Star Wars Battlefront II

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Oops. Sorry for wrong time stamp.

Sounds pretty damn shady.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm hyped, i really am in the mood for a short 6-8 hour campaign story game after a bunch of 50+ hour SP games and I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Went from a wanted to buy, to no way. EA can shove their MT system up their ass along with WB.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I do like that this is portraying the Empire side of things post-ROTJ. Part of me wishes that the prequels had done more to play up how truly awful the corruption of the Old Republic had been and the ways in which a strong Imperial government seemed like a win-win situation for many.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This, combined with loot boxes.... Yeah I would suggest waiting.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-campaign-impressions-unima/1100-6454163/

And a chance the entire single player campaign is educating you on how to buy star cards in loot boxes lol :)

Never stop EA.

That's true, I guess in that respect it could help prepare you for multiplayer in a more tangible way than just helping you get used to the guns. But at least some part of me was a little wary of whether microtransactions will now start having an impact on single player games as well as multiplayer.

And whether or not you use them will likely depend on what kind of player you are--I actually stuck with the same three abilities that I started out with, but if you're someone who likes to tinker you'll likely get a lot of depth out of playing levels in different ways with different cards.

• 1Salty

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also, the lolworthy part, is the facial animations look pretty good here, and it's the same engine as mAss Effect: Andropoopeda? (see what I did there?)

• 1Worf

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Actually that article made me care less about loot boxes. I had planned on playing the single-player first anyway, and the fact that you can unlock many of the Star Cards through single-player is pretty cool. Between that and the fact they've already come out and stated that the best Star Cards will only be attainable through actual play makes the loot box situation less egregious IMO.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Actually that article made me care less about loot boxes. I had planned on playing the single-player first anyway, and the fact that you can unlock many of the Star Cards through single-player is pretty cool. Between that and the fact they've already come out and stated that the best Star Cards will only be attainable through actual play makes the loot box situation less egregious IMO.

So star cards are not in loot boxes? And loot boxes are not random any longer? And take a long time to get while playing? Honest question here because all the complaints in the press are of over powered cards that are random from loot boxes, loot boxes are rare, and if you pay, you can have as many as you want so the discussion went to balance from EA, when what it sounds like is they need to overhaul the system entirely.

With that said, I didnt play it much because I kept getting my ass kicked and just didn’t know why I was getting my ass kicked.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
EA said people's fears are "understandable," at the same time as calling the accusations "hard to dodge."

They then go on to say that they are listening to customer feedback and it will be an "ongoing" balancing process...

So...

I have zero faith in EA. As should anyone, to not think they are going to exploit the shit out of this for a couple weeks to see how much initial cash they can rake in on MT's and then "Balance" it later through a patch. I'll wait to see what you people say that jump the grenade on this, but as of right now, it will be a rental from gamefly at some point to see if the single player is any good.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah, this one is a hard pass. We will see where it's at in 6 months. If it's still going strong I'll try it at a reduced rate, if it's dead I'll know I made the right choice. Regardless it's a win-win.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So star cards are not in loot boxes? And loot boxes are not random any longer? And take a long time to get while playing? Honest question here because all the complaints in the press are of over powered cards that are random from loot boxes, loot boxes are rare, and if you pay, you can have as many as you want so the discussion went to balance from EA, when what it sounds like is they need to overhaul the system entirely.

With that said, I didnt play it much because I kept getting my ass kicked and just didn’t know why I was getting my ass kicked.

Here's everything that I've learned about Star Cards and loot boxes since the beta:

1)Star Cards are in loot boxes.
2)The contents of loot boxes are random.
3) Loot boxes aren't rare, you earn them through challenges, daily log in, or buying with currency you earn in matches.
4)Any duplicate items from lockboxes turn into crafting parts so you can upgrade or buy specific cards.
5) You earn cards through both singleplayer and multiplayer challenges.
6) The best cards are only attainable through playing the game.

Past that, I have no clue what they are doing or have changed since beta, but as long as someone can't spend their way to top and has to actually play to get the best stuff I'm not nearly as concerned as I would be otherwise.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

That's actually a pretty good read, and sounds like a trainwreck aptly describes the entire situation.

A couple quotes from some developers working on the game:
“Honestly, it was a mercy killing,” said one former Visceral employee. “It had nothing to do with whether it was gonna be single player. I don’t think it had anything to do with that. That game never could’ve been good and come out.”

“I think EA gave us too much leeway,” said one. “If anything, EA should’ve probably canceled this project earlier. I think Söderlund and them were too nice, gave us too many opportunities.”

Plus lots of talk about Hennig bumping heads with people on the team, flashbacks of Uncharted 4, and it's clear that this was never going to be a good game...what a bummer.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was surprised at the flattened structure at an EA place. Everyone I've know that has worked there talked about floods of useless management. Like a manager for every 2 or 3 people that actually work.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I dunno. I'm thinking that places like Deep Silver, Spiders, Stardock, they finally have a shot at becoming AAA developers now, instead of single A developers. The big companies sold their souls to the mighty infamous buck. It's either that or we'll start to realize that bigger isn't always better.

Or we won't. And with this current generation, I'm not holding out much hope for that. Cue the "Oh, I'm sorry that a company wants to make a profit" whiners.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I dunno. I'm thinking that places like Deep Silver, Spiders, Stardock, they finally have a shot at becoming AAA developers now, instead of single A developers. The big companies sold their souls to the mighty infamous buck. It's either that or we'll start to realize that bigger isn't always better.

Or we won't. And with this current generation, I'm not holding out much hope for that. Cue the "Oh, I'm sorry that a company wants to make a profit" whiners.

AAA is a trap, you end up spending so much money on textures, audio, etc to make that stunning Last of Us style visuals but not a ton more people buy your game. Best is to just keep cranking games out as smaller studios, paying the bills and hoping for the breakout successes like Stardew Valley, Divinity Original Sin, PUBG, etc all of which are done on very small budgets and are completely known for gameplay, repetitive skinner box loot-games, word of mouth and quality of game, not for visuals or voice work or long video cutscenes which are expensive as hell to make.

Sadly as someone who pretty much only plays AAA games it sucks for me, I can see the future and its very few games in this space, just a few annual franchises cranked out every year or two. But I also love stuff like PUBG and Nintendo games so its all good.