Star Trek: Picard

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Like... I'm hype for Q, literally one of the best antagonist characters in recent history, but I also can't help but wash my excitement with an old man's disgruntled groan.

Q worked with Picard because he played his games. He didn't work with Janeway because she straight told him to fuck off. That he wanted to mate with her, or the one with the suicidal Q didn't exactly make for brilliant storytelling themes, either.

The child Q episode was probably my least favorite.

Also, time? What the fuck. Are we opening up for a flash back to his time on the Stargazer, where Jack Crusher dies and he gains the title of Captain? Because that shit would give me a raging boner. A whole season similar to Tapestry, but without implying that the old man basically fucked however old that girl was right out of cadet school.

"Reunion", one of my favorite Trek novels, covers a lot of the history there. Michael Jan Friedman wrote a bunch on his Stargazer experience. I also love that ship's design. It would also be nice to go back to something.... familiar. Drop in Guinan. However, recasting a young Stewart would be a nearly impossible task.

That said, what I've wanted next more than anything else in a Star Trek series, more than going forward (post Voyager, pre Discovery 3rd season), going backward (Enterprise), was a fucking Stargazer series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
So the same company that is flushing hundreds of millions of dollars into their video game toilet (Amazon) noped out of distribution for Picard Season 2 because viewership was that fucking abysmal and Paramount was like yeah we got this. I wish they would just bury this already. Season 1 of T:NG still holds up better than Picard and season 1 of TNG was pretty fucking bad.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
However, recasting a young Stewart would be a nearly impossible task..
1617722760372.png

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So the same company that is flushing hundreds of millions of dollars into their video game toilet (Amazon) noped out of distribution for Picard Season 2 because viewership was that fucking abysmal and Paramount was like yeah we got this. I wish they would just bury this already. Season 1 of T:NG still holds up better than Picard and season 1 of TNG was pretty fucking bad.

1617735483874.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
He IS the bald captain.
Someone else mentioned the episode Tapestry - which was super well done. In that one, you saw a glimpse of young Picard who had hair - in fact Picard and Q joked about it iirc.

I'd rather they cast someone believable as a "young Picard" in attitude/spirit than someone who physically looks the part. Stewart is old enough that its ok if the actor doesn't look like him - its not ok if the actor acts/doesn't feel like him. See that stupid TNG movie with the Picard Romulan clone for a bad example

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Romulan Picard grew up on Remus in a slavor labor camp. Of course he was gonna be fucked up.

Basically this. This is what makes modern Picard. Previous to this experience he was basically Season 1 Riker... or Kirk. He ranks up fast, and is forced to take command in a situation that they mimicked with Kirk in Star Trek (2009). Captain dies or is captured, he's first officer, wins a Kobayashi Maru encounter... Wam bam, Captain.
Jean-Luc_Picard_stabbed.jpg

tarb

Trakanon Raider
"De Lancie alluded to the fact they've aged up Q-- possibly intentionally, for the show. I'm guessing to mock Picard's mortality."
Or they will just ignore it because these writers are too shit to actual do anything good.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not a popular opinion, but I always hated Q in TNG. The actor did a good enough job, i just thought the whole concept was very idiotic. Any being that advanced wouldn't bother talking to us "animals". They would be millions or billions of years ahead of us. It would be like us talking to amoebas.

TOS had an episode with a similar being. But it was a child and his parents considered us to be his pets. Which is what we would be to beings like Q, if they bothered with us at all.

Cybsled

Data literally states in the TNG finale that Q probably views Picard as a beloved pet

Then Voyager ruined him lol

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah didn't all the really weird Q plotlines happen in Voyager? Like a Q wanted to be made mortal so he could commit suicide, then his suicide sparked a Q civil war and the solution was a Q baby.

Cybsled

Main Q didn’t want to suicide, it was a different Q. But ya, Voyager was when they tried to delve into Q lore and it got odd

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
While Im sure it will be a trainwreck either way, John de Lancie is a great actor and probably better than anyone else on that show (Stewart included)

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
if we could talk to amoebas I would at least try and troll them, why not. Someone, probably on this very board, would definitely try and find a way to fuck one.

The idea of Q as a force of nature, a vengeful god setting tests for humanity, it was kind of interesting. When you add in Q culture and shit then it quickly becomes retarded.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As mentioned, this will likely continue the mortality theme from Season 1 using Q as a device.

Hence the 6 episodes-- it'll be a full arc that's in line with the greater theme of the Picard series as a whole.

Q was the right character to continue exploring these themes.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm tempted to watch Picard again.

I was pretty vocal in my disdain of it but maybe it's worth a second chance.

• 1Seriously?