Star Trek: Picard

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
ToS
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
Voyager
That's it.
End of the list.
There's nothing more here.
1595804911363.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I may not agree on the list order but I do agree that in reality, Picard and Discovery have no place on the list as they aren’t even bad Star Trek— like not even holodeck Data Sherlock Holmes level of bad.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
Voyager
Picard
TOS
Discovery

I could never get into TOS, I tried so many times and just couldn't do it for some reason. That said, I'll watch it over Discovery any day.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Imho you have to be old enough and weaned on TOS. As a kid watching TOS reruns Sunday mornings with my dad was like a ritual. My guess is if I had watched them later in life I would have dismissed it based on the cheesy special effects and action.

• 2Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
TOS gets dragged down by too many episodes that were made due to budget constraints where they based the plot around sets/props/costumes from other productions. Episodes that focused on the spock/bones/kirk dynamic and the more high concept ones that were like early sci-fi literature though were truly great.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
TOS gets dragged down by too many episodes that were made due to budget constraints where they based the plot around sets/props/costumes from other productions. Episodes that focused on the spock/bones/kirk dynamic and the more high concept ones that were like early sci-fi literature though were truly great.

I agree with this

Cybsled

Right, it's like saying the first Doctor was the best in Doctor Who because he was first.

Enterprise being canceled was a damn shame. It started to really find its stride and get good in it's final season before getting the axe. It was clear they were building towards the first Romulan vs. Starfleet war.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One SDCC housekeeping item I didn't mention was Kurtzman said he believes Star Trek is a platform for social justice and political messaging.

I didn't mention it because its rather old hat and something we already know. But he did state that at the SDCC panel last week, in case anyone was still unconvinced agenda is more important than a good story to Kurtzman.

In other news CBS has gone on a copyright tear over SDCC for no apparent reason and copystruck several YouTubers for hosting Star Trek related content. Unknown reason or cause. Situation still developing and unfolding.

I think the previous leak from production that Kurtzman broke stuff in his office over YouTube critics having good information (Section 31 leaks regarding financial situation) seems credible in light of CBS going after copyright strikes on fair use material during this SDCC event. The timing coincided with SDCC for whatever reason. And the copystriking seemed targeted toward any YouTube reviewer or critic.

We'll see if this copystriking spree was just a one-off wave to scare people, or if it will be a persistent theme throughout the rest of 2020.

If it persists, it jives with Kurtzman shattering stuff in his office when he was informed YouTube critics have all the details on how he's floundering.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Right, it's like saying the first Doctor was the best in Doctor Who because he was first.

Enterprise being canceled was a damn shame. It started to really find its stride and get good in it's final season before getting the axe. It was clear they were building towards the first Romulan vs. Starfleet war.

1st doctor was the best doc because he felt real and he was the perfect counterpoint to Kirk. If you noticed, both McCoy and Spock offered personalities and perspectives that reined in Kirk's worst impulses-- which is what made the trio feel real and fallible. I would argue that The Doctor from Voyager was more of an entertaining character than McCoy when taken in isolation, but like most of the other Star Treks, they failed to recreate the chemistry and "friendly yet serious" bond amongst the main characters. Even after five seasons, I never felt there to be any lasting chemistry or emotional bond between say Picard and Riker. I wept like a child when Spock died in ST2 because it really felt like the two had been to hell and back over the years and were true friends, where I could barely muster a yawn when Data sacrificed himself for the others.

And I really liked the latter Enterprise storyline, and how well it backfilled lore. Enterprise had some great stories, but all the characters were pretty bland and forgettable, and T'pols ass couldn't carry the show alone.

iannis

Musty Nester
Tos is cheesy, but if you watch any television from the 60s it's cheesy. Half the episodes are forgettable, immediately. But there is a core of episodes that are not. They break through the cheese into good. And there are a handful of those that to into iconic.

When people talk about tos being the best, they're talking about that core. Not the rome/nazi/al Capone episodes. Every series had that filler.

First interracial kiss on television. White, black, green... Kirk just wanted action.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Dude the Nazi TOS episodes are great.

Oiled up Sulu trying to stab people, great.

Giant cigar in space, great!

Was reading an ad-post on facebook about the Pike show coming out- and the comment section, WHEW... was there ANYONE who liked Picard? even the hard core will suck MB's labiadong Discovery fans HHHHAAAATTTTEEEDDD Picard

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TOS has some actual science in their fiction. Not much, but much more than any other show at the time. That is why so many young people were inspired by TOS to become engineers and scientists.

2nd Gen also had a few intelligent shows where science came in to play but it was an afterthought. Still great television for the most part though. But every Star Trek after the original had less and less to do with science. The latest versions are just fucking explosions of color and feelings, science be damned.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trek has always been technobabble with loose science.

The later series have zero science, logic or reason. Only technobabble. Which many idiots believe is all that Trek is or was about. There was more intelligence in the early series but that was lost as the new writers fell into the same trap.

But that isn't just a problem with Trek. Hollywood as a whole has always been adverse to intelligence and science. And with the advent of CGI explosions, intelligent writers who know anything about science are a lost breed.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Disagree. Technobabble helps insulate a show from becoming dated. Like storage sizes, they just make up some bullshit term like isoflops or whatever to avoid having people laugh at them decades later.

Classic Trek was no more scientific than later Treks. Narrative came first and you technobabbled a way out of needing to explain how anything works. The Expanse(minus the proto molecule stuff) makes sure most of the narrative adheres to the rules. Trek follows the rules until a gizmo or “remodulating the isometric plasma flow into the shunt conduit to bypass the energy buffers” solves the problem.

DS9 has a bit of fun with it when the Vorta said Starfleet engineers were famous for turning sticks and rocks into replicator units