like that, with bi-racial banging in front of an applauding crowd. I didn't put much thought in it. The show does shoehorn in a lot of Kindly Black Characters (they never seem to be villains) even though the source game takes place in a Scandinavia-equivalent with like no black people.

Know what, though? I don't mind any of this because it's a quality show, and diversifying the cast without it being at the detriment of show quality isn't the worst thing in the world. I never felt like it was being preachy or any of that stuff. YMMV.

• 1Barf

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
huge TOS fan here, i watched one or two episodes of the first season of TNG and i hated it. never looked back. the movies were alright though. cept that last TNG movie. not sure wtf that was about. my dad loved him some TOS and TNG. i wish i could have liked it, but Captain James Tyberius Kirk is the only true Captain of the Enterprise.

Kirk was the best because he's the man all boys want to grow up to be. Diplomatic but not afraid to fire phasers when needed, and plows the local alien princess only to warp 5 outta there before she can get his number. He was like the fucking James Bond of space. Picard was a boring geriatric soy pansy that rarely left the bridge and the rest of the cast were a bunch of ableist or diversity whiners except for maybe Worf and Riker. I watched all the TNG episodes out of principle, but with the exception of the borg storyline it was mostly "babysitting in space". Data/Troi episodes were the worst, and/or anything involving the holodeck.

Also at it's core, TOS was about exploration and the unknown. Almost every episode was them exploring something unfamiliar.. TNG was all pretty much established space with known planets, with constant dipomatic and alien ferrying episodes. The "unknown exploration" aspect is far more interesting to me, which is probably why I liked Voyager.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users