Star Wars: Battlefront, as told by Dice on Frostbite 3 (PS4?/XBone?/PC?)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's a lot more like cod with crappy weapon zoom. My issue is the number of maps per game mode seems really anemic. 3 team death match maps simply isn't enough.

Hard core star wars fans will buy this really regardless. I never much cared what other people are doing. I hear McDonald's sells a lot of hamburgers a well. Enjoy.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agreed, and I have to echo Mist. I wish it was more like Battlefield.
I'm ok with. It feels like a good sequel to previous battlefront games. I will leave the "Battlefield" feeling/gameplay to the battlefield series.

I'm going to wait and see how progression is and what the other modes/maps are before buying. It's very hard to judge atm. It's fun, so it has that but I need to see a bit more.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe it's not exactly battlefield but for someone that only played 20 minutes it was definitely star wars battlefield.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe it's not exactly battlefield but for someone that only played 20 minutes it was definitely star wars battlefield.
I don't know what to tell you. Because it didn't play anything like a battlefield game. You sound more like someone just spouting a company line.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It's really nothing like Battlefield. It's very arcadey.
Ya man... if you stop running for more than a couple seconds, you're toast.

Did anyone else find the spawn points a little off? I feel like they reallllly funnel players together quickly, and don't give enough time for strategic positioning.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know what to tell you. Because it didn't play anything like a battlefield game. You sound more like someone just spouting a company line.
To me it played like a mix of the last battlefield game mixed with cod. I don't know what to tell you, and I'm certainly not alone. It's not like the old battlefield games.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got a chance to play the beta on PS4 last night, and shit was solid. In terms of sales, it will do great: Beautiful visually, the audio is insane, its simplistic as fuck, arcade-ish, it's chaotic, & it's Star Wars. Honestly feels like a re-skinned Battlefront 2, definitely more like CoD than BF4.

Should be a solid couch co-op, "kill some time" game.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The biggest thing I think they should remove is the jetpack, more for fps design reasons (it trivializes huge parts of map geography unless the maps are designed with flight in mind (see Tribes)) and in an Arcade style fps without wild penalties for high speed movement while firing it is probably the most important item. When you start taking iconic Starwars battlefields (like Hoth) having all the combatants with jetpacks it really devalues the setting from my perspective. I think jetpacks in FPS are fine, I'm not sure it does the Starwars setting a service to have anyone but the Fett jetting about.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Finally got a chance to play the beta on PS4 last night, and shit was solid. In terms of sales, it will do great: Beautiful visually, the audio is insane, its simplistic as fuck, arcade-ish, it's chaotic, & it's Star Wars. Honestly feels like a re-skinned Battlefront 2, definitely more like CoD than BF4.

After getting into it deeper this weekend this would be my exact review. Depending on how well they address the current issues and their plans down the road will determine the life expectancy of the game. What it does have going for it is the visual, audio, and the IP. Those together will keep a lot of people playing at least while the Star Wars hype train is running.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
LOL they really need to fix the aimbot shit. Just had a guy go 62-10 on the ground. He would jetpack up in the air and then just spin around like a top headshotting everyone.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
All the hoth footage seems to be EXACTLY the same as Battlefront 2 hoth with better graphics....

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I am not sure the game play itself is the greatest but this is a good game to wow the relatives. My mom who is 78 was shocked at how good the graphics were and wanted to watch me play the hoth map and run around and look at stuff. It seems a competent enough game for this sort of thing and nails the starwars feel pretty hard so I think it should do fine on the market.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
All the hoth footage seems to be EXACTLY the same as Battlefront 2 hoth with better graphics....
Except without dedicated servers using peer to peer, aim bots, and some severely broken ass systems.

I tested out Cinge's orbital strike thing and it was hilarious. One shotted the first AT-AT in the first segment, second segment I one shotted the next one. Each time I had about a 1-2 Ywing timer window because our team sucked. I cannot imagine the butt hurt on the Imp side after that happened. Have a ton of guys going 70-1 and they probably only die because they kill themselves (due to aim bots) and when I can kill someone 3 miles away from me with my blaster and they are hardly even a dot on my screen? I should either be the next Luke Skywalker or it's ridiculously broken. Let's go with the latter.

The map layout on Hoth is broken and wasn't designed with jet packs in mind (Echoing Dandain) but at the same time when you can get sniped from 4 miles away I guess that's the equalizer? Good God. And also echoing Mist on the spawn system - it is a joke. Especially after the first segment. Everyone spawns in the same area (By the rock area) unless somehow they land in a squad which seems to be pure chance at this point and gives an ability to partner spawn. And they all spawn in mass so it's hilarious.

The damage you can do to the walkers is ridiculously lop sided. With turret placements, ion grenades, the ion card for the blaster, damage is minimal unless you can hold both objectives and/or get at least 6 YWing strikes. Yet in the same breath as long as my team even has one Ywing, all I need is one orbital strike and it doesn't matter how long we held the objectives. So all I did was run around the map and find an orbital strike - once I found one, I just hid and then pow - bye bye AT-AT. This renders holding the objectives completely meaningless as long as we get one Ywing out of the deal which isn't that hard to do. And maybe I was lucky for the three matches I did this in, but Orbital strikes were not hard to come by while jet packing across the map segments looking for them and not caring about the objectives or killing imperials.

And this is just this one play mode and this particular map. 5 weeks out from launch, and we haven't even seen the rest of the game modes/maps which are probably just as broken from a game play aspect. (I do not have any faith in Dice/EA to pull off any changes in the near term either)

Hilariously broken. I may just have to buy it on sale to exploit the horrible design and have a few good laughs at how these designers have jobs.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Oh Utnayan, I'm sure you'll "lose a bet" and be forced to play it.
Ha! Nah. I saw enough out of the beta. I still need to finish Witcher 3, the new DLC for that, Phantom Pain, Arkham Knight, and then Fallout 4.

By the time I am done with those it should be about 10 bucks by then. I can't wait to read about it all in the thread here though.