Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. It's not something I'm wanting to see them make but I'm in the minority of fans on that apparently. If Rogue One was too constrained by the existing lore that bookended it (and I think it was) then this will be even more shackled. I do think they could make a good movie about Obi-Wan's time during his lonely vigil watching over a young Luke I just don't think that they will. That would need to be a narrowly focused, smaller scale character study sort of film. And while they'll probably have elements of that by the time they tack on all of the must haves for a Star Wars movie to broaden it's appeal it will be a watered down half effort at such.

I would be a little more optimistic for it if they had waited until they get to the point of doing multiple movies per year (if they ever go there). I could see them doing a smallish movie if they have another, more grand affair coming out shortly after it. But if it's going to be their one movie for the year then it can't stay small.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I hope they get Ewan back for the role, he has said multiple times he would love to do it. He's still the right age for anything happening between episode 3 and episode 4.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Oh yeah they'll get him. He's the single person most responsible for the idea of an Obi-Wan movie. He started talking about it in interviews and it took off from there. A big component of the fan support for such a movie is predicated upon McGregor getting another shot to play the role where he isn't surrounded by a train wreck.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
They should end the Obi-Wan movie with a scene of him negotiating trade routes with the Jawas, and he's trying to protect Luke by keeping the Jawas the hell away from Luke's Aunt & Uncle's farm, but he keeps on rolling 1s on his force checks and the Jawas go straight to Luke as soon as they possibly can.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
They should end the Obi-Wan movie with a scene of him negotiating trade routes with the Jawas, and he's trying to protect Luke by keeping the Jawas the hell away from Luke's Aunt & Uncle's farm, but he keeps on rolling 1s on his force checks and the Jawas go straight to Luke as soon as they possibly can.
No, they should end it with him killing Maul in a proper 20-30 min dual, not one hit like the cartoon.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, they should end it with him killing Maul in a proper 20-30 min dual, not one hit like the cartoon.

IMDb: Characters By Screen Time: Star Wars - a list by ninewheels0

Number 38 on the list, weighing in at 6 minutes of total screen time, is Darth Who?

I'm sure Disney would love to sell billions of dollars worth of Darth Whoever action figures, and Darth Maul already has a very well established and easily marketable brand identity. So they might as well milk that guy for whatever he's worth, right?

The timeline of Star Wars Rebels is 5ish years ahead of Episode 4 though, which would make the fight with Darth Maul a flashback sequence in a movie that shows how tediously boring it was protecting Luke on some forsaken desert planet with coarse and rough and irritating sand getting everywhere. It would be like Obi-Wan daydreaming about the time a few years ago he actually had to swing his lightsaber and somehow managed to not totally fuck that up. And then he wakes up and goes to his boring ass negotiations and unwittingly leads the Empire straight to Luke's house.

Last edited:

Royal

There's no room for crossing paths with Maul (again) within the existing lore. They've pretty much hit all of those bases already within the animated TV series.

I could see them calling Vader up off of the bench again but Maul is done as far as live action movies go.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Obi Wan movie is Obi Wan's shipment of supplies from one of the few people he trusts is a few days late. He goes to Tosche station himself to find that his supplier ran afoul of Jabba the Hutt, so he goes to Mos Eisley to find his friend. He runs into Jabba holding his friend in a warehouse. A fight breaks out, and Obi Wan has no choice but to bust out the lightsaber (this is also why Jabba says, "he's no Jedi." when he meets Luke later in RotJ because he saw what Obi Wan can do). With his lightsaber pointed at Jabba's face, he makes Jabba swear that he and his surviving associates won't bring this up or mention his existence again. Jabba agrees, saying the Empire coming to the Outer Rim would be bad for business.

However, a small time bounty hunter managed to record holotape footage of part of the incident; hard evidence of a still living Jedi would fetch top credits from the Empire. Jabba's henchmen get in a fight with the bounty hunter, who escapes and makes it off planet to head to Imperial space. Jabba makes a deal with Obi Wan; he will hire a mercenary crew and a ship captain to take Obi Wan to pursue the bounty hunter and destroy the evidence before he can deliver the holotape to the Empire. Jabba figures he will win either way; Obi Wan will either die, or destroy the evidence and the Empire won't send Star Destroyers to the Outer Rim. The second part of the movie is the chase and recovering the holotape and Obi Wan dealing with the crew, who is deciding whether they want to risk turning them in themselves or getting chopped up by a lightsaber.

So Obi Wan left Tatooine for a month max during a 20 year hermitage.

And if you think my script is bad, wait until you see what writers that get paid money to do this come up with.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
there was an ob1 book set when he first settled on tatooine. It was like a western in a star wars setting. It's probably too much to ask that his movie be something like that.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Gonna guess they either convince Rian Johnson to stay for another go-round, or get Garreth Edwards to take a swing at Episode IX after the success of Rogue One

• 1Like

Royal

Thank christ.

I didn't like him getting the nod to begin with and the calls for him to go have been steadily building even before all of the drama with L&M unfolded. In fact Trevorrow still being set to helm IX while those two were shown the door gave the whole affair an added sense of irony.

Even though I'm glad to see him go it's still not a good look for Lucasfilm/KK. As of right now the majority of the director's of the Disney era never make it to the finish line still in the chair. They've produced 3 movies (counting TLJ here) and have fired or essentially replaced directors 4 times.

Gonna guess they either convince Rian Johnson to stay for another go-round, or get Garreth Edwards to take a swing at Episode IX after the success of Rogue One

I would be inclined wait to see what RJ's finished product is like before saying definitely one way or the other but I wouldn't object to it at this point either way. Edwards though ... half of his finished edit ended up on the cutting room floor and the parts of R1 that most people say were it's best he didn't direct. That was Tony Gilroy. If springboarding off of R1 is how they want to play it just go with the fixer from the get.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
qvtfo1v385kz.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Lol success

R1 was a shittastic movie

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users