Star Trek: Picard

Cybsled

Thank you for admitting that the show was directly antithetical to Roddenberry's vision of the future.

I think it just made it more realistic.

Think Vulcans. Vulcans have emotions, but they effectively suppress them through active effort to the point that they are essentially "emotionless". They have to work to achieve that emotionless state. If they were 100% incapable of any emotion because they physically lack the capacity, then it would make them less interesting.

I view humans in Late TNG and onward Trek as something similar. The utopian ideal is something that takes effort and humans have to actively work to achieve that cultural mentality they have in the show. The fact they can achieve that even with all that evolutionary baggage is a more impressive feat than "suddenly, 300 years from now, humans just randomly evolved to not do that bad shit anymore". I think having some disagreements, but working through them in a mature fashion, was a good hallmark of post-Roddenberry Trek pre-2000. Plus the occasional reminders that humans still are human at their core. The "zoomers in space" shit we saw with Discovery just lacked the nuance and understanding the earlier shows did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Agree that DS9 deviated from the 'Trek vision'. Also agree that DS9 was so good that I can't hate on it.

Remember when starships had spouses and children? And Picard was telling bad guys how good it was to bring them along? I do. Which makes Beverly's excuse in Picard S3 extra retarded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Beverly's excuse was valid in the sense that the attacks against Picard post-Enterprise were targeted vs. incidental.

Shit happened on the Enterprise in TNG because stuff happened. Most wasn't because of Picard being on the ship, with some exceptions.

But the things Beverly was describing were literal assassination attempts and the like. If there are groups literally trying to murder a man, it seems like revealing he has a kid would have just put a giant bullseye on the kid as a means of getting to Picard.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Agree that DS9 deviated from the 'Trek vision'. Also agree that DS9 was so good that I can't hate on it.

Yep. It's just now you've got some fresh millennial writer digging around and thinking Section 31 sounds really cool and adding it to Discovery. Maybe we should have an entire Section 31 show! DS9 stands out because of its contrast and it was still ultimately optimistic. I mean holy fuck next time you binge the series take a drink every time Kira calls herself a terrorist or she references the Bajoran civilians she had to kill to free her people. Collaborators got the fucking rope up to her deciding to fucking blow up her comfort wife collaborator mother during an orb vision. That's some bleak fucking shit.

But then we've got her working with Dumar who also has a hell of an arc AND GARRAK WHOM SHE FUCKING HATED to free the very people that oppressed the Bajorans for like 80 years and pulling it off by sparking a full planetary revolt against the Dominion, ending the war and bringing peace to the quadrant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U

Remember when starships had spouses and children? And Picard was telling bad guys how good it was to bring them along? I do. Which makes Beverly's excuse in Picard S3 extra retarded.
Suddenly family issues on ships, kids skipping school to hide in conduits n shit. Ok fine, but let's open fire on this bitch.
Also still never saw a single person have to take a shit.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But then we've got her working with Dumar who also has a hell of an arc AND GARRAK WHOM SHE FUCKING HATED to free the very people that oppressed the Bajorans for like 80 years and pulling it off by sparking a full planetary revolt against the Dominion, ending the war and bringing peace to the quadrant.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Goddamn that show is so fucking good.

Dark themes, still optimistic. Redemption arcs, redemption arcs everywhere. And Dumar started out as Dukat's heavy showing up only occasionally and rarely having dialogue when he did. Hey, what if that cardboard cut tout was instead a major figure?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
my favorite part of the episode was when Beverly said "and the stars took Wesley too!" lol, wesley being pedo raped by the tall traveler dude for all eternity is now canon

although didn't he show up in s2 as a time traveler or some shit. why didn't he ever visit his mom, what an asshole

and yeah obviously compared with TNG season 2 onwards - season 1 sucks, and Riker has no beard - Picard s3 is shit but compared to Picard s1 & s2 its pretty decent. Its not exactly TNG, its more like ... Discovery with fewer assholes and a lot of memberberries.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the thing about ds9 and roddenberry's vision is that it wasn't antithetical, it's that ds9 was literally in deep space. it was a space station that was on the fringes of federation space. the values of the federation are there but so are the values of all the non-utopian powers-that-be that were closer than the federation. you're GOING to get all kinds of conflict in a situation like that.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
there was a lot of reasons. the differences in viewpoints between roddenbery and the show runners was definitely a part of it. purists had issues with it that have been covered already. but i think ultimately the main issue was that the first season of ds9 was SLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW. it took the first season to set up all the pieces for the rest of the show. the payoff was amazing, but it's a show that's exceedingly hard to get into

Very much this. So much of early DS9 was so boring that it earned the unofficial nickname 'Deep Sleep 9' among my friends.

There were moments of greatness in there, but there was also lot of bland episodes I couldn't give you the plot for with a gun to my head.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of my favourite scenes of DS9.

If the writing and acting of the current generation of shows was one tenth that of these two I'd be glued to the screen.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Cybsled

The best part about the root beer scene is it was originally intended to just be episode filler fluff for laughs…but both actors agreed to play it serious and build on the subtext and now it ranks high on favorite DS9 scenes

Just goes to show how having talented actors can elevate material

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
God damn DS9 still top tier. I get lost down DS9 Youtube rabbit holes too often these days.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Oooo, link one you've watched recently. I have not done this before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
the thing about ds9 and roddenberry's vision is that it wasn't antithetical, it's that ds9 was literally in deep space. it was a space station that was on the fringes of federation space. the values of the federation are there but so are the values of all the non-utopian powers-that-be that were closer than the federation. you're GOING to get all kinds of conflict in a situation like that.

Roddenberry would have hated it but yeah. What you see in DS9 is the ideals of the Federation clashing with reality. In TOS and often in TNG (the first two seasons primarily) you'll get some cardboard cutout stand in of a position or view and it just gets hand waved away because we solved all those problems centuries ago.

1678328878982.png

Shit like this. The dude on the left is a 20th century capitalist isn't he backwards we sure used to be stupid. Meanwhile, on DS9

and this is just filler right after the opening credits of a middle of the road episode. DS9 was trying to put forth Federation ideals in the practical instead of the ideal. A lot of Quark's character arc is the Federation successfully convincing him to not be a piece of shit.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Paramount+ and probably some others have all the series so it's easy to just nab DS9/Voyager/TNG and so on at will just like Peacock has Battlestar free and Prime currently SG-1/Atlantis/SGU. These are all my gotos when I want background noise.
Sad to see Cinemax took Strike Back off though, one free trial I will not be continueing.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
So...they got stuck in a fucking pregnant nebula.

This is as bad as SPORE DRIVE and BLACK ALERT.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They seem to be replaying some from past experiences to create this season. It was a bit hokey with the life form in space but a nice throwback and even mention to the first TNG episode Farpoint. In fact that episode kind of also combined another episode where they test a new form of warp by riding a Soliton Wave. I feel like the Borg are going to play a part in this season as it is being mentioned a lot. Wolf 359 explained the captain's reaction to Picard. I could see that. It feels more and more like Riker could take over next season.

I am still enjoying it so far. It is so much better than the first two seasons.

• 1Like