Star Trek: Picard

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
My Eskimo pal in northern Canada lives in a larger universe than this.

Jack had time to go to become a medical expert and notorious smuggler ('medicine isn't free' in a universe with replicators) while being barely 20 years old. He's quite the savant. If ships can travel to all the places he's accused of crimes of in the span of months then starships would be able to visit other galaxies. Who needs wormholes anymore, we've got warp nine point nine nine nine nine. Ships teleport on top of your head and don't even hail first. The concept of long range transmissions having latency is also out the window.

The big problem (among many problems) with this show is that it is raping the Star Trek universe lore for three seasons of memberberries and good feelz moments in a forgettable low rated show. There's no long-term franchise concern at all. They're writing this show from the hip as if the IP was intended to be shut down afterward. Romulus is blown up; Data is dead (again); Q is dead; the Borg are 'dead'; Ro's here! oh she's dead; hell fucking Picard is dead. Characters are brought back and promptly executed for the cry scene. Does Paramount want to do anything with this IP later? They're dismantling the world lore from what I can see. Even if the actors retire they could still use the characters in games, CGI, mentioned in passing, whatever but they're giving that up. All the TNG characters turned into secret agent ninjas instead of something appropriate like in the TNG finale. The excellent 180 page Star Trek TNG Technical Manual (which I own) also seems thrown out the window even though Mike Okuda works on this show.

Why the fuck is a 50 year old lady drug addict swinging pipes at a Klingon warrior? Do the Tai Chi shit if she needs to calm down. Better yet kill her instead of Ro, god. I like Ro but why is she Worf's superior? oh right, Starfleet is a matriarchy now NM

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Yes, it totally stretches the realm of possibility that a guy who lives with his mom, who is an expert in medicine, would have actually learned medicine.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
The big problem (among many problems) with this show is that it is raping the Star Trek universe lore for three seasons of memberberries and good feelz moments in a forgettable low rated show. There's no long-term franchise concern at all. They're writing this show from the hip as if the IP was intended to be shut down afterward. Romulus is blown up; Data is dead (again); Q is dead; the Borg are 'dead'; Ro's here! oh she's dead; hell fucking Picard is dead. Characters are brought back and promptly executed for the cry scene. Does Paramount want to do anything with this IP later? They're dismantling the world lore from what I can see. Even if the actors retire they could still use the characters in games, CGI, mentioned in passing, whatever but they're giving that up. All the TNG characters turned into secret agent ninjas instead of something appropriate like in the TNG finale. The excellent 180 page Star Trek TNG Technical Manual (which I own) also seems thrown out the window even though Mike Okuda works on this show.

Why the fuck is a 50 year old lady drug addict swinging pipes at a Klingon warrior? Do the Tai Chi shit if she needs to calm down. Better yet kill her instead of Ro, god. I like Ro but why is she Worf's superior? oh right, Starfleet is a matriarchy now NM
And still this season is a million times better than the hot garbage of 1 & 2, even my wife is liking it and she's watched maybe 3 star trek episodes in her life of original/next gen.

p.jpg

• 1Like

iamacynic37

FoH Honkler - HONK HONK MFr
<Banned>
Season 3 has hit stride, prior two seasons are long in the tooth and fleshing the story too much.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Watching DS9 Again, while the Borg are a great enemy, Dominion its its own kind of sinister....

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking Jack is the first of these kind of Hybrid changelings and they programed him to be a weapon.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm thinking Jack is the first of these kind of Hybrid changelings and they programed him to be a weapon.

Remember that episode of DS9 where everyone in the station is working against Chief O'Brien and we learn at the end the O'Brien we've been following around for the episode is a genetically engineered assassin duplicate thing? Would be quite the deep cut to reintroduce that. Oh hey, the Dominion scooped up that tech and this is what they came up with.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Maybe, but Beverly mentions Jack having nightmares as a kid. Unless that is a red herring, it suggests some manner of continuity between him as a kid and now in terms of the nightmareish visions.

spronk

FPS noob
what if a changeling pretended to be Picard when he and Beverly were getting it on Risa, he looked a little surprised when she mentioned thats where Jack was conceived

335969448_149910654332781_2039189109391255191_n.jpg

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So much fun fan service. A bit heavy handed w/ the parent / kid stuff at one point, but enjoyed this.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Schizo Data seems like a dangerous liability unless they could block Lore - I wonder if by the end all the personalities will merge, like that Delamain quest option in Cyberpunk

I have a feeling the old museum ships will come back into play. They mention all the current Star Fleet ships have a networking feature, which I suspect will get targeted like the Cylons did in BSG. So they’ll have to use older ships without that upgrade. If we get Worf on the Defiant, 7 on Voyager, and Picard on the Enterprise-D, the fan service will be epic

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it was interesting how they did not show the Enterprise NCC-1701-D Galaxy Class. I think that ship will come into play later. At this point it is almost a must that some ship named Enterprise makes an appearance.

• 1Like

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Ehhh, D was destroyed in Generations. Saucer separation, warp core breach on engine section, saucer crash lands on planet? Titan captain (Shaw) even made mention of it and how Picard/Riker are always playing space cowboy.

Cybsled

The show confirmed the D saucer section was recovered so I suspect they’ll just attach the saucer section to another star drive and we will see the Enterprise D again in action

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the show is just full on member-berries at this point but meh, whatever, we've seen what happens when they try their hand at "new stories" - season 1 & 2 - so fuck it, better drown in fan service than shit nobody cares about.

The Moriarty cameo was cool but super bizarre and weird. I guess thats pretty much the show at this point, cool shit for TNG fans that doesn't really make much sense. At least the show remembered that Data was LaForge's best friend, not Picards lol

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Moriarty was a projection of Data's memory. It wasn't super weird. Although I was hoping they could have worked in the real one.

Also, Geordi's daughter mentioned hanger bay 12 or some such. So, yeah, Enterprise D is there.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

So Picard has some after show where they show clips for the next episode. They show Vadic talking to that disembodied head thing again. However, pretty interesting tease given

Whatever the head thing is, it is not a Changeling and doesn’t seem to really think all that much of Changelings or their physiology, or humans for that matter. It also reaffirms the main thing it wants is Jack and he is needed before frontier day.

So the main thing we learn is this thing is more powerful than the Changelings and isn’t impressed with them. So that rules out a lot of candidates. Whatever it is, it views organic physical forms as weak.

That means it is potentially non-corporeal (pah-wraith?), artificial, or maybe something from fluidic space.

Pah-Wraith makes a little more sense than the others. They’re from DS9 also like the Changelings, it would also fit the red and murderous visions Jack has.

Still not sure why they need Picard’s body. Pah Wraiths are very vulnerable to chroniton radiation, and Borg deal with that radiation a lot, so?

• 1Like