Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wow that's great, compare the real actors to original Vader voice, no wonder he got dubbed. I also noticed they used "Sith Lord" and talked about the senate being disbanded which I thought were just prequel things.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Wow that's great, compare the real actors to original Vader voice, no wonder he got dubbed. I also noticed they used "Sith Lord" and talked about the senate being disbanded which I thought were just prequel things.

Yeah I remember from my Topps Star Wars cards I had when I was a kid that there was one that referred to Vader as Dark Lord of the Sith and that was back when ESB came out. It was just a cool sounding title that Lucas used back then though. There wasn't any background on it to be had.

But the line in ANH about the senate was always in the movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Royal

Springboarded from the TLJ thread:

Do you believe they'll use Star Wars as a platform to further social agendas?

Sure it will. It always has. It's just a matter of will it be in ways that trips any particular person's SJW alarm.

Did you see that video someone linked of Lucas talking about the considerations that went into casting for Leia? That was happening just a few short years after the ERA was passed and was up for ratification by the states. And Leia ended up becoming the prototype for strong, assertive female central characters in movies that featured some amount of action for them to get involved in. At least in modern film. And that will continue.

Are you talking about more racial diversity among casts? Yes it will. The prequels did that and the two newer movies (as well as some of the other media) followed suit and the ones to come will also.

Gay or lesbian character? Probably so, eventually. There have been a couple in some of the books but I think it will be a while yet before there is more than just an inference of such in the movies.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. They already used it in TFA that way. It's not that subtle, but it's incredibly mild. The fight scene with Rey and Finn? Where he decides to rescue her and she kicks everyone's ass including his... and then proclaims "I don't need rescued"? (I don't remember if she literally said that, she probably did because there's a chance that SOMEONE might have missed the point, but that was the scene). That's a play against type, furthering a kind of social agenda. In this case basic equality of women. Strong woman, comically inept martial trained goofball. It's a play against their OWN type of the movie that this was a remake of, even. Leia, while she was assertive and a rejection of the tropes that proceeded HER... the entire damn plot of the first movie revolved around rescuing her. It's not subtle. It's also not offensive.

And like royal says there. Diversity of both ethnicity and sexual tendency. Of course. It's only offensive if it's the focus of the story, or interferes with the story. It's like product placement. They gotta be drinking something, so they might as well be drinking coke. It's not a problem unless it becomes a problem. Well, in Star Wars them drinking coke WOULD be a problem. But in a movie set anywhere from the 40's to 20's it wouldn't be at all.

Do they turn Star Wars into "Dear White People" or "Brokeback Mountain"? No. They do not do that. This is a business. You don't start selling thousand dollar artisinal forged period-true katanas at the grocery store and expect to make a profit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
It is offensive when it interferes with a story or is not built in naturally. Diversity, whatever else you call it, in itself is not bad but rather when it is coerced. Sincere empowerment is harder to come by than the widespread, low-rent smattery kind. The scene you mentioned where Rey refuses Fin's hand, for example. It's a bit on the nose but nothing outrageous, whereas with Leia character comes first. Her fortitude is part of her character.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

The part of that whole thing that was more out of place was him trying to hold someone's hand while trying to run from something to begin with.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
the entire character of Rey is completely forced and unpalatable unless you're a 12 year old girl or a sad Star Wars sycophant like Royal. woman can't fight men. period. this is what happens when they try:

15503164_snopes-takes-on-punched-antifa-woman-in_t873b7596.jpg

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

It's a fictional setting Keg. I won't bother explaining the implications of that because I'm sure you're well aware, not that it matters.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The part of that whole thing that was more out of place was him trying to hold someone's hand while trying to run from something to begin with.
Yeah, right? They are too busy but not enough for Finn to spare her hand. Naw, doesn't reek of inserting the bit to poke fun at the trope.

Royal

Yeah, right? They are too busy but not enough for Finn to spare her hand. Naw, doesn't reek of inserting the bit to poke fun at the trope.

Well if I'm the dude in that scenario I wouldn't be wanting to take myself out of my natural running motion and slow myself down by holding her hand, not to mention keeping myself closer to her to do so while being shot at by an opponent renowned for only being able to hit targets in a general vicinity. Fuck her I'm with Tyrion ... I like living.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
the entire character of Rey is completely forced and unpalatable unless you're a 12 year old girl or a sad Star Wars sycophant like Royal. woman can't fight men. period. this is what happens when they try:

lightsabers were invented by feminists, they allow womyn to compete with men in martial combat

also didn't brienne of tarth beat up your old avatar

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lightsabers were invented by feminists, they allow womyn to compete with men in martial combat

also didn't brienne of tarth beat up your old avatar

Brienne of Tarth would never pass a chromosome test.

• 2Like

Royal

Brienne of Tarth would never pass a chromosome test.

Y chromosome, midichlorian ... tomato, tomahto.

Yes, Rey is a force tranny. The mystery unraveled through the penultimate of SJW checkboxes. Expect to see her and her "lightsaber" appearing soon in an FSR thread near you.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not all that familiar with Mark Hammil in his personal life, so I was hoping maybe someone can help me out with the inside track. This is a mash-up, but the reason this mash-up was created was because of the original way he conducted himself. This was only produced because people felt it was worth highlighting for keks.

I just don't know how to take this tone. Especially when he is speaking about the fans. I've heard him in other multi-hour-long duration interviews, that left me with no question about how lively and passionate he can be.

He comes across as pretty stony and uncaring here. Did he catch a bad case of Harrison Forditis (who absolutely loathes star wars) that week?

EDIT: Second listen, there is a slurring to his speech. I guess we can just chalk it up to that. He must be stoned on something combined with his desire to be comedic, and the end result-- sounding like world's greatest asshat.

Think he even telepathically called that Leia fat. Yikes lol.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
that seems just shit taken out of context, 5 mins of stuff he said over a couple hours? his leia tribute thing linked earlier i think seemed pretty heartfelt and he was choking up and shit. having a dude just sit and speak for an hour by himself just seems like a terrible thing to plan and do, should always put these kind of things in panel format, especially with a few younger people who are faster in reactions.

lets face it, all these guys have heard the exact same questions for like 30 years now, i can't imagine how they can possibly muster any enthusiasm at all

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
And star wars basically buried him. Ford went on to a career. Fischer even went on to more movie roles. Hamil was fucked though. A victim of success.

I'd understand if he was a little resentful of that. 30 years later and its still the same questions.

I mean not too resentful. You're fucking Luke Skywalker. But a little, sure. He probably wasted a few years before he realized the trap he was in.

Royal

Hamill was not the caliber of actor that was ever going to have an easy time moving out of the shadow of his role in Star Wars. The car accident he was in ruined his good looks pretty early in his career and that cost his some of the opportunities he otherwise would have had to show he could play more than just Luke Skywalker. He started getting some smaller scale chances later in his career but he was well into the back end of his acting days by then.

It's surprising to me he isn't jaded as fuck about all of it. I think the fact that he had some success as a voice actor and through that played some roles that many Star Wars fans also appreciate and show interest in probably helped in that regard. He's generally considered pretty tireless in showing the fans that he also appreciates them. If you were to piece together a video of those types of clips and sound bites it would be way longer than 5 minutes.

Still, I'm sure it all wears thin on him now and then. It would me.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I'm sure there's fans of anything that are unbearable shitheads or just don't know where the 'line' is, and I'd be willing to bet that Mark Hamill has had to deal with them by the thousands for the last 40 years. I'm honestly surprised his actual mental state hasn't devolved into the Joker by this point for reals. Also for that video -- I watched the whole thing when it was live and he didn't come across as a prick at all, it's all about context. He just seemed tired more than anything. Cherry picking tiny soundbites can make anyone seem like a raging asshole.

• 1Like