Star Trek: Picard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Why are we pretending that Star Trek hasn’t always been a SJW haven? I mean it’s just not as subtle anymore...but come on.

Maybe someone else can better define it, but the moralism behind TNG is not the same as the hamfisted SJW horsheshit in Discovery.

EDIT: Arbitrary nails it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Actually, yes. There was one report that came through an aggregate that showed piracy was down in certain markets but the glut of pay services is now so spread out that people are starting to get weary of it and looking back on cable and sat with rose-colored glasses and I don't disagree.

Also, the fact that you guys are just NOW bitching about SJW stuff in Star Trek is pretty hilarious.

181128-platos-stepchildren-star-trek-interracial-kiss-ew-1143a_bbaa3d178e202e7948f1db2e58e0eff3.fit-760w.jpg

You guys would have lost your MINDS in 1968...

Can't waste an opportunity to call everyone racist. Me from earlier in this thread -

Star Trek is about a future in which humanity has bested many of its great nemeses. It's optimistic. Star Trek was one of the few shows that Dr. Martin Luthor King Jr. allowed his kids to watch. We've got a Jap on the helm and a Ruskie in charge of the weapon's system post WW2 and with the Cold War raging. Roddenberry had to place Uhuru right behind Kirk to keep the television stations in the South from being able to just edit her out. That character is like 5th in command on the Federation's flagship. Star Trek has the first interracial kiss - between Kirk and Uhura. When filming that scene the studio tried to cut it but Shatner and Nichols just went through with the kiss again and again until they ran out of film.

Get fucking fucked with this "Star Trek has always been SJW" horseshit. Star Trek has always been progressive. A future in which we've put race behind us? Great! Remember that episode of TOS where there's two groups of people at war - one with white and black faces and the other with black and white faces - and everyone thinks their dispute is beyond ridiculous? That episode would be racist by today's standards. It's dismissive to mixed-race individuals and doesn't capture the reality of blackness in the modern day etc etc etc. Instead of moving beyond race SJWs have made everything about race and gender. Star Trek's message was the literal opposite of that for more than half a century.

I'd love some "let's all hold hands and march in to the future together" science fiction where Jean Luc Picard fixes problems with words but what we're going to get is Patrick Stewart punching Space Boris Johnson for wanting Space Borders.

So yeah, we talked about that already and more.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A lot of people conflate the two. Yeah, Star Trek has always been a progressive vision of the future. Yeah, sjw shit exists and is a different thing than that. tbh with the way people are in these online (lawl) bubble, you have to just make up your own mind where that line is and where the content falls.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In today's terms if there was a news article about William Shatner's scene with Michelle Nichols where he literally kissed her over and over and over again until the film ran out to get it in the show Jezebel would write articles about him sexually assaulting her, whether or not she consented to each and every kiss, did she feel coerced, and how irresponsible it is to push the fetishization of the African female form by whites and it's connections to slavery.

• 3Like
  • 2Garbage
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Siliconemelons

Again, it's not hard...

Tos till discovery - ST just DID it, they just DID the progressive future, it's characters and world "it was no big deal" nor- did they in show "push a message in story"

Discovery - it PUSHES it on the viewer over and over and makes a persistent in character and in show preach message "HEY LOOK HEY HEY!!!"

That's the difference we "complain" about and mark issues....

We will see how Picard does it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Eh, they pushed some messages hard in some of the older Treks. That DS9 episode where Sisco is a writer in the 1950s comes to mind, but it was a good episode. The TNG one where Picard doesn’t want to be another white dude kicking Native Americans out because someone wants their land now, etc.

Sci-fi(including Trek) have always been about taking topical political issues, coating them in silver and green paint, and showing it to the audience to make a point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What "The Orville" got right and "Discovery gets wrong; I'd like to know before bothering to invest some time.

Sometimes I forget what board this is, and I have to force myself to interact with solipsistic, neckbearded, retards. Any older Trek fans got a review?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, they pushed some messages hard in some of the older Treks. That DS9 episode where Sisco is a writer in the 1950s comes to mind, but it was a good episode. The TNG one where Picard doesn’t want to be another white dude kicking Native Americans out because someone wants their land now, etc.

Sci-fi(including Trek) have always been about taking topical political issues, coating them in silver and green paint, and showing it to the audience to make a point.

The first one was way too ham-handed, second one was just a lame re-use of the bit.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Episode out at the usual places,

I enjoyed it, but I'm gay for Picard

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What "The Orville" got right and "Discovery gets wrong; I'd like to know before bothering to invest some time.

Sometimes I forget what board this is, and I have to force myself to interact with solipsistic, neckbearded, retards. Any older Trek fans got a review?
The Orville just felt a lot like TNG but with a bunch of hit or miss humor which I would've preferred a lot less of but it was still enjoyable. So if you enjoyed TNG you might as well take a look at it. I'll probably never rewatch it but it was alright.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
We enjoy our solipsistic retardation found these parts. We also enjoy not trimming. Islam is right about beards.

It sounds like the first episode was not aggressively offensive. By today's standards that is a success.

"We should be nice to refugees" is pretty standard star trek. I would be surprised if all 3 of the good series (tos, tng, ds9) did not do multiple issues on the topic. Maybe just 1 episode for tos, and it probably would have been jews. Maybe that Nazi episode, I don't remember it.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TNG had progressive issue based episodes ahead of the curve (Riker falling for the gendered woman on the genderless planet, the drug enablers getting run out of business in season one, Warf euthenasia episode, Data's civil rights eps), but they were actually nuanced and often led to outcomes that would not be enjoyed by the cult.

To be fair, Romulus going tits up due to the loss of its capital planet is entirely valid as a premise (centralized authoritarian regimes have this happen to them in the real world all through history). The issue is that its already more or less been dealt with, not once (concerns of Klingon wakandans in Undiscovered Country), twice (Bajoran refugee crisis in TNG), three times (Talax related stuff in Voyager), but four fucking times (Suliban Refugees in Enterprise) in Trek's history in great detail. And with better writing. It could be a good idea, but letting actors drive the writing (with or without an agenda) almost never works out. And we know what shit tier writing exists now on this IP, just from Discovery.

And worse it cheapens everything about the character that has been built up. Picard of TNG and even movie era was a guy who would take on the halls of federation power if he felt he had the moral high ground and had been recognized as such multiple times. He is basically getting the Vader treatment, where an icon we loved growing up is being shit on in the name of making a political statement and/or advancing some hacks thin writing career by hitching their wagon to an existing IP. They are basically taking the John Sheridan character and plugging it into Picard, really. Its not Discovery bad, but its not good. If burned out Stewart worked in a series Blunt Talk would still be on the air.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished, its not bad. Its half good and half meh. There is a LOT of "member berries", but its about shit I love so I'm cool with it. I'm sure the show will get worse, it doesn't really feel like the bones are all quite there - the show is a bit too on the nose about immigration, people who are different, helping people outside your culture, etc to not just starting seeing "SEE? SEE? THIS IS LIKE OUR WORLD" whereas a lighter touch would have been better. The root idea for the show is also not great, at least able to sustain past a few episodes, so I expect the show to nosedive quickly.

I think if you're a TNG / Picard fan you'll want to watch at least episode 1, no trannies show up (so far!) and there are no big speeches about how fascist leaders need to be stopped from building a wall or taking bribes from Ferengi Corporations to get dirt on their Federation Council opponents. Its mostly weak ruminations on immigration and how we treat people different than us, which is something Star Trek has always talked about.

Picard looks and acts old as fuck which is sad, everyone else is wildly forgettable but there are some cool scenes especially the last 2 minutes. They are leaning HARD into Nostalgia, there are zero new ideas in this show.

TNG had a lot of immigration episodes, the 18th episode of season 2 dealt with dirty fucking Irish men, who Worf wanted to space. Everyone knows space Gingers have no souls

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
lol that clone planet/Irish stereotype episode was so fucking stupid

TNG's got a rough couple of seasons. There's also Tasha Yar fighting off a forced marriage on a planet of tribal black people and then Wesley falling in a flower patch and being sentenced to die by a planet of all blonde whites living in paradise. Oh, and the episode where women are bigger than the feminine men and Riker makes out with the leader because he's so manly.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So where is this ranking on the SJW meter so far?
First episode it's pretty low. I'm hyper sensitive to that shit and no alarms went off for me. An obvious immigration reference pops up but it didn't make me lose my mind or anything. Overall I quite enjoyed the first episode probably because I'm such a huge TNG fan, and a fan of a particular character.

Goatface

i would give it a b-, overall enjoyed it. they used some odd/bad camera angles and thought it was dumb how the
necklace
was pushed into the story and the interaction between
the sister and the guy at the end
was terrible

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
1st episode has me intrigued. This is going to end in two ways. It's either going to be epic or it's going to suck a massive dick. I don't see a middle ground after this episode.