Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
george lucas gets no royalties for anything star wars, all that IP was sold to Disney they are run by lawyers they aren't giving any of that shit up. Lucas however took half his payment in Disney stock which has grown from around $2b at the time of the deal to over $8b last year, dunno how Disney is doing this year.

Some of you are just nuts, especially chuck and co. Every year you keep posting about how Kathleen Kennedy is destroying Star Wars and is on the verge of getting fired, and she keeps getting promoted. Then you change the shtick to that she has dirt on everyone, like she is some sort of Palpatine mixed with Harvey Weinstein.

The much simpler explanation is that they are all typical corporate shmucks who have no real clue what they are doing and take all the praise when stuff works (Marvel) and shift all the blame when stuff doesn't work (Star Wars). And keep raking in those stock options and corporate perks and shower it around to each other like every VP/CEO at every fortune 500 company. Until Disney starts bleeding money there is no one to hold them accountable for constantly fucking up.

But... I also read this:

In October 2012 George Lucas sold Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion. When he sold Lucasfilm he also sold his rights to directly make money off NEW Star Wars projects (and Indiana Jones projects, etc.). He would be entitled to some royalties under Writer's Guild rules for creating the original characters.

So based off that knowledge, he would still receive royalties on anything but the NEW in one way or another. And how that would impact Disney's decision to not use legacy Star Wars for their theme park would be in the air at that point with that knowledge.

spronk

FPS noob
Lucas isn't a member of the writers or directors guild, he left due to some issues with them not allowing no credits during the opening of ESB or something, so I'm not really sure how much that "source" can be trusted. The rules are definitely murky and complicated and I doubt anyone but a handful of people know, funnily enough the former General Manager and Senior VP of Lucasfilm answered the question on quora and said Lucas gets nothing beyond the stock compensation and the usual royalties for when the movies Lucas directed/produced are shown

I'd love to see some definite predictions for 5 years from people speculating here, and we could revisit those speculations in 5 years. I'm 100% positive Lucasfilm will remain part of Disney, Disney will release at least 2 new movies and 3 new TV shows in those 5 years, and Kathleen Kennedy will probably gain even more power, maybe even the Disney CEO role, and continue to be as useless as she is now. Feel free to put your money where you mouth is and predict all the ways Lucas will buy back Lucasfilm or how Kathleen Kennedy will finally get her comeuppance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sucks to hear that. But Lucas gets no royalties. When he sold it to them, it was lock stock and barrel. His only special consideration was reportedly that they not let his outline for the final 3 movies get leaked before they make the movies. Then they just ignored his suggestions.

And STILL leaked it after TFA and TLJ were criticized for damage control.

"HEY these movies weren't so bad, just look at what George wanted to do!"

Damn embarrassing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I was at galaxies edge in February, I heard tons of kids and parents alike saying, “This doesn’t even feel like Star Wars”. Unfortunately, I was also disappointed. Many people have said they wished it was old school Lucas. Must be something with royalties I bet though too. He probably has something in his contract that he gets royalties for anything relating to the first six movies, nothing for Anything after full purchase by Disney. But that would be speculation. Wouldn’t count it out though.

I went there in Nov and felt the same way. It was void of anything nostalgic from the original trilogy except for the millennium falcon. While I enjoyed getting my custom lightsaber everything else felt off. Whenever my wife wanted a break from the massive crowds we always ended up going to galaxies edge. It was really sad. It had the potential to be an epic addition to the park but it fell flat.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Are these custom lightsabers basically the same thing you can get at conventions?

Do any of them have laser pointers built in? That's the only way I'll probably ever buy another lightsaber.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Been rumored for a little bit now, but good news confirmed today
buried by the bigger news. Kathleen Kennedy owns Bob Iger's ass. bitch ass faggot completely caved and is allowing woke Star Wars to go forward without asking for approval. what a shitpile company.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Update from Doomcock

I just want to say, I'm really trying to keep things a little lighter these days, to use more humor, to be more optimistic...but this is the 4th, and this needed to be said. I apologize if this makes anyone sad, but I have to be honest. This is what I'm feeling. You guys are the best audience anyone could hope for, and I hope in the days to come to find some bright spots for you, some happy news to share. Today is just not that day. And yet with every eulogy, there is inherently a sense of celebration beneath the sorrow, because after all, if there had been no love, there would be no tears. Star Wars has been one of the great loves of my life. I bow my head out of love today, out of love and respect, remembering what was with love rather than contemplating what is with hate. The anger is still there, but today I simply mourn. I posted this for others who are mourning, in the hopes that my words will help those of you who feel the same way, but can't find your own words. May mine prove adequate, and help you through the false celebration of this hollow day.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1588623932528.png
1588624127533.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Iger needs to accept it will go all the way to the point where they have to fire her, let every loyal to her self-identify, then fire all of them too.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd rather not, most of them deserve to be in the sarlacc.

• 1Like