Star Wars: Battlefront, as told by Dice on Frostbite 3 (PS4?/XBone?/PC?)

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The people saying maps are easy to build in 2015 on modern game engines make me laugh.

Just because you made some Doom/Quake/Half Life levels in the 90s doesn't mean that we're talking about anything similar today.

Skyrim is so moddable because the content within the world is built with extremely simple geometry.
They aren't rocket science. Like Noodle mentioned one post above you: Counter Strike is still a thriving game with more players than COD and Battlefield and the creation of maps is not only encouraged, every few months Steam puts 8-10 online for free and everyone can play the new (and frankly, fantastically designed) player maps, that carry EXTRA items people can sell, instead of being charged for maps.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
And I realize these maps are way more complicated, but there are people out there that will make it their 2nd job to create free maps - I guarantee that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The people saying maps are easy to build in 2015 on modern game engines make me laugh.

Just because you made some Doom/Quake/Half Life levels in the 90s doesn't mean that we're talking about anything similar today.

Skyrim is so moddable because the content within the world is built with extremely simple geometry.
I've seen people make more complex maps in starcraft than what is in BF4.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And I realize these maps are way more complicated, but there are people out there that will make it their 2nd job to create free maps - I guarantee that.
I think you'd have more fun if we squaded together and shit on noobs with our jetpacks bro.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Maybe I'm a dying breed but I've never purchased a DLC

I just play whatever the game gives me
I generally don't buy DLC. Witcher 3 is one of the only ones I bought and I'll likely only play that again in a year when it is all out.

I bought the COD DLC for advanced warfare and regret it since I don't play it anymore and I think I might of played the first set of new maps for a few days.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Every time I've bought a season pass I have never ended up playing it because I've moved on to other games by the time the DLC releases so i don't buy DLC anymore.

Nintendo seems to be the only company that doesn't gouge their customers by holding back on content selling it as DLC. 99% of their games are overloaded with content.

Edit: I guess the same could be said of From Software too because people have had to beg them for DLC to be released.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty anti DLC for all the reasons people have mentioned but I've bought all the premium's for the battlefield and got my money's worth since I played the shit out of them. For the most part they are well timed to breathe some new life into the game when it's starting to eb for me. I skipped Hardline tough, just like I skipped paying full price for it, instead grabbing it during a sale and via Brazil. Wouldn't mind picking up the DLC's for that now, but not at full price.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I was on the fence on this game, then the beta came out and I did not really like it (I got owned a lot as never FPS'd without KB/M) then I played it more, turned into Darth Vader, cut down some noobs with furious anger, and suicided with many an xwing into many an AT-AT.

This is now a day one buy.

If you are shocked about a seasons pass and DLC, I must ask what rock you have been living under for the last 3 years.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't like Vader compared to Luke. Both the charge and force push could take out multiple enemies, with the former being a huge boon to mobility.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
If you are shocked about a seasons pass and DLC, I must ask what rock you have been living under for the last 3 years.
No one is shocked. We are tired of the nickle and diming and paying $109 for a $59.99 game.

So what will happen is people won't, and the schmucks abusing the consumer will come to the conclusion the IP is in "Fatigue". That's my favorite new term in the industry. IP-Fatigue. Caused by yearly releases with limited advancements and paying $59.99 for the same game with 12 new maps. IP Fatigue - Created by the publisher when they annualize a low cost development model to make the most out of a hot product and then bury it into the ground in the course of the next 4-5 years.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Some people will pay the $109 for sure, then they'll lower the price later on. That's how shit works now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yep you buy the game of the year super ultra definite prepare to die edition later on for $20 that includes all the dlc

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yep you buy the game of the year super ultra definite prepare to die edition later on for $20 that includes all the dlc
Yup. I wait atleasta year now before buying any "major" game release. The DLC train is getting bad enough that I've even started to wait on quite a few "secondary" titles.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yup. I wait atleasta year now before buying any "major" game release. The DLC train is getting bad enough that I've even started to wait on quite a few "secondary" titles.
A year...jeez. Maybe 6 months tops for me, or whenever the 1st major sale/price drop happens.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, i don't really get the angst/hate. there are whales who buy $10k of shit in candy crush, there are losers who pay titty twitchers $10k in donations, and there are fanbois who pay $150 for a han solo fridge and game. since we all get the same game, can't really care that much.

best consumer strat is to buy console (or hola pc) version at launch, play until bored, trade in (console), and then rebuy digitally 6-12 months later the GOTY version with all DLCs for $20. Since its EA you get even more options, like discounts with EA Access, 24 hour refund policy on PC origin, etc.

i'm more disappointed in how pedestrian and bland this Battlefront is. Its not a terrible game, but its not really GOTY or anything like that. I know most of us expected it just to be a BF4 reskin, but I guess I was hoping they were secretly working on this for 2+ years and had an amazing SP campaign and the multiplayer had more options. I can't really blame them, they needed to hit the movie release date, and at least the game seems functional and good from a technical standpoint. just not something you see yourself playing 6 months later. so I can definitely see Ut's angst about that, the fact that this kind of game only comes around once every 10 years and they wasted this one.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i don't really get the angst/hate. there are whales who buy $10k of shit in candy crush, there are losers who pay titty twitchers $10k in donations, and there are fanbois who pay $150 for a han solo fridge and game. since we all get the same game, can't really care that much.

best consumer strat is to buy console (or hola pc) version at launch, play until bored, trade in (console), and then rebuy digitally 6-12 months later the GOTY version with all DLCs for $20. Since its EA you get even more options, like discounts with EA Access, 24 hour refund policy on PC origin, etc.

i'm more disappointed in how pedestrian and bland this Battlefront is. Its not a terrible game, but its not really GOTY or anything like that. I know most of us expected it just to be a BF4 reskin, but I guess I was hoping they were secretly working on this for 2+ years and had an amazing SP campaign and the multiplayer had more options. I can't really blame them, they needed to hit the movie release date, and at least the game seems functional and good from a technical standpoint. just not something you see yourself playing 6 months later. so I can definitely see Ut's angst about that, the fact that this kind of game only comes around once every 10 years and they wasted this one.
Not really. They will make 2 more movies, and there has never been a rule that there cant be awesome Star Wars games if the movies arent hitting theaters.

They can learn from this offering and maybe offer something more substantial in a year or two. Not just new maps but perhaps a real campaign and a more robust class system and or physics.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

Blatant pandering to geeks of a certain age...

And extremely effective it was too.

Column_sl

shitlord
That's great and all ,but I would not buy this on the consoles if you have a decent PC with a nice monitor.

Tested both versions, and the PC version is a lot better in the visual/frame rate department.