Star Trek: Picard

Cybsled

You'd be surprised how many people who live in developed countries don't fully understand nutrient requirements, because they typically have easy access to it and almost never want for it.

You don't hear of many people dying from scurvy or iodine deficiencies in the US.

Siliconemelons

The fact TOS spouted off stuff like you need salt, it's X% of your body bla bla bla that is true and science-y vs "oh random monster sucks your hoo-jama-boo out and u die!" Makes it more "real science" than "only technobabble"

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
TOS sucks

mostly all trek sucks

you really have to grow up w/ it and have memberberries to appreciate it
9699468f53f55af530e8bf7e8956d27d.gif

could i watch this garbage now? hell no, but 14yr old me remembers fondly

Unfortunately that first silver costume cut off her circulation so she doesn't wear it that long.

Not like the brownish catsuit is bad or anything but it's not quite as fetish-tier as the silver.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Vic felt like a cash in on the popularity of Voyager’s Doctor to be sure. Show had the whole Kira Odo thing going all 7 seasons, so not like it came out of nowhere.

S7 has some amazing episodes, though. Like the Siege episode and the finale was great.
Finale was terrible(compared to the rest of the series). Blatantly reused battle footage(other episodes in season 7 did this too) and a 2 parter plot that needed at least double the episodes to make sense. Wouldn't be surprised if GoT D&D were involved somehow. Solid-hating bitch gave up because of the power of love.

That song is stuck in your head now, you're welcome.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That said, Siege of AR-558 was the highlight of Season 7 and one of the best of the series. The very next episode, It's Only A Paper Moon, was quite good in spite of Vic.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What didn’t you like about DS9 season 7? Ezri?
did not know dax went to fucking becker for s7
511c%2BX7XUSL._AC_.jpg

mainly b/c bergman was being a cunty jew

also this shit was on CBS, who the fuck in the 80s/90s ever watched ANYTHING that was CBS, CBS made the shittiest shows, and (in ny) it was the shittiest station, channel 2, couldn't bunny ear that shit to save your life.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
What Ted Danson really needs is more brown.

Cybsled

Finale was terrible(compared to the rest of the series). Blatantly reused battle footage(other episodes in season 7 did this too) and a 2 parter plot that needed at least double the episodes to make sense. Wouldn't be surprised if GoT D&D were involved somehow. Solid-hating bitch gave up because of the power of love.

That song is stuck in your head now, you're welcome.

They did reuse a lot of battle shit, although that was in part due to budget cuts

Female changling gave up because Odo was going to rejoin the link in exchange for stopping the war and the war was a lost cause at that point. To her, the prize of Odo returning to the link was much better than a "fuck you Cardasians" genocide and make the alliance bleed gesture. At various points in the series, she had made it clear that Odo rejoining the link was a very high priority to them to the point where they would trade the entire Alpha quadrant for that.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The finale of DS9 has that weird clip show bit towards the end that just eats up time and where no one "remembers" Jadzia plus the final confrontation being between Sisko and Dukat doesn't work all that well. Kira and Dukat are in direct opposition almost the entire show.

Honestly, it would have been best to have killed Dukat along with his daughter. His arc is basically concluded once he loses her and loses DS9. Getting made in to the Big Bad at the last second in a new arc that isn't all that interesting is so much worse than what we got from the character in earlier seasons.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ezri, Ezri & Bashir, too much Vic, and the Kira/Odo romance were the main problems with the season

The ezri / bashir / worf stuff all made sense, but it really didn't need to be given as much time as it was.

Even for DS9 where it was more acceptable it got too soap operaish.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed first 3 seasons of Enterprise for what it was. The 4th season kinda fell off while I enjoyed the entire 3rd season the most with the protecting earth from the doomsday weapon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashkett

Trakanon Raider
Parachuting lurker, whee! 'Cause the original series is dear to my heart.

The original series, from the perspective of people in the 60's, much of the gee qiz tech was things that were on the cusp of being a reality when you get away from flashy things like transporters and photon torpedoes.

Auto sliding doors with sensors to detect when a person wanted to go though, Uhura's wireless earpiece, the data "tapes" spock used at his console being so small, A computer that can talk, Dick Tracy type communicators with tiny video screens etc. Watch the show from the perspective of the tech available at the time.

A lot of little thigs were still in the gee qiz category whe it originally aired in the 60s, but was already starting to be taken for granted by reruns in the 70s, and young wippersnappers that didnt see it till 80s or 90s for the first time probably got no sense of future science when watching so it seemed much more silly.

But for me, I remember when the first clunky supermarket auto sliding door appeared in my town and I excitedly thought "Just like star Trek!", albeit the first real thing was a lot slower and I was a bit dissapointed with no "shoosh" noise, haha.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've just wrapping up season 3 of my TNG rewatch, I love it, when I think of Star Trek these are the episodes I think of. There's minimal action and yeah, the tech is basically just handwaved as magic with some exceptions, doesn't bother me though. All sci-fi is fantasy, their job is to tell the story not theorize on actual implementations of tech. Even in the 90s I remember their computer screens and communicators just looked like steampunk tech or something, made no sense given our level of tech. I'm pretty psyched for Sins of the Father and Best of Both Worlds, they are coming up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I enjoyed first 3 seasons of Enterprise for what it was. The 4th season kinda fell off while I enjoyed the entire 3rd season the most with the protecting earth from the doomsday weapon.
I aall liked enterprise.

They had episodes here and there that felt like actual trek episodes. And a horny vulcan.

The time war stuff was aids. Leave that for Dr who. That show is better at it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've just wrapping up season 3 of my TNG rewatch, I love it, when I think of Star Trek these are the episodes I think of. There's minimal action and yeah, the tech is basically just handwaved as magic with some exceptions, doesn't bother me though. All sci-fi is fantasy, their job is to tell the story not theorize on actual implementations of tech. Even in the 90s I remember their computer screens and communicators just looked like steampunk tech or something, made no sense given our level of tech. I'm pretty psyched for Sins of the Father and Best of Both Worlds, they are coming up.
in television you're absolutely right. In books, there is a subclass of sci fi that is not fantasy and whose purpose is exactly to explore the social ramifications of futuristic ideas. Clarke wrote a lot of that.

It's really hard to make interesting.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
in television you're absolutely right. In books, there is a subclass of sci fi that is not fantasy and whose purpose is exactly to explore the social ramifications of futuristic ideas. Clarke wrote a lot of that.

It's really hard to make interesting.
I love The Expanse because of the realism. That's part of the draw. Star Trek though? Beyond big ideas like faster than light travel, the vast majority of the tech is just Shia Lebeef gifs, magic all the way down. I like some other authors that have done similar things, Hamilton and Clarke, etc.

Some social things are handwaved too, it's just TV logic. Like the episode where they hold a trial to determine if Data is property or "a person". That's a good episode, but if you think about it too hard it all falls apart. Like, they just let Data join Starfleet without addressing this? Picard has been putting him in charge of the ship, he has rank and responsibility, and they never had this discussion? Or the one I just watched last night, there are terrorists attacking some planet, and Crusher wants to stay behind to tend to the wounded, and Picard caves to her, leading to a bunch more deaths and bad shit. Her entire argument is stupid, they have transporters, transport them all to sickbay. Or they could have sent an auxilliary security force to the planet. Or any of a hundred other things. They have magic tech, but didn't use it because <story>, then we all learned a lesson via a thinly veiled allegory about the Israelis and Palestinians.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
TNG was always my favorite, but on my most recent rewatch I've come to enjoy it less. DS9 has moved up their, and I've always enjoyed Voyager more than most.