Star Trek: Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

The expansion of the Star Trek universe isn't slowing down any time soon. Since Alex Kurtzman and his colleagues at Secret Hideout took the helm of the Star Trek television universe, six new Star Trek series have emerged. It began with Star Trek: Discovery, continued with Star Trek: Picard, and progressed further with Star Trek: Lower Decks. Still to come are Star Trek: Discovery spinoffs Section 31 and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as well as kids animated series Star Trek: Prodigy with Kate Mulgrew returning as Capt. Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. But that's just the start. Kurtzman tells The Hollywood Reporter's TV's Top 5 podcast that there are loose plans in place to continue expanding the franchise through 2027.
That future includes several more seasons of Star Trek: Discovery beyond its third, which premieres on CBS All Access on Thursday. "I'm going to say, in all honesty, there are years and years left on Discovery," Kurtzman said. "I think that because Star Trek, in general, has had a long history of going something like seven seasons minimum, and we just jumped into the future… it's not that it's a brand new show, but it's a whole new set of variables with a whole new set of ideas and stories, and I don't think we limit ourselves to thinking, 'Oh, we're capped at this place.' I'll tell you when the show starts to feel stale to us, we will be rallying to stop it — but for now, it doesn't feel like we are running into a shortage of stories."

Could he get distribution for Discovery in the future? Absolutely I'd believe that.

Everything else is vapor though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I see what you're saying, however I think subjective evaluations are fair game for television shows. Some people like something for reasons beyond me, and I can't understand that. Me thinking it's crap doesn't make it crap. Different shows appeal differently do different people.

However, I believe the acting in Picard is generally better than the acting in most shows. I also believe they developed plot in more detailed and sophisticated ways that is done in any sitcom or even police show. One of the things I really like is the long-term plot lines - things that last through the whole season. That's absent in most every other type of show on tv right now. I like the long story. I also think the production quality is pretty damned high. These are the things I find to be better than most everything else on TV.

Now there are other shows I enjoy where these things become irrelevant. I don't know if you've ever watched "Call the Midwife." There are virtually no long term plot lines from episode to episode outside of marriages and the like. It's totally episodic in nature, but it has other things I like, such as a positive portrayal of Christians. There's also really good character development.

The shows are utterly unalike, but I enjoy them both.
I disagree. Beyond surface level, subjectivity doesn't have much usefulness because it can't be debated. You like what you like and some of that might be shit. They are often incidentally related, but for the purpose of debate, whether you liked something should not be relevant unless it's being specifically discussed.

The acting was fine, nothing really stood out one way or the other there. Long plots have kinda become standard for scifi, long before this show. BSG and DS9 helped usher that in. I'm not saying they had to do a seasonal arc, but they certainly don't get points for doing one. The plot itself was full of all kinds of holes though. If they had gone more episodic, they might not have had to string together a story that was clearly challenging the writers(quick tangent: name the last Abrams/Lindelof/Kurtzman production that didn't have plot holes).

Production quality was high. Copy pasting the fleets for the final battle...idk. With CGI costs continually declining, I'm wondering if the measure for production quality in a scifi show should inversely rise.

chaos chaos The second and third paragraphs, mine and dirk's, above are good examples of objective measures for this medium. We both know you know this, so I'm not sure the point of your ridiculous tangent.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I disagree. Beyond surface level, subjectivity doesn't have much usefulness because it can't be debated. You like what you like and some of that might be shit. They are often incidentally related, but for the purpose of debate, whether you liked something should not be relevant unless it's being specifically discussed.

The acting was fine, nothing really stood out one way or the other there. Long plots have kinda become standard for scifi, long before this show. BSG and DS9 helped usher that in. I'm not saying they had to do a seasonal arc, but they certainly don't get points for doing one. The plot itself was full of all kinds of holes though. If they had gone more episodic, they might not have had to string together a story that was clearly challenging the writers(quick tangent: name the last Abrams/Lindelof/Kurtzman production that didn't have plot holes).

Production quality was high. Copy pasting the fleets for the final battle...idk. With CGI costs continually declining, I'm wondering if the measure for production quality in a scifi show should inversely rise.

chaos chaos The second and third paragraphs, mine and dirk's, above are good examples of objective measures for this medium. We both know you know this, so I'm not sure the point of your ridiculous tangent.

I think DS9 was the first show that really had the long ark, multi season plots. It was amazing for that. There have been a few non scifi things that have done it, too. I think of something silly like Arrested Development. The deterioration of the model home was a constant, and things showed up from episode to episode. It actually increased my interest in the show.

And as far as production cost for CGI coming down - that might be the case, but it's also continually improving, so the most up to date CGI is going to look just a little better, and will age better. So people are still paying the money for the effects. I think Picard will age well in this sense.

And as far as acting goes, I think Patrick Stewart is excellent. Even if he's old.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Season arcs and continuity were originally shit on by networks back in the day because they felt it would make a show inaccessible. To a point, back then they were right. It really was not until late 70s or early 80s that you saw some shows moving towards continuous arcs. And they ended up being successful, so you started to see a lot more of that, especially in Sitcoms and Sci-Fi. DS9 was the first time Ron Moore (who makes great long term arcs and created most for TNG) was allowed to make an entire show with constant story arcs. As such DS9 has held up better than any Trek over the years and is probably the best star trek ever made.

None of this has anything to do with why Picard sucks. Not even wokism has anything to do with it. Kurtzman is a fucking hack and the longer leash he has gotten from Paramount, the worse it gets. Non sensical stories, people acting out of character, abrupt tonal shifts out of nowhere, inconstant (and flatly ridiculous) internal science rules, and the constant nihilistic urge to subvert expectations are all the direct result of him and his little circle jerk going completely unchecked. He likes to shit on fans love for a franchise in at a level Ryan Johnson would envy and it shows in everything he has crafted. Frankly the woke injections into Nu-Trek are just a symptom of a larger problem, though the most severe one.

One of the things that DS9 did so well was weave in backstory from the prior series (and movies) into the show without ever once taking a shit on what had come before. The tribble episode is the best example, of course, but there are a lot of other nuggets in there like the three Klingon captains episode, Orion Syndicate references, making sure the shapeshifter in ST6 fit into what they were doing, building on both the Cardassian and Bajoran material from TNG, and on and on. They never once took a correcting pencil to prior series, much less spin things to subvert them.

Kurtzman? Where to begin.... hijacking Section 31, completely demolishing Data in every way, Spock having an adopted sister who basically commits treason left and right? Whatever the living fuck those necromancer Klingons are supposed to be? Murder Hobo Harry Mudd? He has no respect for whats been built and just shits all over it when it serves his purpose. Thats why he is a hack and Moore will likely be remembered for being a great show builder for a long time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Production quality, acting, plot analysis, all very interesting things to talk about, none objective. CGI is fucking boring. It's not even a tangent man, just an observation. I think he has bad taste and should be verbally assaulted.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like my wife's lasagna more than a literal turd sandwich.

My wife's lasagna is good but she puts a large amount of spinach in it. Cooked spinach has a gross texture and it really hampers the overall dish.

See the difference? You said the first one.

Also, thanks for responding ;) You're still not substantiating your opinion, btw.
tell your wife she read the recipe wrong

it's not "S" for spinach, it's "S" for sausage, mo sauage is mo better

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Season arcs and continuity were originally shit on by networks back in the day because they felt it would make a show inaccessible.

I still find it odd how many old shows just don't have proper series finales. Even with shows that went on for a ton of seasons they never conclude. Even if you want to maintain a perfect rotation of interchangeable episodes for syndication giving the cast and crew a proper goodbye just seems like the right thing to do.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Production quality, acting, plot analysis, all very interesting things to talk about, none objective. CGI is fucking boring. It's not even a tangent man, just an observation. I think he has bad taste and should be verbally assaulted.
Yep, definitely a troll. Should have taken it farther to top IOOTI though.

Chris

Potato del Grande

The expansion of the Star Trek universe isn't slowing down any time soon. Since Alex Kurtzman and his colleagues at Secret Hideout took the helm of the Star Trek television universe, six new Star Trek series have emerged. It began with Star Trek: Discovery, continued with Star Trek: Picard, and progressed further with Star Trek: Lower Decks. Still to come are Star Trek: Discovery spinoffs Section 31 and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as well as kids animated series Star Trek: Prodigy with Kate Mulgrew returning as Capt. Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. But that's just the start. Kurtzman tells The Hollywood Reporter's TV's Top 5 podcast that there are loose plans in place to continue expanding the franchise through 2027.
That future includes several more seasons of Star Trek: Discovery beyond its third, which premieres on CBS All Access on Thursday. "I'm going to say, in all honesty, there are years and years left on Discovery," Kurtzman said. "I think that because Star Trek, in general, has had a long history of going something like seven seasons minimum, and we just jumped into the future… it's not that it's a brand new show, but it's a whole new set of variables with a whole new set of ideas and stories, and I don't think we limit ourselves to thinking, 'Oh, we're capped at this place.' I'll tell you when the show starts to feel stale to us, we will be rallying to stop it — but for now, it doesn't feel like we are running into a shortage of stories."
They don't have distribution on Section 31 or Strange New Worlds. This is just a sales pitch to viewers to generate hype as leverage with investors, not an announcement.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They don't have distribution on Section 31 or Strange New Worlds. This is just a sales pitch to viewers to generate hype as leverage with investors, not an announcement.

Not even Discovery is good for season 4. It's renewal was not an official announcement.

Kurtzman is shooting for Season 4 hoping it works out-- but again, nothing official on bringing Discovery back for a 4th season yet.

Picard also has no distribution for season 2 and would need outside investment.

Goatface

anyone seen real budget numbers?
all i found were estimates, std $100m per season and picard 55m to 70m.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
What's happening is they don't want to pay Kurty what he's contracted if they oust him, so they are letting him simmer for a year or two til his contract expires. Meanwhile, he's desperately trying to drum up ANY interest in ANYTHING by teasing all sorts of halfbaked announcements or show ideas and just seeing if anything gets any traction. He will then use his own masturbatory social media traction to entice investors to waste more money. Any real investors would have already invested if they were gonna, and i'll bet 'Flix and Amazon are right out. Likely it's a waiting game and they try to reboot what's left when he's gone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nothing says Star Trek like coldbloodedly executing someone with dual-wielded rifles.
So was this all her character was in Picard? Just a running gunning killem all person? At the end of Voyager 7 of 9 was more or less at stage of a young adolescent emotionally so that seems a little jarring to go from basically 12 year old to battle hardened killer.

Cybsled

She is disillusioned mostly. She wasn’t happy with how the ex-borg were being treated by the Federation or Romulans. There was a big black market for Borg implants. 7 got involved with someone that ultimately turns out to have used her to find these parts. Borg kid (Icheb) from last seasons of Voyager had joined Star Fleet, but was butchered by that person and Seven was forced to mercy kill him. After that she got all fucked up and sort of went rogue.

Only other cool scene is when she becomes a temporary Borg queen, but writers completely ruined the moment with some dumb bullshit that happened 5 seconds later

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly that's the only part of Picard that was good tbh. Her story made me sad for her character. She went through a lot with the rescued borg children.

Old Trek was about hope for the future. The Federation a shining light.

New Trek is about killing all hope. The Federation is shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I still find it odd how many old shows just don't have proper series finales. Even with shows that went on for a ton of seasons they never conclude. Even if you want to maintain a perfect rotation of interchangeable episodes for syndication giving the cast and crew a proper goodbye just seems like the right thing to do.
Shows become less popular and budgets dry up. Actors may/may not be willing to take a cut in pay or just walk away. Showrunners lose their shit and don't allow writers to write. Perfect example of this is Dexter. Last two seasons had vastly decreased budgets, showrunners went nuts on the writers. End product was a half baked pile of shit. X Flies Mulder simply walking away because of money issues. Cuddy on House doing the same. The list is long.

Best show that had a beginning and end in mind was Breaking Bad. They stuck to it and ended it as planned instead of dragging it out.

THIS is how you end a show.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm not going to trudge through discovery until the season ends and RLM puts out a video but Star Trek Discovery has been renewed for season 4 on CBS All Access. It will continue its international licensing deal with Netflix, who paid a hefty chunk of the production budgets for 1-3. I'm sure the people here who spin out wild fantasies about Disney, Trek, Star Wars, etc will have plenty of new rumors that are totally true and not made up

also.. DUN DUN DUN???

Last edited: