Star Trek: Picard

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The only Golden Age for Trek was the 90s

TOS breaking in to popular culture (something DS9, Voyager and Enterprise all failed to accomplish) and spawning a series of successful movies was a real accomplishment.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
"We're entering a second Golden Age of Star Trek"

lol

I will believe that when any of these properties air on the broadcast CBS, rather than just being "Please subscribe to this piss ant third tier streaming service" bait....

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man it's like they knew Discovery was gonna suck and decided to pull the old man out of retirement for this show, it's probably gonna be all style no substances.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nah.

The Orville. Just watch that for your Star Trek fix.

My only problem with The Orville is that McFarlane is too much of a goofy bastard. He can't help it, and he probably shouldn't. It's just part of who he is.

But he's done better with it since anybody except roddenberry himself. Roddenberry was also a goofy bastard, but of a different sort. Less with the dick and fart jokes, more with the idealistic social hypotheticals.

I love me some DS9. It has the exact right balance of Roddenberry's vision combined with some "nature of man" realism. Which rodenberry very pointedly ignores, because his focus is to become the change you want to see. DS9 is a strong bridge between theory and practice.

You can tell a gritty war story in the star trek universe, but it's just not star trek. That goofy idealism is an integral part of it. McFarlane does manage to capture it at times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
TOS breaking in to popular culture (something DS9, Voyager and Enterprise all failed to accomplish) and spawning a series of successful movies was a real accomplishment.
TOS was good, but TNG was legendary. It still stands out as one of the best TV series of all time.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
TOS was good, but TNG was legendary. It still stands out as one of the best TV series of all time.

the fascinating thing is that TNG season 1 was AWFUL. Like absolutely wretchedly bad, you have the second or third episode where they visit "planet of the black people", Tasha Yar is an annoying cunt, Worf acts and looks like a retard, all Troi can talk about is "I sense something...", and Wesley Crusher is a walking zit. Season 2 starts improving a little bit but the show doesn't get its groove until halfway thru that even.

Nowadays a show like that would have gotten cancelled almost certainly halfway thru season 1, kinda sad to think about shows that had the right idea and core but didn't get the chance to fix their issues. You gotta get it right out of the gate or you are done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

DS9 had the same problem. 1st season was pretty meh and the show didn't really find its stride until the end of the 2nd season/start of the 3rd season, when they introduced the Dominion and leaned heavily into the start of the Dominion War.

Goatface

i was a teen when TNG came out, remember every geeky kid being super hyped for it. the comic shop was collecting articles and taping them to the wall for everyone to read. still remember the national enquirer was one of the first place to publish a pic of the enterprise and it was upside down. you didn't even need cable to watch.
as bad as it some of seems now, it was all great back then.
what else scifi was there to watch back then, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Doctor Who repeats? our pbs lost DW after the upped the price. hell they couldn't even afford to show the 5th doctor before that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Discovery wasn't. And wasn't the first half of Discovery exactly that, truly awful?

Its very uneven, the first few episodes are pretty good but then it takes a hard spin into shit town. I stopped at episode 11, i wanna go back at some point but its just really, really bad so far and people say season 2 isn't that much better.

Discovery had a huge advantage though, its pretty much the corner stone of CBS All Access. No matter how bad it was they will keep it going until CBS All Access has enough shows - I think there are still only like 4 shows total exclusively on it? Good Fight, Twilight Zone, and a few Star Trek shows (Discovery, Picard).

Come to think of it TNG may have been a similar thing, iirc either TNG or Voyager were the launch shows for one of the new Paramount Network TV cable channels, maybe whatever CW turned into or something I don't remember.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Its very uneven, the first few episodes are pretty good but then it takes a hard spin into shit town. I stopped at episode 11, i wanna go back at some point but its just really, really bad so far and people say season 2 isn't that much better.

Discovery had a huge advantage though, its pretty much the corner stone of CBS All Access. No matter how bad it was they will keep it going until CBS All Access has enough shows - I think there are still only like 4 shows total exclusively on it? Good Fight, Twilight Zone, and a few Star Trek shows (Discovery, Picard).

Come to think of it TNG may have been a similar thing, iirc either TNG or Voyager were the launch shows for one of the new Paramount Network TV cable channels, maybe whatever CW turned into or something I don't remember.
UPN?