Star Trek: Picard

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yep, and even before the introduction of the mobile emitter itself Voyager had been installing holo emitters in different parts of the ship so The Doctor could get around. With another couple decades to advance the tech and the mobile emitter to examine the use of actual physical androids as labor may not even be necessary.

Yep. Hell, Voyager was using Hologram armor and shit. Not to mention before the doctor even came back, Star Fleet was already making ships with "emergency" hologram crews. (Both characters in this are Hologram crew)

Hologram tech should be everywhere and completely superior to synth tech.

Which, even on Voyager and Star Trek--that leads to another problem. The whole reason Data couldn't be copied is because it was super-complex to create actual intelligence. Yet somehow the Enterprise and Voyager's computer cores could shit on sentient AIs by mistake all the time. So really the only restriction was the emitter, which Voyager solved into the ground. I mean, again, literally the new Anti-Borg battleships had hologram emergency crews already.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Would still have to figure they didn't have the resources to put hologram tech everywhere, although if they could reverse engineer the mobile emitter, you'd think it would be most places.

Malakriss

How strong is a hologram? Can they punch through walls and lift every bulkhead that seems to inexplicably trap only a crewman's leg? That might be where they draw the line and say the trek-science requires a physical synth to accomplish superhuman workforce feats.

In First Contact when they activated the EMH to distract the Borg he didn't put a holographic fist through their chest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In First Contact when they activated the EMH to distract the Borg he didn't put a holographic fist through their chest.

Yeah but in the same movie when Picard 'disengages the safeties' in the holosuite he can kill drones with a holographic thompson.

Siliconemelons

I always wondered why worf didn't batlef drones and trek dudes ninja sword them... their shields always seemed to just adjust to beam weapons.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I always wondered why worf didn't batlef drones and trek dudes ninja sword them... their shields always seemed to just adjust to beam weapons.
They didnt because the writers were not morons like in another show i wont name and understood that swording people in a universe with abundant lasers and phasers and disruptors were a stupid thing. Shit, even Indiana Jones understood that a ranged weapon beats a gigantic saber any day!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Worf does fuck up a drone with a mek'leth in First Contact once their phasers became useless, but keep in mind that drones are only dangerous up close.

Malakriss

The pacing of things is too reversed, the scenes they should slow down and leave an impact happen too fast and yet we spent the first half of the season slowly trodding.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I thought for most of the season I was watching Battlestar Galactica, but it turns out its actually Mass Effect

Merrith

Wonder if the Q ever tested this super advanced synth lifeform like they did humans with Picard. They obviously sound super advanced existing beyond time and across galaxies but still have to fall short of literal gods that Q basically are.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I was only disappointed by the way the synthetics acted like humans. Otherwise... Entertaining ep. I thought Picard was going to die at least twice. Finale looks like it'll be fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

I was only disappointed by the way the synthetics acted like humans. Otherwise... Entertaining ep. I thought Picard was going to die at least twice. Finale looks like it'll be fun.
Correct me if i am wrong, but weren't all of them created by Maddox using Data's programming? Soji is a later version but all of them would be affected by the desire to be more human.

Cybsled

Unless Maddox used Lore. Lore was sent to the Daystrum Institute after Data deactivated him. The show has already used B4 and hell, they even brought back Hugh (who had interactions with Lore). “Soong” in the show is bitter about Dr Soong having Data as his favorite and seems anti-organic (another Lore trait). Plus as far as we know, Dr Soong never had kids.

Why he looks like an older man, who knows, but perhaps it was an early bio-synth attempt using Lore’s consciousness and an attempt to upgrade the body, but Lore would want something superior (Hence the Gollum as he calls it). It also explains the evil or unstable synths...makes perfect sense if you used Lore vs Data as a template. I bet it turns out most of the synths are Lore based, but a smaller subset are Data in origin and thus “good”.

Picard getting transferred to the body is being telegraphed, but I hope the Lore reveal comes soon. Unless the writers are total shit lol