Star Wars Battlefront II

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I had to turn off my network proxy on my PS4. If you guys haven't tried it, and you have a linux box at home that can run Squid, you can increase your PS4 download speed significantly by using a HTTP proxy.

Anyways. Turned that off and I can play. It's floaty bullshit shooting just like the first one. Not quite as bad as the first one, but still bad. Hard no.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It's really bad. I think the job of any shooter is to have good gunplay and movement, and when you do die you feel it was fair / your fault and you learn from the experience. If dying feels like bullshit 99% of the time you've failed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Ugh tried the starfighters. Totally incompatible with a flight stick. You can't even see the mappings, and the throttle control won't map to a stick's throttle analog. The turning / rolling stuff is all whacked out as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did they get rid of the jetpacks?

Oh they're for the special troopers only.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ugh tried the starfighters. Totally incompatible with a flight stick. You can't even see the mappings, and the throttle control won't map to a stick's throttle analog. The turning / rolling stuff is all whacked out as well.

I'm hoping it's just beta quirks. I couldn't get my controller to work right either

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The Woodsy map is heavily in favour of the resistance. I think I only saw the first order win early in the day when nobody knew what they were doing. Too easy to spot and now everyone has alot of cheesy mines and stuff.

xzi

Mouthbreather
So did they really decide to go the route through loot crates being almost exclusively the only form of progression? I mean, I can get cards that perform better than other people and it's not being called out for being p2w?

Gameplay feels good but their "no DLC" was not only an absurd lie but they somehow made DLC an RNG lootbox shitfest

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

yes they did, but it doesn't really come across as p2w. you seem to get them through normal playthrough on a regular basis

xzi

Mouthbreather
They're item and skill upgrades that give you a clear advantage that you can pay real money for. That is literally what pay to win means. Boba Fett gets a card that makes him fully immune to damage while shooting rockets in the air, only if you have the max ranked card. && This is only in beta. You're delusional if you think it's not going to get worse.

• 1Like

j00t

Yeah, there are some insane buffs you can buy. But you can't buy them directly. You can get the same buff without buying anything but the core game. I'm not defending it, I'm just saying it's no where near the worst offender of nickel and diming.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Wait we're going to have people bitching about the endgame crates in Shadow of War but not the clear power advantage that Battlefront II's crates give you?

• 1Like

j00t

The difference is that in this, there's no difference between the crates you buy with cash, and the crates you buy with in game credits (which you get pretty regularly just by playing). In shadow of war, the crates you buy with cash are ONLY AVAILABLE if you spend cash

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Wait we're going to have people bitching about the endgame crates in Shadow of War but not the clear power advantage that Battlefront II's crates give you?

Because it's a completely different scenario.

The SoW shit turns a 15 hour game into an additional 40 hour slog without buying crates to see the actual ending to the game, the crates in BF2 don't impact people who don't buy them at all. The crates in BF2 are also given out for logging in and for completing tasks on the regular, as well as being buyable with in-game currency that you can amass pretty quickly. If SoW gave out boxes in the same way I don't think the stink about that game would be nearly as bad.

Also, you can't straight up buy that Boba Fett epic card, you have to roll the dice and get lucky, just like anyone who gets their loot boxes just from playing the game. It's also a buff to skill with a cooldown on a character that costs a ton of points to unlock. When you just look at the card it seems like this huge deal, but it's overall impact on a match is minimal. Finally, I crafted tier 2 of that skill after playing 3 matches in game. Like, you're literally going to have that skill, even if you don't get lucky with the dozen or so lockboxes you'll get just from playing, in a day or so depending on how much you play.

People are freaking out over nothing. Lockboxes suck ass, we all know this, but they aren't going anywhere and I'll take the way they are implemented in this game over splitting the playerbase like every other EA multiplayer game has done.

j00t

Because it's a completely different scenario.

The SoW shit turns a 15 hour game into an additional 40 hour slog without buying crates to see the actual ending to the game, the crates in BF2 don't impact people who don't buy them at all. The crates in BF2 are also given out for logging in and for completing tasks on the regular, as well as being buyable with in-game currency that you can amass pretty quickly. If SoW gave out boxes in the same way I don't think the stink about that game would be nearly as bad.

Also, you can't straight up buy that Boba Fett epic card, you have to roll the dice and get lucky, just like anyone who gets their loot boxes just from playing the game. It's also a buff to skill with a cooldown on a character that costs a ton of points to unlock. When you just look at the card it seems like this huge deal, but it's overall impact on a match is minimal. Finally, I crafted tier 2 of that skill after playing 3 matches in game. Like, you're literally going to have that skill, even if you don't get lucky with the dozen or so lockboxes you'll get just from playing, in a day or so depending on how much you play.

People are freaking out over nothing. Lockboxes suck ass, we all know this, but they aren't going anywhere and I'll take the way they are implemented in this game over splitting the playerbase like every other EA multiplayer game has done.
Yes exactly. Let's say you buy a ton of crates with real money. let's say you get super lucky and unlock the highest tier of boba fetts invincible rocket launching skill. that skill lasts like 5 seconds. boba fett costs like, 3500 points. if you suck, you just aren't going to be getting those points. you get points for playing well. you can't LITERALLY p2w because the points you accrue are based on player skill level, not what level cards they have.

and guess what? the heroes in this game are much more mortal than in the first one. i got the millennium falcon and then literally about 10 seconds later i died. and i died because i was under the impression that the millennium falcon was invincible, like it was last game. all the heroes are VERY killable. so when you DO get the points to play as a hero, it's for a limited time in a large scale battle. yeah, their input into the level is significant, but an individual card won't be under most circumstances.

Sulrn

Deuces

People buying EA games at this point have already proven themselves to be sheeple. No point coming in here and shitting up a thread because people want to relive Star Wars X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or a game that was better developed 10+ years ago.

Keep the list growing boys.

f92.png

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So night vision optics took me from near dead last to near the top. Just being able to see your reticle makes a huge difference.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
People buying EA games at this point have already proven themselves to be sheeple. No point coming in here and shitting up a thread because people want to relive Star Wars X-Wing vs Tie Fighter or a game that was better developed 10+ years ago.

I'm just trying to get my facts straight so I can impress my forum peers with the cool thing to do but it seems like one day roulette style micro-transactions are cool and the next day fuck them to death.

• 1Worf

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm just trying to get my facts straight so I can impress my forum peers with the cool thing to do but it seems like one day roulette style micro-transactions are cool and the next day fuck them to death.

The opinions aren't changing. It's just a political entrenchment between Gaming Enthusiasts and people who enjoy games. You would think their opinions would align, but they don't. Some people are just too worn down by their real lives to give a shit when they're getting fucked by their hobby too. There's no point in dragging down certain threads as you already know people have their opinions fixed.

This thread is pretty much the gaming equivalent of a Sanctuary City in that regard. Let the people give each other AIDS if that's what they really want.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I want a card that turns off the minimap and in exchange gives enemies realistic footstep audio

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Infantry combat is kinda poop? But holy crap the starfighter mode is way better than last time.