Star Wars Battlefront II

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So, we’re reducing the amount of credits needed to unlock the top heroes by 75%. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader will now be available for 15,000 credits; Emperor Palpatine, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa for 10,000 credits; and Iden at 5,000 credits. Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Gamespot trashed it so far. 6/10. It goes into more than just the hero grind which they just corrected, but touched on a covoluted and confusing menu system, and the frustration of loot crates and randomized system ends up leveling up classes you never even play. So it just takes more and more time for those as well.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/star-wars-battlefront-ii-review-in-progress/1900-6416810/

Due to the randomness, and the inherent dependence on the loot crates, progression is often dictated by what these results are. This can steer you away from classes you'd prefer to use, and more annoying results in receiving cards for hero characters you have yet to unlock. With how progression is structured, simply spending time with the Heavy or Assault classes does not guarantee more loot for them, as advancing them is all tied to the luck of the draw. This is especially frustrating when you invest so much time in the game--coming across others online who've had better luck or purchased pre-orders copies to acquire epic cards for their characters--only to see your favorite classes fall by the wayside due to the overall systems working against your favor.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This, unfortunately, highlights the main problem. You don't care if it's wrong. At some point, ethics and morality have to win out but if you fundamentally don't give a shit then we are going to see more and more and more of this type of monetization. Where does it end? What's the line for you?

Listen, I agree with you about mtx being a rabbit hole designed to nickel and dime the consumer, but there's nothing morally or ethically wrong with it. Those are high horse terms to hyperbolize your rhetoric.

You can disagree with his opinion and apathy, but if the enjoyment he gets is more than the frustration he feels, then why should he boycott it? He's only as much of the problem as knee-jerk, over-the-top reactionaries are.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Listen, I agree with you about mtx being a rabbit hole designed to nickel and dime the consumer, but there's nothing morally or ethically wrong with it. Those are high horse terms to hyperbolize your rhetoric.

You can disagree with his opinion and apathy, but if the enjoyment he gets is more than the frustration he feels, then why should he boycott it? He's only as much of the problem as knee-jerk, over-the-top reactionaries are.

Are you seriously retarded? I'm asking, because I wanna know? Are you seriously that mentally deficient, that you can stand up for 5% of gamers making them millions upon millions of dollars, and say that there is "nothing morally or ethically wrong with it"? I guess you're part of the 1%.

Fuck, I knew money made people stupid, but retarded too?

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
get yer free PSN battlefront 2 avatars at live.playstation.com
game officially launches in 4 hours in NA but only if you pre ordered deluxe edition, normie plebs have to wait until friday. Don't think of it as $10 extra for early access, think of it as a $10 headstart DLC

• 1Worf

j00t

Are you seriously retarded? I'm asking, because I wanna know? Are you seriously that mentally deficient, that you can stand up for 5% of gamers making them millions upon millions of dollars, and say that there is "nothing morally or ethically wrong with it"? I guess you're part of the 1%.

Fuck, I knew money made people stupid, but retarded too?

Let me remind you that I said I don't like the system any more than you do. The difference is that I'm not comparing mtx to moral or ethical behavior. It's not. It's capitalistic behavior. It would be immoral and unethical if they didn't tell you it cost money until the bill was due. It would be unethical if the game was incompletable without spending money AFTER already buying the box.

None of those are actually happening.

Its a lot like calling someone Hitler. You are comparing someone to the pinnacle of what most consider evil. It's generally untrue and shoots your argument in the foot.

Also, calm down, bro

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Let me remind you that I said I don't like the system any more than you do. The difference is that I'm not comparing mtx to moral or ethical behavior. It's not. It's capitalistic behavior. It would be immoral and unethical if they didn't tell you it cost money until the bill was due. It would be unethical if the game was incompletable without spending money AFTER already buying the box.

Its a lot like calling someone Hitler. You are comparing someone to the pinnacle of what most consider evil. It's generally untrue and shoots your argument in the foot.

Also, calm down, bro

Capitalism doesn’t excuse unethical capitalism. In this case, micro transactions for cosmetic non game balance fun? Ethical. Artificially stalling progress over three areas of multiplayer to entice you to buy? Unethical.

• 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Also, calm down, bro

No, if your "capitalistic behavior rules all" theory applied everywhere, there'd be wealthy people by a far margin more than there are now in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. There are laws that regulate them. They play games, too.

Capitalism doesn't rule this country, law does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The fact that they can just blanket reduce the cost of something by 75% tells you how criminally overpriced it was in the first place. Congrats though, now will only take you 10 hours of grinding in your game you paid $60 or more for until you can play as Luke or Darth or some other character.

• 2Like

j00t

I feel like you guys are misinterpreting the term ethical. What they are doing isn't unethical, just shitty. There's a difference. If what they were doing was unethical they'd have been sued and lost already.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like you guys are misinterpreting the term ethical. What they are doing isn't unethical, just shitty. There's a difference. If what they were doing was unethical they'd have been sued and lost already.
Based on research into human psychology and gambling, it actually is unethical too. But it's especially shitty.

There's been a number of articles written up in the wake of loot boxes this year about game finances, from the development and sustaining standpoint, and the general prognosis is gambling-style loot boxes, especially for non-cosmetic content, are wholly unneeded.

This is all short term greed hatting anyway, because the more outlandishly abusive and evil the companies get *cough* EA *cough* the more people are going to actually demand some kind of action. If all the companies quietly did mild cosmetic stuff like Overwatch (which maintains a very large cash flow as is) it could have been a lot longer before public ire was really brought to the forefront. Now we have companies pushing the boundaries of actual ethical behavior in the name of a few bucks and it will, I hope, massively backfire as actual regulation gets introduced. UK is already doing it in response to developments this year, I'd be willing to bet the EU in general is not far behind. China would if it weren't for the fact that so many of the loot boxes (PUBG, CS:GO) are cash gains for their country, if that shifts they'll curtail it too. USA is... USA, god only knows when or if any particular state or administration will address it, obviously Trumpistan won't because I'm sure he and Mitch think video games are Atari things still. All it takes is a few states to introduce laws though and it will massively affect the outcome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ladro

Anomaly
Just so we are clear...

Ethics: “moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.”
Morality: “principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.”

In this case, charging people for content that is artificially inflated to create a psychological desire to short cut it wth cash or to trigger the gamblers addiction and keep them paying is morally wrong and thus unethical.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The day we have to actually define this in a discussion is a day we have already lost.

• 2Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The fact that they can just blanket reduce the cost of something by 75% tells you how criminally overpriced it was in the first place. Congrats though, now will only take you 10 hours of grinding in your game you paid $60 or more for until you can play as Luke or Darth or some other character.

The rates were too high, they lowered it. At these new rates you can unlock Vader in an hour and all 6 of them in a couple of days.

It's never been 40 hours to unlock a character. Repeating bullshit doesn't make it any less bullshit.

• 1Salty

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The rates were too high, they lowered it. At these new rates you can unlock Vader in an hour and all 6 of them in a couple of days.

It's never been 40 hours to unlock a character. Repeating bullshit doesn't make it any less bullshit.
Apparently for completing the campaign you used to get 20k, now you get 5k. So rewards scaled back to match the new cost!

• 1Like