Star Trek: Picard

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kurtzman confirmed via Variety that show will have no scrap of similarity to TNG. No surprise there.

Series previously termed "Unwatchable" by CBS producer. Now called "Dead on arrival".

Kurtzman said he wanted to subvert expectations at comic-con panel.

Further leaks confirmed expectations will be fully subverted-- including subversion of desire to watch this show.

Picard will say "Fuck", and other swears in this show. Per Kurtzman's confirmation. Kurtzman is blaming Patrick Stewart for the idea of doing something nothing like Star Trek. Blame game for damage control starting. Kurtzman is in front of the press saying Patrick Stewart is culprit.

Chabon's departure confirmed to be a matter of "watchability" of the Picard show falling short of where CBS wanted the product. Shari Redstone is a big Star Trek fan, and she isn't happy.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kurtzman is essentially one of our "special" forum critics where we believe the opposite of everything he says, right? Cause when he writes instead of produces we get things like:

The Mummy (2017)
Star Trek Into Darkness
Transformers
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen
Mission Impossible III
Cowboys & Aliens
The Legend of Zorro

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I blame Game of Thrones. A television series based on a series known for subverting expectations in clever ways and then fucking it up. Which to idiots possessing zero of the talent to even understand what subverting expectations really means. Let alone a way to do it that people actually like.

Burns

Chabon's departure confirmed to be a matter of "watchability" of the Picard show falling short of where CBS wanted the product. Shari Redstone is a big Star Trek fan, and she isn't happy.

Really? A big Star Trek fan that keeps making more seasons of Discovery? *not sure if serious*

Maybe she means the JJ action Star Trek movies; is she a fan of the money they made? Is that it?

Don't know this Chabon writer, are his books good, cause I dont seen anything good that he has done in film/TV.

Malakriss

Most of the discussion i'm seeing on the "different expectations" topic is from the people who recognize TNG set up this perfect idealistic utopia for Earth that they couldn't breach in that series, but Picard is going to showcase a universe that's more akin to DS9 where Section 31 and the Dominion War + In the Pale Moonlight exists.

If the writing is there it can work, if it's Discovery level with how that show handled Section 31 it will fail just the same. If they give us characters and story on the level of Garak, then hell yes.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really? A big Star Trek fan that keeps making more seasons of Discovery? *not sure if serious*

Maybe she means the JJ action Star Trek movies; is she a fan of the money they made? Is that it?

Don't know this Chabon writer, are his books good, cause I dont seen anything good that he has done in film/TV.

I had the source open earlier but closed it, I can dig it again. She's 65 years old, so I assume she is talking about DS9, TNG, TOS.

Chabon being kicked to the curb for his association with Kurtzman is speculation based on the fact he was a very close collaborator of Kurtzman on this Picard series. Patrick Stewart, Chabon, and Kurtzman were all together when the direction of the show was decided-- per Kurtzman's own accounting of the birth of the show. Each of them is equally responsible for the creation of Picard, whether good or bad.

The greater reason Chabon was pulled off Season 2 as showrunner is suspected to be that Season 2 was a repeat of Season 1 which airs in 2 weeks, which CBS decided to go in a new direction.

It might be that Picard is less DS9 and more "Movies TNG" in action and tone. Which I'm perfectly fine with I guess. It should be palatable for nostalgia sake.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TNG set up this perfect idealistic utopia for Earth that they couldn't breach in that series, but Picard is going to showcase a universe that's more akin to DS9 where Section 31 and the Dominion War + In the Pale Moonlight exists.

I'm sure I read somewhere they wanted to frame this series in a society that closely mirrors the current populist, right-leaning, less-caring society that allows people like Trump to ascend. From what we've seen so far there definitely appears to be a coldness to the Federation that wasn't always so obvious. I mean, there's always been rogue admirals attempting borderline fascistic coups.

Maybe the Mars massacre has brought about a suspicious, xenophobic populace. At least intolerant of androids, Borg, etc.

Jovec

?
I'm sure I read somewhere they wanted to frame this series in a society that closely mirrors the current populist, right-leaning, less-caring society that allows people like Trump to ascend.

Seems to be in large part why Stewart agreed to do it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dark days in the utopian Star Federation that can produce almost anything out of space dust en masse.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Dark days in the utopian Star Federation that can produce almost anything out of space dust en masse.
...and there's infinite planets for refugees to settle on. Yet you know there'll be misunderstood Romulan refugees everywhere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If the writing is there it can work

TQIBRcB.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

This is why people get so angry with these locusts swarming over old franchises. Because they are absolutely cultish ideologues who can't help but want to push a narrative about how they see the world--at their core, they are more preachers than writers, and want stories that let them do that.

This comes into direct conflict with any media that is just not set up to handle this. And this is a perfect example--the Federation has almost NOTHING in common with current nations that would have issues with refugees...Language? Universal translators. Economic disruption? They can have their own planet with infinite resources. Anytime the federation got into stories where there was this issue of "what to do with people"--the only issue was either 1.) Stubborn assholes who didn't want to leave a nice planet they found, like the Marquis. 2.) There was some constraining factor that made resettlement an emergency. That's it. The idea of a slow burn problem is ridiculous when you have infinite energy and the ability to re-purpose fucking matter on the molecular level.

This just isn't a good franchise to push their sermon in, but since they can't produce anything on their own thanks to how they need to use the name for marketing; they will instead break everything in the lore that people love about this specific product. (Meanwhile a THOUSAND other sci-fi properties can easily deal with this storyline, but they aren't as well known, so these fucking vampires won't use them. Because the only things a preacher needs more than preaching, is a big fucking stage to do it on.)

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

Was going to ignore this. Then I saw 7 of 9 was in it, so I can now relive some of my early twenties and fap furiously to Star Trek.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Malakriss

Sources say the drama has also received early orders to begin work on season three, which will likely be filmed back to back with the sophomore drama with production not very brief a hiatus between cycles.

Additionally, 12 Monkeys alum Terry Matalas has boarded Picard as an executive producer and also signed an overall deal with CBS TV Studios. Sources note that the studio pulled him off of its MacGyver reboot at CBS to come to Picard, which is a high priority for the studio. Matalas will take over as showrunner in season two to help fill the void created by Michael Chabon's planned departure.

Chabon, and his wife, author Ayelet Waldman, inked an overall deal with Picard producers CBS TV Studios and are adapting the former's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay as a limited series for corporate sibling Showtime. As part of that deal, Chabon will transition to the new series and exit Picard this year.
Who is using who here.

It's worth noting that Picard was informally renewed for a second season in December when the series earned a $20.45 million tax credit from the California Film Commission. It was one of 16 projects to receive credits for basing production in the state. (Season one also received tax credits.)
Hollywood accounting.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm

“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” he says. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.” In “Picard,” the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Real-world parallels are not hard to identify. It is one week before the parliamentary election that will see British prime minister and Brexit hardliner Boris Johnson’s Conservatives win a staggering victory over their Labour rivals. And Stewart is not feeling optimistic about the near future.

“I’m not sure which one of us is in the most trouble,” he says of Britain and the United States. “I think it’s actually the U.K. I think we’re f—ed, completely f—ed.” He points to studies predicting decades-long economic damage inflicted by the country’s looming withdrawal from the European Union. Of the U.S., he says, “There is a time limit to your f—ed state, which is four years away.” He expresses hope that “the United States that has given us the Trump administration” can change, but adds, “He will likely get reelected.”

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users