Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

joz123

Potato del Grande
Liked this episode a lot. Kinda reminded me of the Stargate Atlantis episode where they travel to a planet covered in mist and the team is passed out the whole time but in a dream world.

spronk

FPS noob
apparently one of the cast favorite episodes to shoot this season, you can see why they all get to play fun different characters Pike was especially hilarious as the cowardly lion and Ortegas was great as Inigo Montoya

Only funny thing was how quick the Doctor was in giving up his daughter to a god-like entity he just met with no hesitation, historically in Trek going along with powerful entities you just met ends in disaster.

He never really answered the question either, "why don't you come with us" lol Sorry kid I got shit to do, being stuck in a nebula for eternity with my daughter means I got no shot with Mystique!

Cybsled

His kid was basically stuck in a transporter buffer in limbo, not able to live their life (however short it may be).

Being best friends with a godlike entity seems like an upgrade

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I have to turn subtitles on for the doctor, he seems to mumble way too quietly. Am I just losing my hearing?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was a really cool Holodeck episode without the holodeck. Everyone seemed like they were having fun playing their parts and a good time.

M’Benga isn’t usually so hard to understand but we (annoyingly) watch most things with subtitles on (not my idea). But he did sound like a bad Bale Batman gruff too low while reading the bedtime story.

We just finished season 2 of TOS and I honestly had no idea M’Benga was a doctor on the series. Was a cool surprise but makes sense. Also got a kick out of seeing a young Diana Muldaur, had no idea she was on TOS as well as TNG as Dr. Pulaski.

With regards to the ended; I really hated it. For me it almost ruined the episode and invalidated a large part of the previous episode. There was already a set up with the quantum nanobots and it gave M’Benga some motivation. I get what everyone is saying about the daughter being a potential weight and her being better off living her life with the entity. It just did work emotionally on any level for me, the way it was handled.

Was still fun and cool to see an unknown cosmic entity show up.

Cybsled

I suspect ending that plotline had a practical component: They had setup a storyline with a child that, in theory, doesn't age because they are in the transporter buffer. But seasons take time to make and kids grow up fast, so unless you wanted a "Carl" effect like in Walking Dead, so your options were either end that plotline or create some technobabble reason to explain why his daughter seems to age a year or two between seasons.

It was a neat plot line element, but I don't think they really thought it through in terms of real world considerations and probably decided later on they needed an escape from that plot element to help the suspension of disbelief

spronk

FPS noob
only 2 more episodes but then we roll into Stranger Things vol 2 and Better Call Saul

next weeks episode looks like its gonna have some Aliens (the movie) vibes

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I suspect ending that plotline had a practical component: They had setup a storyline with a child that, in theory, doesn't age because they are in the transporter buffer. But seasons take time to make and kids grow up fast, so unless you wanted a "Carl" effect like in Walking Dead, so your options were either end that plotline or create some technobabble reason to explain why his daughter seems to age a year or two between seasons.

It was a neat plot line element, but I don't think they really thought it through in terms of real world considerations and probably decided later on they needed an escape from that plot element to help the suspension of disbelief

Yeah that makes sense completely. As an ending it would have been fine later on. Had it not been on the heels of the set up of the episode. That seemed to be taking the story in one direction. Then they turn around and swoosh her off and close it out. If that makes sense.

Anyways, don't mean to drag that out. Show is great and it was a good episode.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Another enjoyable episode with the aliens vibes and the Gorn, even if they're a straight copy from aliens.

Wasn't expecting them to get rid of two of the main crew already, too bad it wasn't Dr mumble.

One episode left, wish it had more episodes this season.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
Good episode. Wouldn't be surprised if Scotty shows up in the next one.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I am ambivalent on this one...
Way too much Aliens stuff in this episode. It's one thing to be an homage, it's another to be a cheesy rip-off. They even had Sam Kirk as Hudson.
The loss of Hemmer; a great new character so soon, was just plain dumb After all, he's no Ned Stark developmentally or dramatically, so why?

Still good TV, but I think they will lose fan-base with this episode as well as lots of great downstream character and plot possibilities and potentials.

I'd like to just ignore the episode and move on. But how can you? A lot of major character shifts for an overall kind-of crappy episode.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I am ambivalent on this one...
Way too much Aliens stuff in this episode. It's one thing to be an homage, it's another to be a cheesy rip-off. They even had Sam Kirk as Hudson.
The loss of Hemmer; a great new character so soon, was just plain dumb After all, he's no Ned Stark developmentally or dramatically, so why?

Still good TV, but I think they will lose fan-base with this episode as well as lots of great downstream character and plot possibilities and potentials.

I'd like to just ignore the episode and move on. But how can you? A lot of major character shifts for an overall kind-of crappy episode.
Even though this show has its faults, it's still good and worth watching every week. Orville on the other hand started out good in the first 2 seasons and this new season has been pretty bad.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Even though this show has its faults, it's still good and worth watching every week. Orville on the other hand started out good in the first 2 seasons and this new season has been pretty bad.
I agree.

I also can't believe how each episode Jess Bush gets more attractive. She is a gem.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree.

I also can't believe how each episode Jess Bush gets more attractive. She is a gem.
Yeah I haven't even seen the show and she is insanely hot, reading the thread just for her.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah that was a real bummer they killed off Hemmar, he was a great character, actor, and had an interesting story. I'm guessing they are bringing in TOS characters, wouldn't be surprised if we see a young Scotty next season in addition to the rumored James Kirk casting. I think its a mistake, shoulda kept Hemmar on for at least another season but it also sounds like the actor will not be leaving Star Trek exactly, a bit vague but maybe a different show or a different character?

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that was a real bummer they killed off Hemmar, he was a great character, actor, and had an interesting story. I'm guessing they are bringing in TOS characters, wouldn't be surprised if we see a young Scotty next season in addition to the rumored James Kirk casting. I think its a mistake, shoulda kept Hemmar on for at least another season but it also sounds like the actor will not be leaving Star Trek exactly, a bit vague but maybe a different show or a different character?

They are on the verge of fucking shit up:

They stumbled on brilliance; finding the key elements that made Star Trek a legendary series. Great characters with undeniable chemistry and depth combined with beautiful storytelling.

Yup- they blew it with Hemmer and they can blow it by trying to recreate, when they clearly know how to CREATE. They made huge stumble #1, they should continue with their current lightning-in-a-bottle. No need to try to bring more TOS into this-- it is perfect as it is (was before that last episode's HUGE faux pas)

So, bringing in James Kirk or Scotty (or even relying on Alex fucking Kurtzman or JJ Abrams to inject stupidity into the show) will bring disaster. IMHO...

Cybsled

I'm wondering if the real reason is a bit more pragmatic: The actor didn't want to deal with the makeup requirements. That is a pretty common thing in Sci-Fi shows and a lot of actors really hate the process. You basically sit in a chair for 5-6 hours to get made up, then have to wear the makeup for extended periods of time which can sometimes come with health or well-being issues for certain people.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
and her.... <3

1656977133146.png

1656977180796.png

1656977273648.png

1656977578818.png

1656977640228.png

1656977718899.png