Star Wars: Battlefront, as told by Dice on Frostbite 3 (PS4?/XBone?/PC?)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
PS4: Master Race.

I buy everything for my PS4 now and I have a high powered PC too. My reasoning is it is the obvious couch/controller/awesome sound/display and not having to jury rig my PC to do that and/or move it around from my office to the theater, and also it seems more and more PC ports are scaled down to least common denominator development anyway, so I am not missing much. Mods? Looks like they are slowly breaking that barrier down as well.

Now I use my PC to play drunken worms, Hearthstone, and drunken other indie shenanigan games. And I do not need to upgrade to a $300-400 video card every 2 years.
I got it for my ps4 mainly so I could have a good lay back on the couch while blowing shit up game. Sometimes I want to be right in the mix and for that I am on my PC but sometimes I just want to mess around and relax and for that a game as casual as starwars battlefront works great on the console.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I saw that. How does Steam Link actually pan out though. I have very fast wireless, obviously though I would want to run a network cable to it, and they are on opposite ends of the floor. Also, sound translates to just stereo correct?

Edit: Just checked. No surround. So that automatically defeats itself. I would rather take the marginal graphical fidelity hit than take the sound hit and revert back to stereo. (If that?) I suppose it would be good to play some of my steam library but didn't care about the overall sound experience. Like say, Xcom or Divinty.

Edit 2: Meh. It's only 50 bucks. It may be fun to play with regardless.
I love mine and it's good enough for me to kick your ass in Worms.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Worms and Chivalry sound like a lot of fun right now. We need a Chivalry RR tournament.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I've never played a Battlefront game. My deepest foray into FPS games has been Destiny. Is this worth picking up?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Not until you see it for $4.99 but it's marked as a different game so you aren't giving any money to EA
smile.png
I wasn't that lucky.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Jesus is it really that bad? The reviews seemed pretty positive.

Keep in mind I'm not some kind of FPS prodigy. I just want something besides Destiny to sit and play while I drink bourbon this Christmas.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Dude, even the most virulent anti-Destiny trolls are prolly cringing that you'd compare this game to Destiny. It's that bad.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Okay, next question. What's a better AAA title I can buy to play drunk this Christmas instead?

spronk

FPS noob
its not that bad, but Battlefront gets boring fast. the best stuff is unlocked behind like rank 25 and higher so you will spend 40+ hours grinding for 1 or 2 items and then there's nothing left to get except stupid emotes. If you are a HUGE star wars nerd though - like you know the name of the robot that fails when Uncle Owen and Luke are shopping - then you may enjoy it. I play 5-6 hours a week and like it. If you've seen TFA twice already you would probably want to play battlefront. Its also on sale today (last day) on PSN/XBL for $40 digital, or amazon/best buy/gamestop for $40 as well for disc/PC.

assassins creed syndicate, tomb raider, or just cause 3 are fun games to play drunk. call of duty black ops 3 isn't bad either, although not sure its different enough from destiny to be interesting.

Sulrn

Deuces
Jesus is it really that bad? The reviews seemed pretty positive.

Keep in mind I'm not some kind of FPS prodigy. I just want something besides Destiny to sit and play while I drink bourbon this Christmas.
It's a game that's pretty to look at and listen to for a few hours, but beyond that it's a shallow and obvious cash grab. You'll most likely enjoy yourself for a few hours then realize that there's nothing you can improve at because the skill ceiling is so low. Which is okay because its OMG Star Wars. Then you start realizing there isn't a lot really going on to encourage that feeling long term. It's a popcorn shooter that's a test fire for the second installment before you even get the entirety of a season pass to expand on the game.

That's not even going into balancing issues.

If you want a AAA shooter for the holidays buy BF4 cheap and reap the rewards of multiple years of bug fixing, balancing, mode redesigns, and map releases.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
It's a fun game, that be said its not very deep. You can easily get $30 value out of it running around blasting chumps and flying a flat round spaceship.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was thinking that once the Force Awakens came out that they would roll out some substantial DLC for this that incorporated the First Order and scenes from the movie... Apparently that is not the case. Mobile games seem to be the only ones really harnessing the new IP

spronk

FPS noob
yeah sadly dice confirmed this week all the DLCs for battlefront will be confined to episodes 4-6, at least it won't bring in shit from prequels. I'd imagine EA and Disney want to tightly control TFA tie ins to new games and probably Battlefront 4
No Opinion | PCMag.com

meanwhile a ton of xmas newbies are in battlefront starting today, online users has jumped dramatically
Battlefront Stats
PC: 26,619 (24h peak: 26,619)
XBOXONE: 136,545 (24h peak: 136,545)
PS4: 190,796 (24h peak: 190,796)
Total: 353,960

Double XP is also on this entire weekend, its pretty fun playing Blast and destroying people who are just standing there staring at the vistas or trying to figure out how to aim

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
yeah sadly dice confirmed this week all the DLCs for battlefront will be confined to episodes 4-6, at least it won't bring in shit from prequels. I'd imagine EA and Disney want to tightly control TFA tie ins to new games and probably Battlefront 4
No Opinion | PCMag.com

meanwhile a ton of xmas newbies are in battlefront starting today, online users has jumped dramatically
Battlefront Stats
PC: 26,619 (24h peak: 26,619)
XBOXONE: 136,545 (24h peak: 136,545)
PS4: 190,796 (24h peak: 190,796)
Total: 353,960

Double XP is also on this entire weekend, its pretty fun playing Blast and destroying people who are just standing there staring at the vistas or trying to figure out how to aim
So much for the game wouldn't sell at $39, plummeting sales charts, etc, etc. bullshit. Just goes to show that no matter how much you hate a game you can't will it to failure. Clicking your heels three times and saying "fuck EA" doesn't make it so. Let's see some of those BF4 vs SWBF stat comparisions now.

You were proven wrong. Go viral somewhere else. Back to SA with you Jedi.
Oops. Looks like you got that backwards.