Star Trek: Picard

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The nature of Data was an overarching plotline for Next Generation which was then extended into both the 'augments' and hologram stories in subsequent shows.

The whole issue with eugenics / genetic alteration is a huge historical demon for Starfleet owing to WW3 on Earth and the various issues with Khan as well as the subsequent problems covered in DS9 and Enterprise. By the end of DS9 everyone seemed to be okay with Bashir existing but it was on a level of tolerance more than outright support.

Holograms and their capability for sentience was an issue on TNG with Moriarity coming out of the holodeck and then that torch was picked up with the Doctor in Voyager. I wonder if the issues with synthetics in Picard extends to holograms as 'synthetic' life or if their nature as being dependent on holodecks and mobile emitters etc. makes them less of a threat. Presumably the Doctor's mobile emitter is classified tech since it came from the future and most holograms are still limited in terms of where they can go. You could, however, imagine entire warships constructed and crewed by holograms.

The fact that this seems to be tying some of these threads together along with the Romulan and Borg plotlines is very encouraging. Its picking up the baton for the broad issue-based elements of the TNG-verse and moving forward.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The nature of Data was an overarching plotline for Next Generation which was then extended into both the 'augments' and hologram stories in subsequent shows.

The whole issue with eugenics / genetic alteration is a huge historical demon for Starfleet owing to WW3 on Earth and the various issues with Khan as well as the subsequent problems covered in DS9 and Enterprise. By the end of DS9 everyone seemed to be okay with Bashir existing but it was on a level of tolerance more than outright support.

Holograms and their capability for sentience was an issue on TNG with Moriarity coming out of the holodeck and then that torch was picked up with the Doctor in Voyager. I wonder if the issues with synthetics in Picard extends to holograms as 'synthetic' life or if their nature as being dependent on holodecks and mobile emitters etc. makes them less of a threat. Presumably the Doctor's mobile emitter is classified tech since it came from the future and most holograms are still limited in terms of where they can go. You could, however, imagine entire warships constructed and crewed by holograms.

The fact that this seems to be tying some of these threads together along with the Romulan and Borg plotlines is very encouraging. Its picking up the baton for the broad issue-based elements of the TNG-verse and moving forward.

I got the impression holograms wernt included with the synthetics by the hologram helper in the archives.

Caliane

trek has always been pretty bad about actually discussing, or integrating most of the real ground changing technologies. Like, the replicators, and teleportation. They just exist, and inexplicably don't have the massive civilization changing effects they would in reality. Same with digital life, A.I. warships, cyborgs, as noted. and of course fucking time travel.

Tech level in star trek is very high. it makes little sense there are not drone ships out exploring the Galaxy. or fighting wars.
Everyone should be cyborgs, given how simple Jordies devices were. Plug into the ship when flying it, etc.

the actual economics of the Federation and humanity is never really explored. What effect replicators would have on that..

Its essentially a serial, where they focus on singular topics. so, yeah, anything that would radically alter the base civilization, is just kindof glossed over.
I mean, just imagine what the existence of a Q creature would have on humans socially. "oh this god like being exists, and can fundamental alter reality at will. no big whoop."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
trek has always been pretty bad about actually discussing, or integrating most of the real ground changing technologies. Like, the replicators, and teleportation. They just exist, and inexplicably don't have the massive civilization changing effects they would in reality. Same with digital life, A.I. warships, cyborgs, as noted. and of course fucking time travel.

Tech level in star trek is very high. it makes little sense there are not drone ships out exploring the Galaxy. or fighting wars.
Everyone should be cyborgs, given how simple Jordies devices were. Plug into the ship when flying it, etc.

the actual economics of the Federation and humanity is never really explored. What effect replicators would have on that..

Its essentially a serial, where they focus on singular topics. so, yeah, anything that would radically alter the base civilization, is just kindof glossed over.
I mean, just imagine what the existence of a Q creature would have on humans socially. "oh this god like being exists, and can fundamental alter reality at will. no big whoop."
The 1990s perception of what a Gerodie visor can do (give sight, maybe infrared/ultraviolet too) and a 2020s perception (Google Glass with 100s of years of software upgrades) is very different.

You can apply that to lots of Star Trek tech.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's never been about the tech.

Transporters exist because tos spent all their effects money on the model enterprise and didn't want to waste time on shuttle to the planet scenes.

Replicators exist because tng included families and they needed to explain how people didn't starve without frequent resupply stops at agricultural starbases.

Tech serves plot in star trek, not the other way around. It's still sci fi.

I mean... The borg. I like the borg, but they make absolutely no sense.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's never really been about the tech, at least not the details of the tech. The tech just represents shortcuts, or on some cases just an idea to meditate on like AI or the holodeck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

my point is they only ever meditate on those ideas in very limited circumstances. They never do so on larger social, or civilization scales. The show is not very progressive in that regards. it doesn't ever pontificate how society would change based on any of these technologies, or interactions with alien species and cultures.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Seems aight so far. The fucking intro though is super gay-- the whole thing being a giant Picard mosaic is kind of obnoxious. Haven't detected any obvious SJW nonsense so far, though Picard being the refugee advocate and having what seems to be a few Romulan domestic staff is pretty lulz.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm betting on a Romulan project using Borg tech that infected the synthetics. Likely was an unintended activation when the programming determined Federation sending a fleet to Romulan space was an invasion rather than a rescue.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
my point is they only ever meditate on those ideas in very limited circumstances. They never do so on larger social, or civilization scales. The show is not very progressive in that regards. it doesn't ever pontificate how society would change based on any of these technologies, or interactions with alien species and cultures.
That would be a totally different show, though. You'd have to show that happening rather than showing society hundreds of years after those things happened. The change already happened.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Hope all of you in the US aren't paying for the bullshit streaming service.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed the first episode , The refugee thing was a bit on the nose but tolerable. I even get the supper kickass battle synth but that whole story line was a bit weird.
Data was cloned? Wtf?
Data drew her picture somehow predicting what she would look like? Seems a bit far fetched.
All the explosions and weird shit is happening yet no one is calling the police or whatever is equivalent.
After showing she can move fast and jump distances she just stares at that blaster rifle until it blows up in her face like a moron without even trying to run away...
I hope they dont fuck this up in the next episode because the little preview they showed looked like it was swerving into cringe central.

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
TNG had progressive issue based episodes ahead of the curve (Riker falling for the gendered woman on the genderless planet...

When it was still in production I went to Dragon Con and sat in on a few of the stars talks. Frakes said he absolutely hated that episode. He didn't care for it one bit.

• 1Like

Malakriss

I enjoyed the first episode , The refugee thing was a bit on the nose but tolerable. I even get the supper kickass battle synth but that whole story line was a bit weird.
Data was cloned? Wtf?
Data drew her picture somehow predicting what she would look like? Seems a bit far fetched.
All the explosions and weird shit is happening yet no one is calling the police or whatever is equivalent.
After showing she can move fast and jump distances she just stares at that blaster rifle until it blows up in her face like a moron without even trying to run away...
I hope they dont fuck this up in the next episode because the little preview they showed looked like it was swerving into cringe central.
In response to your questions/notes
The exposition went out of its way to clarify that Daystrom Institute has the portion of Data's neural net he copied into B-4 from Nemesis.
Maddow is an existing character from TNG, referenced from years 2365-2367 and the painting is from 2369. The implication is Maddow had seen it and chose decades later to create her in the painting's image after using the remaining partial copy of Data to create sentient synths.
The Romulan bit an acid capsule, then spit it on her and the weapon. She tosses it to the ground and her face + clothes are melting, screams, and the acid also causes the weapon to explode.
"The police didn't mention it, they said you were alone when they found you on the roof. They said there was no one else on the security feed but you" - this is literally detailing how both Dahj and the Romulans have cloaking tech, likely the exact same cloaking tech. The Romulans did some cleanup + you obviously can't trust the space police who are either in on it or saw crazy old man Jean Luc having an episode and sent him back to France.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Hope all of you in the US aren't paying for the bullshit streaming service.
Imagine what the show would do on TV instead of a retarded service in the US

Izo

Tranny Chaser
IMG_4048.JPG

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Imagine the US execs thinking sci-fi fans are piracy adverse and will sign up to the latest piece of shit service.

• 1Worf