Star Trek: Picard

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd put more money on the Romulan ex-boyfriend ending up in the body. Also, still very human-like that the synth who is "evil" had her sister killed by Rios' captain.

She also is the one that got memories from Agnes, so she'd know that Commander Oh is the one responsible for the murder and the fleet on the way. Leave the mind melds to Vulcans, she messed herself up.

Siliconemelons

Soong knew of the "urgent" need to get himself into a robobody before he knew of the vision... I think...if so, there is something fishy there... I like the idea he is Lore. He prolly got a boner when he got a free borg cube also out of this deal, the good ol days.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yep. Hell, Voyager was using Hologram armor and shit. Not to mention before the doctor even came back, Star Fleet was already making ships with "emergency" hologram crews. (Both characters in this are Hologram crew)
Hologram tech should be everywhere and completely superior to synth tech.
Which, even on Voyager and Star Trek--that leads to another problem. The whole reason Data couldn't be copied is because it was super-complex to create actual intelligence. Yet somehow the Enterprise and Voyager's computer cores could shit on sentient AIs by mistake all the time. So really the only restriction was the emitter, which Voyager solved into the ground. I mean, again, literally the new Anti-Borg battleships had hologram emergency crews already.
The holographic armor and weapons were used as a deception by the ECH (Emergency Command Hologram), nothing that would actually do anything against real weapons and armor. Also, the mobile emitter was unique to the Doctor as it was tech from the 29th century that they couldn't reverse engineer or replicate. All other holograms required stationary emitters -- which are obviously all over the goddamn place now.
How strong is a hologram? Can they punch through walls and lift every bulkhead that seems to inexplicably trap only a crewman's leg? That might be where they draw the line and say the trek-science requires a physical synth to accomplish superhuman workforce feats.
In First Contact when they activated the EMH to distract the Borg he didn't put a holographic fist through their chest.
The Doctor wasn't trained for combat. In the Beowulf story ("Heroes and Demons"), he never engages in combat, preferring to let attacks flow through him. But otherwise a hologram should in effect be as strong as its emitter, which can be compared to the ship's force fields or shields.
Worf does fuck up a drone with a mek'leth in First Contact once their phasers became useless, but keep in mind that drones are only dangerous up close.
Except the "military drones" that actually shot insta-gib weapons, ala Descent where they basically just murdered everyone.

I just needed to clarify some Voyager lore as I've watched the ever-living tits out of that series.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
This last episode was aggressively stupid. Robot mind melds, Mass Effect stolen plot, DONT FEAR THE REAPERS!

Fuck off Chabon and Kurtzman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

tarb

Trakanon Raider
If not for the few seconds of joy of the cameos and him saying "Engage" once, this show would be worse than STD.

Siliconemelons

Yeah you can now do mind melds by...studying vulcan stuff.

At first when Dir Cho or whatever her name is did it, I was like "darngs she must be vulcan not romulan then"- but then they said she was half/half so that explained that...but now...robots can do it?

Siliconemelons

Also...why is there a version 1 and version 2 of the "main" chick... and ... what exactly was her mission? that she completed? what...hu? this is stupid

Cybsled

I'm sure the reveal will be "good" main chick has Data origins and "evil" chick that looks like main chick will end up being Lore origins.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This last episode was aggressively stupid. Robot mind melds, Mass Effect stolen plot, DONT FEAR THE REAPERS!

Fuck off Chabon and Kurtzman.
Let's be honest, mind melds to begin with are pretty ridiculous. But this apparently also opens up the pandoras box about whether an android has a katra/soul, because that was a huge part of being able to mind meld. Spock transferred his into McCoy, Sarek cast part of his into Picard.

This show is going to become a precursor to Altered Carbon, with the whole "mind transfer" aspect, and it no longer becomes about synth vs life, but rather "real death". Also, Noonian Soong, his wife, was she a mental transfer, or were her memories simply facsimiles? I need to go back and watch that episode.

Episode 9... The whole "we're going to be illogical because th show dictates it" is getting obnoxious. They don't have a good argument for being universally malaise after Picard and crew's good deeds. It's like the Romulans Only scene. It's egregious and silly.

And simply stabbing an android in the eye is going to disable, let alone kill one? Get right the fuck out. Data got smacked in the head with a giant mining pick, and it wasn't until he was impaled that he shut off, but was easily repaired. Are they weaker/more biological now? What. Why.

Also, Spot 2.0. I just watched the episode where Spot produced offspring (the one where everyone de-evolves), and none of her kittens were orange (which was also strange). 7th season, so 20 years isn't unfathomable for a cat, but definitely stretching it just for the fuckin member berries. Wait, he made an Android cat?

Soong had a son? I mean, I guess. But with there being Data, Lore, B4, why isn't there another Data-form wandering around? Why did it feel like there were only a handful of androids, when, once they're programmed to grow/replicate themselves I feel like for efficiency sake they would have made 8474729358104958 of themselves.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And simply stabbing an android in the eye is going to disable, let alone kill one? Get right the fuck out.

That, and on top of that, I don't have a fancy youtube link for that but here's the Memory Alpha Quote for Shades of Gray, the episode where Riker gets sick

"Let's try something. Maybe it likes Humans more than androids."
"If you are correct, you are placing yourself in grave danger."
"Well, I'm counting on those great android…"

(A vine suddenly lashes out, but Data catches it.)
"…reflexes of yours."

- La Forge and Data

Yes, you're gonna stab an android with something they are wearing and they won't react in time. Sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The super AI's plan was to leave a message for future AI that relies upon physically touching the artifact or AI eventually developing telepathy and coming into contact with a life form they can read the minds of and had received said message.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That, and on top of that, I don't have a fancy youtube link for that but here's the Memory Alpha Quote for Shades of Gray, the episode where Riker gets sick

"Let's try something. Maybe it likes Humans more than androids."
"If you are correct, you are placing yourself in grave danger."
"Well, I'm counting on those great android…"

(A vine suddenly lashes out, but Data catches it.)
"…reflexes of yours."

- La Forge and Data

Yes, you're gonna stab an android with something they are wearing and they won't react in time. Sure.

They could use the throwaway explanation that Data was expecting the vine to potentially move, at least.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And the dumbdroid didn't expect the synth-hating Romulan assassin to move why?

the very idea is stupid on all levels. From the start of being able to overpower an android to the finishing line of the eye somehow being as fatal a weakspot as it is for humanoids.