TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
FB_IMG_1595882849736.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Classic Trek was no more scientific than later Treks.

You didn't watch TOS, or apparently any other Trek, since you are so obviously wrong.

Technobabble evolved from a throw away quicky to the season long bs sessions they have become today. Ask any engineer or scientist that was inspired by the original Trek and they will tell you the same thing.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Imho you have to be old enough and weaned on TOS. As a kid watching TOS reruns Sunday mornings with my dad was like a ritual. My guess is if I had watched them later in life I would have dismissed it based on the cheesy special effects and action.

My beloved granny introduced me to my first Orion slave girl...

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

You didn't watch TOS, or apparently any other Trek, since you are so obviously wrong.

Technobabble evolved from a throw away quicky to the season long bs sessions they have become today. Ask any engineer or scientist that was inspired by the original Trek and they will tell you the same thing.

It’s been years since I watched TOS, but I recall very little science beyond basic shit like silicon based life or whatever. Which they had in later Treks also. You’re acting like TOS was The Expanse level science.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You’re acting like TOS was The Expanse level science.

Lol. That may be what you wanted to hear, but that was never what I said. In fact, quite the opposite. You obviously have issues with reading comprehension, so I'll stop here.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
TOS sucks

mostly all trek sucks

you really have to grow up w/ it and have memberberries to appreciate it
9699468f53f55af530e8bf7e8956d27d.gif

could i watch this garbage now? hell no, but 14yr old me remembers fondly

• 1I Came
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
I lost count the number of times I jerked off over 7 of 9 and some kind of Borg insemination fucked up fantasy. Thank you Jeri Ryan and your magnificent breasts.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
TOS sucks

mostly all trek sucks

fdcf4e2808bd210d304fbaae7d2aa4bb--collection-memes.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
TOS sucks

mostly all trek sucks

I rewatch each series every couple of years. My wife rewatches almost every year. She's indoctrinating our daughter. Watched Enterprise when she was in the womb, then again just recently (a little over two years old). Voyager when she was breastfeeding, and again about 6 months ago. She's watching TOS again currently.

After re-watching them all multiple, multiple times, I've grown to really appreciate Voyager the most. Picard (TNG) is still my most beloved character, mostly because as you say its what I grew up on, but also because I look a lot like him. Though meeting him in person made me realize he's got a huge fucking head. DS9 would be my favorite, but season 7 left a really bad, rotten flavor in my mouth. Voyager is just TNG with a little more attitude. I have zero fucking interest in watching Discovery again. I might watch Picard again, but it'll be a while, or at the earliest before Season 2 comes out.

None of the old series spend entire 15-minute segments bullshitting you on the sci-fi. It's, "Have you tried reversing the polarity?" That does or doesn't fix the problem and they move on. When it's an engineering issue, it's all about "getting it fixed and get back to me we're dealing with talking to these fucks before they blow us up".

TOS science was mostly rooted in real, actual science, so they didn't have to dissect or explain it. Or the shit was brand new, so they couldn't explain it. Transporter techno-gibberish creates two Kirk's. Well... let's talk about it philosophically. When Evil Kirk ripped up wiring to the transporter, it was a one-line throw away by Scotty in what he actually destroyed.

It's correct that the gibberish became more and more present as time went on. Enterprise has a lot more than any prior show. Discovery dips itself in a vat of gibberish. And prances around in it, "Look how cool my gibberish is!" Instead of sticking to a plot, concept, idea, story. In Discovery, the all-knowing planet, evil AI, and time travel suit concepts weren't new, and the way they told those stories sucked. It was about the McGuffins, not the impact those things would make on the universe, the ship, the crew - save Michael and fuck Michael, I hope she gets tossed out an airlock in season 3. They were told how most video game movies are presented.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Ezri was fine, but the whole season was about her. It's sort of what makes me hate Discovery and similarly Picard. That and the absurd Dukat storyline. And the last episode where basically the entire cast leaves the station for one reason or another for the sake of being somber was retarded. But obviously not as retarded as the last episode of Enterprise.

• 1Seriously?

Cybsled

Vic felt like a cash in on the popularity of Voyager’s Doctor to be sure. Show had the whole Kira Odo thing going all 7 seasons, so not like it came out of nowhere.

S7 has some amazing episodes, though. Like the Siege episode and the finale was great.

Siliconemelons

TOS always had a dash of /real science/ for the known time - and then a dash of made up technobabble that usually was "world building"

Example: tons of people learned that humans need salt from TOS lol etc.

"World building" technobabble in trek is fine as long as it keeps fairly consistent.

Voyager was fine on the gel packs and neuro circuitry as a new ship etc- was even fine when they got infected and caused issues...but was not fine when it was just a fix all break all

Fucker

Log Wizard
TOS always had a dash of /real science/ for the known time - and then a dash of made up technobabble that usually was "world building"

Example: tons of people learned that humans need salt from TOS lol etc.

"World building" technobabble in trek is fine as long as it keeps fairly consistent.

Voyager was fine on the gel packs and neuro circuitry as a new ship etc- was even fine when they got infected and caused issues...but was not fine when it was just a fix all break all

...I am pretty sure we knew salt was important LONG before Star Trek came along.

• 1Picard