Star Trek: Picard

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Stewart is an executive producer with creative input. He wanted this.
Yup. This was probably all his idea since they had to beg him to do the show. Artistic murder suicide. Not enough that's he's fading away. He took Picard down with him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Actors want roles that allow them to stretch themselves. He played regular ol' captain Picard for close to 2 decades. The idea of some type of deconstruction would have been appealing.

At the end of the day, how well that is done lies squarely with the writers, though. There are ways they could have more or less told the same story, but not have had it been as offputting.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i was talking to a friend of mine about the show and that article on startrek.com... he didn't particularly like the show but he said he understood the story and related to it a bit. he just retired a year or so ago, his kids have moved out and are conquering the world while he's sitting at home. he said that while this is the natural order and it's how things should be, there's also a piece of it where you get older and you used to be relevant. you used to matter but not so much anymore and the dysfunctional part of you wants to go out and fight battles that aren't yours and that you have no business being apart of.

i wouldn't be surprised if that's the kind of story that stewart was interested in, and there's an interesting story in there somewhere but it should also be handled with care, which Picard wasn't. it didn't feel like picard searching for a way to stay relevant, at least from his perspective. i think the show would have worked A LOT better if it was a new character. a hero of the federation should NOT be made to feel like a nobody. for whatever reason the gods of bad writing just can't let this poor guy retire and live happily on his family vineyard. like, the dude has done enough. picard would absolutely feel like he doesn't need to answer to anyone and would absolutely just go live out his days farming and be happy. he would probably write some books on diplomacy and archaeology, he'd probably be a top notch guest speaker and some symposiums, he'd have an honorary diplomat's immunity to go and do whatever he wanted.

this whole plot would have been PERFECT for Thomas Riker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Patrick Stewart is a prime example of how the actor behind a much-loved character can be an utter piece of shit.

I wouldn't class myself as a James Corden fan but I can never get over how poorly Stewart came across in this old clip.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Patrick Stewart is a prime example of how the actor behind a much-loved character can be an utter piece of shit.

I wouldn't class myself as a James Corden fan but I can never get over how poorly Stewart came across in this old clip.

I'll give him a pass on that. Corden should have been beaten to death with a tire iron decades ago.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't hate corden like a lot of people here do...

but i also think it says a lot that stewart got ripped to shreds. he picked on corden and lost. we can give stewart a pass for being bitchy to someone because he was being bitchy to james corden... but can we give him a pass for corden coming out on top?

• 2Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah that is probably Stewarts first run in with the Cult. Him and MacFarland are buddies and both had the same problem of making successful material that was counter to the cult for the most part. MacFarland learned to play along to get what he wanted, but Stewart swallowed the blue pill. Probably because of his man crush for his gay pal Ian McKellen. Blunt was the perfect example of him (and MacFarland) going off the rails because of the whole SJW thing. Blunt could have been a great show about a shitlord trying to survive in the era of PC, but it just turned into one giant SJW/Hollywierd stroke off session by the end of it. Anyone who sat through the second season of that show should have known how this was going to turn out.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i don't hate corden like a lot of people here do...

but i also think it says a lot that stewart got ripped to shreds. he picked on corden and lost. we can give stewart a pass for being bitchy to someone because he was being bitchy to james corden... but can we give him a pass for corden coming out on top?
Yeah Corden is the personification of the predatory "male feminist ally" unfunny UK fat faggot. I remember thinking at the time that a part of the culture war had been lost, but could not put my finger on why. Now we all know, I guess. That might be the exact moment Stewart handed in his balls.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Give to MacFarlane Give it to MacFarlane

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm rewatching DS9 atm. Season 3 episode 11/12 where Sisko Bashir and Dax get teleported back to 2024. It's funny how it's really not that far off from what's happening in the world today.

Meanwhile Picard is so hilariously far off. Hollywood writers have really lost it

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah im on the final few episodes and season of my DS9 rewatch and its been absolutely glorious, seasons 1-6 hold up EXTREMELY well. I always thought it was one of those Trek shows that had a terrible season 1 but its actually really great, and even the mediocre episodes are still really good compared to the shit we have today like Westworld, Picard, Game of Thrones, etc.

It really wasn't until season 6 that a few crap episodes start creeping in (Molly planet, some of the Vic Fontaine stuff, most of the Ezri Dax episodes), pretty amazing the show had such a great run. Its fascinating to think about what the show coulda been if the actress playing Jadzia has stayed on for another season or two and if they got an extra season or a movie or two instead of ending sorta abruptly.

Quark and Odo really rank high up there in scifi anti-buddies along with Mollari and G'Kar from Babylon 5. Just finished downloading the entire series of that too so I can tee it up for a rewatch later. Beats watching whatever tranny horror show modern writers are putting out.

if you don't have media storage arrays get your rewatches in soon, the star trek shows move off netflix and amazon relatively soon i think and i'm sure other stuff is moving off to HBO Max

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Cybsled

Ya, it really is too bad Terry Ferrel didn't stay for the last season. Losing her also hurt Worf's development. Was always kind of shitty that Worf basically destroys any prospect of becoming a captain after choosing to save his wife vs. extracting the Cardassian contact, then a couple episodes later she gets murdered anyways.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still don't know why they didn't kill Dax off on the planet she gets shot on. I think it's the same season?