Star Wars Battlefront II

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Stormtroopers in the movies clearly didn't pay for the micro transactions.

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Paying for things outside the base price is shitty model across the board. For some reason people like to pick and choose which games offend them based off of nothing, really.

Someone will complain about BF2 and then run out and buy SoW. Someone else will bitch about AC and play Overwatch. Sure, these games all have different systems, but if you think buying one of them makes you less culpuble than buying the other you're delusional.

It's all arbitrary lines in the sand and those lines are constantly moving based on how interested you were in the product to begin with. A lot of the people feigning moral outrage at this game probably have half a dozen games that were the building blocks of this shit being possible in the first place. Cosmetic only isn't a defense, doesn't effect gameplay isn't a defense, it's all the same shit designed to get a portion of the people who buy a game to waste money on things they used to get for free.

And this is why i no longer give a fuck. Because even the people who are outraged are contributing to the problem and you couldn't get a group of gamers to agree on much of anything, much less where to draw the line in the sand.

• 2Picard
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I really wish they would crackdown on the gambling aspect of the loot-boxes in all games. I thought there were laws about this targeting kids?

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Paying for things outside the base price is shitty model across the board. For some reason people like to pick and choose which games offend them based off of nothing, really.

Someone will complain about BF2 and then run out and buy SoW. Someone else will bitch about AC and play Overwatch. Sure, these games all have different systems, but if you think buying one of them makes you less culpuble than buying the other you're delusional.

It's all arbitrary lines in the sand and those lines are constantly moving based on how interested you were in the product to begin with. A lot of the people feigning moral outrage at this game probably have half a dozen games that were the building blocks of this shit being possible in the first place. Cosmetic only isn't a defense, doesn't effect gameplay isn't a defense, it's all the same shit designed to get a portion of the people who buy a game to waste money on things they used to get for free.

And this is why i no longer give a fuck. Because even the people who are outraged are contributing to the problem and you couldn't get a group of gamers to agree on much of anything, much less where to draw the line in the sand.

Well, I think this is the first time (Correct me if I am wrong here but I cannot think of any) where multiplayer games have been effected with paid for / pay to win / pay to advance faster items in the competitive aspect. The rest was single player and cosmetic. Pretty sure even WW2 was just all cosmetic items (Not sure haven't been following it) But when you take the totality of the circumstances with everything that has happened here, maybe it was finally enough to get everyone to flip their lid.

For me, I get pissed at SoW and AC:Origins just as much. Rental for Origins. And that was just a shitty game anyway from a story perspective and I rented it. (Still seeing if I can even bring myself to trudge through it) With Skyrim PSVR coming Friday my guess is I will be completely absorbed in that for the next decade lol :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also, lol.

srgXhfVl.png

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm okay with cosmetic items within reason. Day one cosmetic dlc is not okay, but something like overwatch or swtor where the game is still actively updated regularly, the cosmetic items can justify continued server cost, I'm not bothered by at all.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well, Rocket League was free for me on launch day on the PS4 via PS Plus. I legit felt so bad I didn't pony up any cash for it with how much time I play it, I have bought some of their cosmetics, and also bought the PC version as well. They also keep the game fresh with new modes, new maps, all of that is free. Rocket League is a game that does it 100% right in every way. So was CDPR. All those missions and outfits and such were free. By the boatloads. And when they came out with DLC, both were epic in length and pretty much full games in their own right.

I do not mind about cosmetics in Overwatch.

I guess the line for me is when the Microtransactions have a direct play in the actual game development and launch of the title with direct influence. As is the case with SoW (To a minor extend) to Battlefront 2 (To a major extend and reaching into multiplayer)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Does it really matter how many down votes it gets when people buy the game anyway? :) Hopefully every down vote is someone also cancelling their order.
Fucking NERDS eat this garbage feast no matter what.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Yep. Completely fine with it for cosmetics. Rocket league comes to mind on how it’s done right, and there is PLENTY of money made there.

Same with OW. I didn't have to unlock Winston ffs.

• 1Solidarity

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've always found it a bit shitty when developers double or triple dip into price models. When I'm paying full RRP for a game I kind of want it to be a full feature experience, cosmetics and all. If they're committed to constantly developing and broadening a game (MMORPGs for example) then I'm fine with paying a monthly sub on top of the initial purchase cost.

Games like Overwatch are partly to blame for this. They claim that it's just cosmetics, but it still feels like you're losing out on content in a game that you've put money into.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The difference really is just intent. In a game like rocket league or Witcher, they are creating more content (cosmetic or otherwise) based on the community wanting more.

Shadow of war and bf are doing it to nickel and dime you

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've always found it a bit shitty when developers double or triple dip into price models. When I'm paying full RRP for a game I kind of want it to be a full feature experience, cosmetics and all. If they're committed to constantly developing and broadening a game (MMORPGs for example) then I'm fine with paying a monthly sub on top of the initial purchase cost.

Games like Overwatch are partly to blame for this. They claim that it's just cosmetics, but it still feels like you're losing out on content in a game that you've put money into.
Oh please get out with this shit. You can easily grind out appearances in overwatch. Not only that but it's an incentive to keep playing. If the game came with all appearances for free I guarantee people wouldn't still be playing. I think overwatch is in the acceptable category.

A game like battlefront 2 is absolute horse shit

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I really wish they would crackdown on the gambling aspect of the loot-boxes in all games. I thought there were laws about this targeting kids?

What pisses me off far more than this shit in gaming is that this stuff is far more prevelant in childrens toys. There are probably a thousand different "random toy" things that are basically physical loot boxes these days. Go down any toy isle and it's littered with this garbage, aimed at small children. My sister is constantly her kids about it.

Well, I think this is the first time (Correct me if I am wrong here but I cannot think of any) where multiplayer games have been effected with paid for / pay to win / pay to advance faster items in the competitive aspect. The rest was single player and cosmetic. Pretty sure even WW2 was just all cosmetic items (Not sure haven't been following it) But when you take the totality of the circumstances with everything that has happened here, maybe it was finally enough to get everyone to flip their lid.

For me, I get pissed at SoW and AC:Origins just as much. Rental for Origins. And that was just a shitty game anyway from a story perspective and I rented it. (Still seeing if I can even bring myself to trudge through it) With Skyrim PSVR coming Friday my guess is I will be completely absorbed in that for the next decade lol :)

Battlefield had progression pack that let you skip ahead, weapons you could buy. Even Destiny 2 has items you can buy that you'd normally have to play to earn. It's not the best stuff in the game, but it's still skipping progression.

And I get people are fed up with this stuff but at the same time this didn't just happen. It's been baby steps for years and gamers have continually moved their goalposts to the point that this is the reality.

I'm okay with cosmetic items within reason. Day one cosmetic dlc is not okay, but something like overwatch or swtor where the game is still actively updated regularly, the cosmetic items can justify continued server cost, I'm not bothered by at all.

It doesn't bother you that any time a new skin is dropped in Overwatch people go nuts and spend tons of money to buy an outfit? It's no less predatory, it's just aimed at a different gamer. I never cared enough to buy any skin I didn't earn through playing, but to some people the way their characters looks is more important than 5% extra damage or an upgraded weapon in another game. Fashion Souls is a thing for a reason. Blizzard is just exploiting people that aren't you, so it's ok. Fuck, I'd love to have a buch of skins that I haven't managed to get,

That's what I'm talking about, you're not going to get two gamers, with different priorities on what in their games is important, to agree, much less gamers as a whole. I mentioned SoW before. Some people think streching out the last act and hiding the true ending behind that slog so that people will open their wallets is ok. To me, that's every bit as egregious as anything in BF2 because the story in a singleplayer game is important to me.

The ideal solution who have been to nip this shit in the bud before it got traction, but we're way past that, and the fact that people pick and choose which games they care have predatory practices and which ones they'll be upset about justs means that it's probably not going anywhere.

• 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Oh please get out with this shit. You can easily grind out appearances in overwatch. Not only that but it's an incentive to keep playing. If the game came with all appearances for free I guarantee people wouldn't still be playing. I think overwatch is in the acceptable category.

A game like battlefront 2 is absolute horse shit

Now you're just being stupid. You can literally switch out Overwatch and Battlefront in your post and it holds the same weight.

• 3Picard

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Games like dota 2, overwatch and POE are perfect examples of how to do it right. All free or cheap, and only cosmetics (ok you do need to spend like 5 bucks for stash tabs in poe but still, it's a free game).

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Games like dota 2, overwatch and POE are perfect examples of how to do it right. All free or cheap, and only cosmetics (ok you do need to spend like 5 bucks for stash tabs in poe but still, it's a free game).

Overwatch is a full priced game.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If anything, people should be pissed at Overwatch for a complete lack of content to actually play and still being charged full price for it. And honestly, from a financial perspective, Kaplan knew he needed to recoup lost investment and tons of financial dollars on Titan or risk being ostracized. What was far worse then the cosmetic loot boxes here, was how this turned a completely failed product into a successful experiment. Over a Billion in revenue.... Which would have been fine, had it came with actual content on launch.

With that said, they were completely transparent on what would be in the game at launch as well. So there is that I guess...