Star Trek: Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
yeah im on the final few episodes and season of my DS9 rewatch and its been absolutely glorious, seasons 1-6 hold up EXTREMELY well. I always thought it was one of those Trek shows that had a terrible season 1 but its actually really great, and even the mediocre episodes are still really good compared to the shit we have today like Westworld, Picard, Game of Thrones, etc.

It really wasn't until season 6 that a few crap episodes start creeping in (Molly planet, some of the Vic Fontaine stuff, most of the Ezri Dax episodes), pretty amazing the show had such a great run. Its fascinating to think about what the show coulda been if the actress playing Jadzia has stayed on for another season or two and if they got an extra season or a movie or two instead of ending sorta abruptly.

Quark and Odo really rank high up there in scifi anti-buddies along with Mollari and G'Kar from Babylon 5. Just finished downloading the entire series of that too so I can tee it up for a rewatch later. Beats watching whatever tranny horror show modern writers are putting out.

if you don't have media storage arrays get your rewatches in soon, the star trek shows move off netflix and amazon relatively soon i think and i'm sure other stuff is moving off to HBO Max

There were executives in place to prevent Star Trek from going woke at the time.

In the early to mid 1990's Star Trek was being run by a notorious homophobe.

That seems to be the difference between then and now, with regard to the IP. The homophobic producer was adamant about any LGBT or woke bullshit not being portrayed or even teased in the show.

DS9 writers detailed a few instances where writers were told to chill out with even tiny little allusions. They had someone actively monitoring the product and stamping out any current day bullshit.

Cybsled

The only thing I can come up with Ira Steven Behr (the dyed beard guy) wanted Gul Dukat to kill the character so people stopped cheering for him.

Terry Ferrel left on her own accord. I think all the actors had to renegotiate for season 7 and the deal for her fell through, so they had to write her off in the s6 finale.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Terry Ferrel left on her own accord. I think all the actors had to renegotiate for season 7 and the deal for her fell through, so they had to write her off in the s6 finale.

On the extra features of that season's DVDs she says that she begged for Dax to die in that episode rather than the finale. Everyone already knew she was leaving including herself.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Jadzia's death gave us that baller episode where quark Julian and worf with miles must destroy that moon or whatever to get jadzia into stolvokor. Worth it for that alone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
There were executives in place to prevent Star Trek from going woke at the time.

In the early to mid 1990's Star Trek was being run by a notorious homophobe.

That seems to be the difference between then and now, with regard to the IP. The homophobic producer was adamant about any LGBT or woke bullshit not being portrayed or even teased in the show.

DS9 writers detailed a few instances where writers were told to chill out with even tiny little allusions. They had someone actively monitoring the product and stamping out any current day bullshit.

Jadzia lez'd out at least twice, and alternate-universe Major Kira was bi and had orgies with chicks and dudes so i don't know if i really buy that. Maybe lesbians don't count for that producer, I don't think there was any gay dude stuff in the show? I take that back, I think one or two of the Risa episodes may have had it.

There was some creepy pedo shit, like Garak creeping on Gul Dukat's daughter was disturbing. Gul Dukat and Kira was always creepy as fuck too considering about Kira's mom.

and yeah for all the love that In The Pale Moonlight gets, i don't think it holds up as well on rewatch. Sisko spends a LOT of that episode talking straight to camera (captains log) and he really is not a very good actor, lol. Absolutely fantastic Garak episode though.

on a more relevant topic, Star Trek Lower Decks releases its first episode in 1 month, August 6th. animated series, 10 episodes total, half hour comedy

cc101_pr_still_17.jpg

it looks... terrible

• 4Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There was some creepy pedo shit, like Garak creeping on Gul Dukat's daughter

I don't know how the fuck you get this vibe from Garak and Ziyal's relationship. Each one was the only other Cardassian company available and while Ziyal obviously developed serious feelings for him, Garak always maintained a platonic distance between the two. Also she's a hybrid of two alien races so who the hell knows how fast she matures? She's in her late teens/early twenties in chronological age.

I mean shit, Alexander is only 8 years old in Deep Space Nine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Two different actresses play Ziyal but I don't remember either looking underage.
Jadzia lez'd out at least twice, and alternate-universe Major Kira was bi and had orgies with chicks and dudes so i don't know if i really buy that.

That one has some damned fucked up subtext for Major Kira. Dealt a different hand you would have been exactly Gul Dukat.

Cybsled

You could never read much into the alternate universe personalities. The only person who seemed the same in both was O'Brian.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You could never read much into the alternate universe personalities. The only person who seemed the same in both was O'Brian.

It's just that the Intendant, her mirror, is exactly Lady Gul Dukat. The person she hates the most in the universe is her. That would fuck with your head.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

They had to turn dukat into a evil god because what he was saying near the end and showing how it's perspective is 100% true. Kira was a terrorist that murdered people. Etc etc

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I hated the alternative universe sub plot. Whenever I rewatch DS9 (which I do maybe once every year and a half or so) I fast forward them.

Edit: Does anyone else think Keiko O'Brien is a bitch?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, Keiko was kind of a bitch. And yeah, the mirror universes were just sort of one off "lets do something else" episodes. At least that's how I view them. It's fan service in the Evil Kirk vein.

What if it was ds9 except everyone was... EVIL? It's fine, it's kind of trek camp, the actors get to do something different, but they're not serious episodes even in the context of Star Trek not being a completely serious sort of production.

I look at them like I look at those episodes of Hercules the legendary journeys where they all were set in 1990 and they were playing the people producing the show. Just very meta, looking straight into the camera, admitting "we didn't really have a plan for this, but it's fun, so enjoy".

spronk

FPS noob
i always found it hilarious how easy they found it to transport between universes, just a little tiny gadget and BOOM. There were a LOT of alternate universe episodes including one with The Grand Nagus. it was also weird that they never tried to hand wave away why they keep jumping back and forth between only 2, i think even TNG said there were infinite verses (the worf episode, the one with infinite enterprises) but I guess that was part of the charm of earlier sci fi, they never tried to go into excruciating detail on why things were, they just were.

Star Trek Discovery also had a few alternate universe episodes, in that one the empire (humans) were dominant and ruled the universe and all other aliens were slaves. The DS9 ones had the Alliance (Klingons/Cardies) rule the universe and humans were basically slaves. Whole lotta slavery going on!