Star Trek: Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In terms of great shows having declining quality in later/final seasons, DS9 isn't even a blip on my radar anymore.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Once, long ago, I was excited for the Picard show, as we would finally get to see something past DS9 in the timeline.

Now, when I see 'they time travel to the 21st century', the only question is "Did they have to cut the budget to that degree since no one wants this show' or 'Are they delusional enough that they had to write fanfiction about how they stopped Hitler Trump'?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Oh great.. more time travel bullshit. Two shows where one gets plugged in and fucks up the canon line, and then gets sent 1000 years into the future, where it probably should have started in the first place. The other gets sent a couple hundred years back to present day cause we're watching futuristic shows so they can come back and lecture us on current day social and political bullshit. Just give us a fucking star trek based on 20 years after tng ffs.

Chris

Potato del Grande

its on CBS's streaming thing (Paramount+ ?) in the USA but amazon prime in other areas of the world which doesn't do P+

hahahahahaha just watched the trailer wow not a single new idea in the writing team, "lets send picard to 2021 and have him fight MAGA LOL"

hahahaha even in my stupidest, drunkest mind i couldn't come up with a shittier season concept for Star Trek, that is quite an accomplishment.

This is incredible.

Going back to 2021 allows them to fight MAGA and save tons of money on sets.

Sci fi shows always have those low budget episodes where it's time travel or holodeck or a dream or something to use some sort of cheap modern or period set. Star Trek did it at least once per season.

But doing it for a good chunk of the season??

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's arguably not even Star Trek if they just tool around on Earth for the entire season with Stewart making like a geriatric Sam Beckett.

Cybsled

Well to be fair, time travel is pretty Trek. Virtually every show has had time travel play a central role in an episode or a string of episodes.

Although I would say the quality of them hasn't been so hot since DS9 ended. Voyager did the 90s time travel thing to try to explain why our version of the 90s differs from the traditional 90s in Trek lore (ie, why isn't WW3 happening right now?), but their time travel episodes were kind of meh.

With Trek usually most of the joy is watching the characters react with wonder or horror at how things used to be in the past.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well to be fair, time travel is pretty Trek. Virtually every show has had time travel play a central role in an episode or a string of episodes.

Yep. I mean, there are standard templates across Trek that are used time and again in each series.

Just off the top of my head - time travel, mirror universe, stranded on a planet with hostile environment/locals with the added injured crew member dynamic, prime directive dilemma, coming of age (Wesley/Kes), misunderstanding with an alien race leading to animosity and eventual friendship, time travel...

Then you have Discovery additions - crying, virtue signalling, bit more crying, LGBTQ awareness, plenty more crying.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm so tired of time travel trek.

the only way this will be acceptable is if this somehow changes the timeline back to its original point in the Trekverse. That will never happen though so....uggghhhhhh

spronk

FPS noob

i think season 3 is already filming so seems unlikely Geordi is returning, but the show is a shit show so kinda hope he doesn't anyways

he also talks about how Data got laid more in TNG than Geordi, lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users