Star Trek: Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i'm pretty sure that "symboint" with an N just showed up after people continually mispronounced "symbiote." they both have identical definitions. Symbiote showed up in the 1800's, Symbionte showed up a few decades later. it's like how "irregardless" is now officially in the dictionary.
Im just talking about how they use the terms in DS9, I'm aware they're synonymous irl.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

• 3Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
This...this is a joke, right?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So it's dead for a generation if not longer.

Kurtzman said dystopian themes aren't going to be in Strange New Worlds.

If he bent the knee and agreed to reverse all current trends (include the trannys, but cut the dark future shit) then maybe CBS agreed to continue working with him.

At least 2 of his new shows were supposed to lighten up on dystopian themes and deliver a more classic trek experience.

We just have to wait and see if he can deliver. Wait for Picard S2, and if the dystopian themes are watered down, and Q lightens the mood, and Strange New Worlds drops and it's classic era trek and hits it out the park with the tone-- then we let him breathe for a minute.

Patrick Stewart wants Picard to be intensely dystopian... so don't expect much there. But let him get Strange New Worlds out, then you can parse this re-signing.

The future tone of Star Trek is riding on Strange New Worlds. Let him hit one more lick before tuning out for infinity.

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
No...

watchmen_3-e1593659071752.jpg

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Kurtzman said dystopian themes aren't going to be in Strange New Worlds.

If he bent the knee and agreed to reverse all current trends (include the trannys, but cut the dark future shit) then maybe CBS agreed to continue working with him.

At least 2 of his new shows were supposed to lighten up on dystopian themes and deliver a more classic trek experience.

We just have to wait and see if he can deliver. Wait for Picard S2, and if the dystopian themes are watered down, and Q lightens the mood, and Strange New Worlds drops and it's classic era trek and hits it out the park with the tone-- then we let him breathe for a minute.

Patrick Stewart wants Picard to be intensely dystopian... so don't expect much there. But let him get Strange New Worlds out, then you can parse this re-signing.

The future tone of Star Trek is riding on Strange New Worlds. Let him hit one more lick before tuning out for infinity.

you come from the perspective that cbs is unhappy with Trek so has imposed new rules to "make it a success" because you don't like the current run of Star Trek. There is absolutely ZERO indication to assume that is true.

I also despise the current runs of Discovery, Picard, etc. However, its a bad assumption to make what you dislike means everyone else dislikes it.

Its far easier to just assume CBS is very happy with how Star Trek currently performs, especially considering they keep adding NEW shows and expanding his production. Its silly to assume they told him "ok, we hate what you are doing, but if you pinky swear to change, we will give you $150m and ask you to make us a dozen new shows". Its much easier to just assume they are extremely happy with how he is doing and have given him a ton of money and lots and lots of power to do whatever the fuck he wants.

The same holds true for Star Wars.

Once you realize that you realize you and your opinions no longer matter to anyone in Hollywood. spoiler alert, they never really did. All those youtubers you and Chuck watch are just feeding you lies to keep you in a bubble of imagining anyone in power gives a fuck about you. Join us brother in the truth, that no one cares about you, and save yourself 10 hours of youtube watching a week so you can watch weird motherfuckers like asmongold on twitch instead!

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Lol. Sad. But somewhat predictable. Kurtzman does make money for the studio and has a history of some successes (outside of Trek). The studios / Netflixs of the world are in a bidding war for content creators / producers. Kurtzman had leverage and he played it. Goodbye Trek.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you come from the perspective that cbs is unhappy with Trek so has imposed new rules to "make it a success" because you don't like the current run of Star Trek. There is absolutely ZERO indication to assume that is true.

I also despise the current runs of Discovery, Picard, etc. However, its a bad assumption to make what you dislike means everyone else dislikes it.

Its far easier to just assume CBS is very happy with how Star Trek currently performs, especially considering they keep adding NEW shows and expanding his production. Its silly to assume they told him "ok, we hate what you are doing, but if you pinky swear to change, we will give you $150m and ask you to make us a dozen new shows". Its much easier to just assume they are extremely happy with how he is doing and have given him a ton of money and lots and lots of power to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Once you realize that you realize you and your opinions no longer matter to anyone in Hollywood. spoiler alert, they never really did. All those youtubers you and Chuck watch are just feeding you lies to keep you in a bubble of imagining anyone in power gives a fuck about you. Join us brother in the truth, that no one cares about you, and save yourself 10 hours of youtube watching a week so you can watch weird motherfuckers like asmongold on twitch instead!
i dont watch star trek and now not even star wars anymore. until they announce they re-signed KK, i will continue to have some hope they can right their ship. i watch videos about their failures for the lulz. all these companies keep digging themselves deeper. they dont care about money anymore, its all about the ten weirdoes on twitter who hold these companies hostage. maybe they are brainwashing the masses of millenials and Gen-zees into thinking this is quality content. i know what ST and SW are supposed to be and they will never get my money again.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

What is there to like about dystopian themes? And the RT audience score speaks for itself.
Dystopian themes are the single biggest complaint for the last several years regarding the brand.

It's a solid assumption-- people don't like it.

Cybsled

Dystopian themes are fine in moderation, but when they go hard eventually people tire of them and want to see change

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That said, I haven't seen a single minute of Picard S1 outside of the RLM reviews. Although I am reconsidering it in honor of lurkingdirk.

I'm giving Picard S2 a chance for the reason De Lancie's arc should lighten the overall tone of the show, making it more palatable.

• 1Like

tarb

Trakanon Raider
That said, I haven't seen a single minute of Picard S1 outside of the RLM reviews. Although I am reconsidering it in honor of lurkingdirk.

I'm giving Picard S2 a chance for the reason De Lancie's arc should lighten the overall tone of the show, making it more palatable.
But the same writers from season 1 who have never seen one episode of Star Trek are still there right?

• 1Solidarity

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider

dark city.JPG

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But the same writers from season 1 who have never seen one episode of Star Trek are still there right?

De Lancie is opinionated enough to speak up if something doesn't work. I don't believe he's going to let Stewart's agenda destroy the legacy of the Q character.

I fully expect a homage, not a deconstruction. Everything in the press so far indicates it'll be a homage to Picard's prior relationship with Q.