Star Trek: Picard

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Let's be real. The true measure of a show is how many memes come from it. Picard has 0, therefore terrible

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Let's be real. The true measure of a show is how many memes come from it. Picard has 0, therefore terrible

I know what its like to lose. To feel you're right but fail nonetheless. It turns the legs to jelly.

4e1azj8pj2p41.jpg

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Finally watched all of this (I'm fucking bored)

I'm drinking, so I'll keep it simple.

What the fuck.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
None whatsoever. Not Joking.

Basically, if Picard had proceeded to do a whole lot of fuck all and stayed on his vineyard just getting drunk on wine and talking to Romulan Leprechaun-accent lady the bad guys would have found and wiped out a handful of sims, Hugh would still be alive, Data would be out there somewhere, thousands of XB would still be alive, and the doctor wouldn't have been torture-killed by his old gf.

And more importantly we'd have been saved ten episodes of blah.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Plus, no one tackles why biological life is so robust. Self replicating, low power usage lifeforms aren't exactly push overs compared to synthetic life as we now understand things. I get Sci-Fi Fantasy adds in a bunch of essentially magical elements--but I'd kill for someone to explore different views on the "inevitable AI war where the machines will be superior in all ways".

Sci fi does get this in some ways. Biological ships are a staple in many universes. But the only show that really came close to ever going deep on the idea that biological technology was not inferior but actually the ultimate form of technology was Babylon 5 (The Vorlons/Shadows ect all used bio ships). The borg are kind of the same concept, where they acknowledge biological life has significant advantages.

Would have loved to see a story where the AI was legitimately afraid because it had lost every major war against the biologicals because biological life's endless ability to replicate, adapt and function at such low power usage. It could be a great metaphor for things like Vietnam and Afghanistan where despite overwhelming technology, the sheer efficiency of a man with a rifle or bombs, when used to disrupt complex, expensive, systems ends up being too significant a cost to combat. The story could explain that true AI brains cost huge amounts of resources just to build an AI capable of running a starship, meanwhile the average biological world can birth enough brain power to run a 10,000 starships a generation; and even if the AI starship is 100 times better, its simply a war of attrition.

Just something god damn different.
Strictly speaking, the matrix had a (very poor) take on this. If you go with the idea of machines needing humans to perpetuate creative thought rather than being biological batteries, it would make more sense. The Second Renaissance from the Animatrix cartoon sort of leans in this direction. There is also the terrible game Detroit: Being Human that has tackled things from the AI being the inferior angle. This sort of storyline has been tackled in a few of the classic Dr Who storylines (Movellan vs Dalek war in particular), as well. You could also lump the Kubrick movie AI into that sort of framework. Finally, in all versions of Terminator the machines ultimately loose to humanity. I think the underated movie Extinction on netflix came the closest to having a viable flip without being over the top with its allegory, at least in my recent memory.

It has been sort of done in various ways, but it really boils down to human nature. People do not want to generally watch a scifi show where humans are the bad guys/oppressors unless it is some weird M Knight Shamalamadingdong deconstruction of the typical story. I agree it does make for a good story telling mechanism, but you cannot be hamfisted with allegories (Detroit: Being Human and AI to some extent), particularly slavery. The story also needs to be somewhat grounded to be relatable to human audiences to get greenlit most of the time. It can obviously be done (Planet of the Apes remakes), but its not easy. And Hollywood tends to be very lazy, hence rehashing everything.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Strictly speaking, the matrix had a (very poor) take on this. If you go with the idea of machines needing humans to perpetuate creative thought rather than being biological batteries, it would make more sense. The Second Renaissance from the Animatrix cartoon sort of leans in this direction. There is also the terrible game Detroit: Being Human that has tackled things from the AI being the inferior angle. This sort of storyline has been tackled in a few of the classic Dr Who storylines (Movellan vs Dalek war in particular), as well. You could also lump the Kubrick movie AI into that sort of framework. Finally, in all versions of Terminator the machines ultimately loose to humanity. I think the underated movie Extinction on netflix came the closest to having a viable flip without being over the top with its allegory, at least in my recent memory.

It has been sort of done in various ways, but it really boils down to human nature. People do not want to generally watch a scifi show where humans are the bad guys/oppressors unless it is some weird M Knight Shamalamadingdong deconstruction of the typical story. I agree it does make for a good story telling mechanism, but you cannot be hamfisted with allegories (Detroit: Being Human and AI to some extent), particularly slavery. The story also needs to be somewhat grounded to be relatable to human audiences to get greenlit most of the time. It can obviously be done (Planet of the Apes remakes), but its not easy. And Hollywood tends to be very lazy, hence rehashing everything.

Oh, no I wasn't talking about the human batteries stuff--that was laughably bad.

I was actually talking about, as you mentioned, the Animatrix short where they give a quick overview of the war. The humans blacking out the sun actually worked and the AI realized that robotic bodies require far more power than humans do--so the humans could be effective with lower solar outpout, while the AI could not. But the AI did a total change of their robots to make them into those squid shapes that supposedly decreased their power usage and then they hand waved the tactic as "fusion" (And that's where it falls apart, and delves into human battery stupidity. When actually, as said, humans as memory or processors make more sense, since our brains are actually super efficient processors.)

It would have been cool if the writers weren't hacks and really explored that aspect of Robotics...as its the main reason we don't use mainly robotics weapons platforms today. A human with a gun is actually an incredible weapons platform, self heals, self replicates, can think autonomously, and operates even under terrible conditions with minimal calories and water. Humanity has a lot of advantages that AI shows never go into (But ironically from a metaphorically perspective these advantages are the crux of our issues in most of the world--because a lot of Guerilla cells thrive off how efficient humans are).

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Not as big as it looks in Voyager. She has special padding. There are all kinds of articles about it. I mean, the actress has a fine rack, but Voyager made it bigger for ratings.

That first suit she was in cut off circulation it was so "form fitting."

The brown/burgundy catsuit they have her in for most of the episodes is fine though.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh, no I wasn't talking about the human batteries stuff--that was laughably bad.

I was actually talking about, as you mentioned, the Animatrix short where they give a quick overview of the war. The humans blacking out the sun actually worked and the AI realized that robotic bodies require far more power than humans do--so the humans could be effective with lower solar outpout, while the AI could not. But the AI did a total change of their robots to make them into those squid shapes that supposedly decreased their power usage and then they hand waved the tactic as "fusion" (And that's where it falls apart, and delves into human battery stupidity. When actually, as said, humans as memory or processors make more sense, since our brains are actually super efficient processors.)

It would have been cool if the writers weren't hacks and really explored that aspect of Robotics...as its the main reason we don't use mainly robotics weapons platforms today. A human with a gun is actually an incredible weapons platform, self heals, self replicates, can think autonomously, and operates even under terrible conditions with minimal calories and water. Humanity has a lot of advantages that AI shows never go into (But ironically from a metaphorically perspective these advantages are the crux of our issues in most of the world--because a lot of Guerilla cells thrive off how efficient humans are).
You are actually describing Bladerunner 2049 rather well.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Sterilization pattern number 5.

LOL, my god the writers are retards.
That writers room should be sterilized. For a few minutes i thought that was a bad fan film or a bad dub for a second. Acting was straight out of the scary movie.

• 3Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
lol, I mean, holy fuck. Those writers must think they're shitting out gold.

"Yah, fuckit, they won't know any difference... I did have at 9, but I decided that was too damn high. Then I had it at 3, decided that was too damn low."

Srsly?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Her relationship with Chakotay was so traumatic that she noped out of relationships with men lol
Can Borg nanites infect you if you go in raw? Always wondered, whilst jerking off furiously to seven of nine.

• 3Worf