Star Trek: Picard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
whataboutism

tenor.gif

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Sorry everyone. I didn't hate Picard. There's a lot of shitty TV out there, Picard wasn't as shitty as a lot of it. Was it best Trek? No. But I'd watch it again before a lot of shit that's on tv.

I not only didn't just not hate it, there was quite a lot of it I enjoyed.

Come at me.
Well, whataboutism is a subset of the fallacy Red Herring. You’re drawing attention to <a lot of shitty TV out there> which <Picard wasn’t as shitty as a lot it it>. That’s a false analogy and irrelevant to best Trek (TNG?) or even Trek. Trek ought to be compared to Trek, here on a nerd board. Or if need be Trek’esque shows like the orville or some other relevant space soap opera. At the very least something other than <a lot of shitty TV>. Comon, dirk, apply one or more of your degrees.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Honestly that's the only part of Picard that was good tbh. Her story made me sad for her character. She went through a lot with the rescued borg children.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, whataboutism is a subset of the fallacy Red Herring. You’re drawing attention to <a lot of shitty TV out there> which <Picard wasn’t as shitty as a lot it it>. That’s a false analogy and irrelevant to best Trek (TNG?) or even Trek. Trek ought to be compared to Trek, here on a nerd board. Or if need be Trek’esque shows like the orville or some other relevant space soap opera. At the very least something other than <a lot of shitty TV>. Comon, dirk, apply one or more of your degrees.
I don't think you necessarily have to compare them, except in cases where the same character is used etc. Each can stand on its own and be judged. And, apparently, found wanting. The problem with Picard isn't that it suffers compared to TNG in quality, it's just not even the same thing.

Goatface

The expansion of the Star Trek universe isn't slowing down any time soon. Since Alex Kurtzman and his colleagues at Secret Hideout took the helm of the Star Trek television universe, six new Star Trek series have emerged. It began with Star Trek: Discovery, continued with Star Trek: Picard, and progressed further with Star Trek: Lower Decks. Still to come are Star Trek: Discovery spinoffs Section 31 and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as well as kids animated series Star Trek: Prodigy with Kate Mulgrew returning as Capt. Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. But that's just the start. Kurtzman tells The Hollywood Reporter's TV's Top 5 podcast that there are loose plans in place to continue expanding the franchise through 2027.
That future includes several more seasons of Star Trek: Discovery beyond its third, which premieres on CBS All Access on Thursday. "I'm going to say, in all honesty, there are years and years left on Discovery," Kurtzman said. "I think that because Star Trek, in general, has had a long history of going something like seven seasons minimum, and we just jumped into the future… it's not that it's a brand new show, but it's a whole new set of variables with a whole new set of ideas and stories, and I don't think we limit ourselves to thinking, 'Oh, we're capped at this place.' I'll tell you when the show starts to feel stale to us, we will be rallying to stop it — but for now, it doesn't feel like we are running into a shortage of stories."

• 1Clown World

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk You just got cummed on.

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
He isn't going to respond, it's a classic flyby, just with a relatively minor bombastic and unsubstantiated opinion. If you want him to respond, you have to call into question his posting habits.

• 1Cringe

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

See, and I think you're reaching here. I'm saying that Star Trek, in general, is better than most television that is produced. I enjoy Star Trek more than most television that is produce. That's not a Red Herring. That's me making a comparison to similar things - they're both on tv, I like one more than the other.

Calm down, man.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I like my wife's lasagna more than a literal turd sandwich.

My wife's lasagna is good but she puts a large amount of spinach in it. Cooked spinach has a gross texture and it really hampers the overall dish.

See the difference? You said the first one.

Also, thanks for responding ;) You're still not substantiating your opinion, btw.

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I like my wife's lasagna more than a literal turd sandwich.

My wife's lasagna is good but she puts a large amount of spinach in it. Cooked spinach has a gross texture and it really hampers the overall dish.

See the difference? You said the first one.

Also, thanks for responding ;) You're still not substantiating your opinion, btw.

No. That's not fair. I like X tv show more than most other tv shows. They're all tv shows, all available to be viewed, I choose to watch X because I think it's the best offering.

A literal turd sandwich is not in the same category as lasagna. A tv show compared to another tv show is the same category.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're missing the point. A turd sandwich was chosen to accentuate the example. Perhaps that was a bad choice. A garbage plate instead then?

You're making a subjective comparison. Whether the objects being compared are in the same "category" or not is irrelevant. Saying you liked something doesn't make it good. Saying something is better than other things doesn't make it good.

That's why I said "whataboutism". Substantiate your claim. What was objectively done well in this show?

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Honestly that's the only part of Picard that was good tbh. Her story made me sad for her character. She went through a lot with the rescued borg children.

It's not bad in terms of storytelling or anything but I like my Star Trek to be optimistic. Now if you go back and watch Voyager you know that Seven is going to end up a world-weary cynic in her pursuit of her own humanity. Icheb is going to get vivisected for parts. Troy and Riker have a child that dies of a bizarre yet treatable illness. The Federation decides, for some reason, to create a series of slave androids. It goes terribly. The evacuation of Romulus goes terribly.

I really like Batman Beyond. It has a nickname - Bad End Beyond. As we move to the future things turned out pretty horrible for just about everyone we saw in Batman the Animated Series and to a lesser extend Superman and Justice League. It's a lot even in a comic/cartoon setting. I don't want that for Star Trek.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
All shows are subjective. There are people who love CBS sitcoms and to them, that is quality and they'd watch my weirdo shit and be appalled that someone even made this. There is no objective measure of quality, by definition.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
All shows are subjective. There are people who love CBS sitcoms and to them, that is quality and they'd watch my weirdo shit and be appalled that someone even made this. There is no objective measure of quality, by definition.
Does this top IOOTI?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You're missing the point. A turd sandwich was chosen to accentuate the example. Perhaps that was a bad choice. A garbage plate instead then?

You're making a subjective comparison. Whether the objects being compared are in the same "category" or not is irrelevant. Saying you liked something doesn't make it good. Saying something is better than other things doesn't make it good.

That's why I said "whataboutism". Substantiate your claim. What was objectively done well in this show?

I see what you're saying, however I think subjective evaluations are fair game for television shows. Some people like something for reasons beyond me, and I can't understand that. Me thinking it's crap doesn't make it crap. Different shows appeal differently do different people.

However, I believe the acting in Picard is generally better than the acting in most shows. I also believe they developed plot in more detailed and sophisticated ways that is done in any sitcom or even police show. One of the things I really like is the long-term plot lines - things that last through the whole season. That's absent in most every other type of show on tv right now. I like the long story. I also think the production quality is pretty damned high. These are the things I find to be better than most everything else on TV.

Now there are other shows I enjoy where these things become irrelevant. I don't know if you've ever watched "Call the Midwife." There are virtually no long term plot lines from episode to episode outside of marriages and the like. It's totally episodic in nature, but it has other things I like, such as a positive portrayal of Christians. There's also really good character development.

The shows are utterly unalike, but I enjoy them both.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There are people who love CBS sitcoms

If on "Joey" we learned that Monica and Chandler's children all died and got to watch Ross's monkey get vivisected it would not be unreasonable for the fanbase to fracture even if the show found an audience.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users