Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The prequels were honest attempts by one man made poorly. The sequels were greedy attempts designed by committee made poorly.

I feel amused watching the prequels.
I feel scuzzy watching the sequels.

• 7Like
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Sterling

El Presidente
The prequels were honest attempts by one man made poorly. The sequels were greedy attempts designed by committee made poorly.

I feel amused watching the prequels.
I feel scuzzy watching the sequels.
Yeah, that's always been my take. Prequels are bad, episodes 8 and 9 are actively offensive.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For the prequels you could take the exact same characters, most of the same actors, and the general plot outline and hand them to any decent director/writer who would make something 100% watchable. Lucas still deserves hate for what he failed to accomplish but we found out there are people who can/did do worse.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Prequels have been redeemed by 1) Prequel Memes and 2) The Sequel Trilogy. They are masterpieces now compared to modern movies.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Prequels have been redeemed by 1) Prequel Memes and 2) The Sequel Trilogy. They are masterpieces now compared to modern movies.
as much as i hate modern films, a good majority of the MCU films are fucking awesome. probably the best series of films since the LOTR trilogy. the LOTR trilogy being the best film series since the OT Indiana Jones films and OT star wars.

and NO, the Matrix film series was not awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
as much as i hate modern films, a good majority of the MCU films are fucking awesome. probably the best series of films since the LOTR trilogy. the LOTR trilogy being the best film series since the OT Indiana Jones films and OT star wars.

and NO, the Matrix film series was not awesome.
Yeah MCU is a miracle though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
I'd love to know back in 2008 when Iron Man was being filmed/released what Marvel/Disney's goals were at the time. Like legitimately how far did they think that gravy train would run.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd love to know back in 2008 when Iron Man was being filmed/released what Marvel/Disney's goals were at the time. Like legitimately how far did they think that gravy train would run.
Not sure if more complete interviews are on the blu-rays but there's a few clips from Jon Favreau giving his thoughts from a decade ago.

Fadaar

That guy
that Sarah Finn lady deserves some kind of fuckin special award for her casting

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It has to have exceeded the wildest expectations.
well to be fair, it didnt bust out of the gates big baller awesome. Iron Man was a huge hit, but Hulk was weak and Thor was a meh movie and the first Cap film was rough around the edges. i liked the first Cap film, but thats because i am a Cap fan. even RLM shit on the movie. the whole MCU really took off with the first Avengers film. i think if they didnt hit that out of the park, this whole thing would have turned out differently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the only goals they had was

• survive the 2008 housing bubble crash
  • make more $$$
  • put scarjo in a leather outfit
V-qi8LMYlfJsG-zd-L-RXb3bp3PN9Il1KbjwiUQMS6oPpuGT_C3V3sffvvDMHW0GwFYXa1wIH7GmyhCOu5hg5cxt23kjkBX5Qx9G7AQIa2i_inLW-1YM49Mv9Uu77t-4La5MnJgCrVU

0c3ef2bb01134095fced829603cd6507.png

tumblr_pvmm58E4kJ1qcxa02o7_250.gifv

• 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
well to be fair, it didnt bust out of the gates big baller awesome. Iron Man was a huge hit, but Hulk was weak and Thor was a meh movie and the first Cap film was rough around the edges. i liked the first Cap film, but thats because i am a Cap fan. even RLM shit on the movie. the whole MCU really took off with the first Avengers film. i think if they didnt hit that out of the park, this whole thing would have turned out differently.
I thought the first Cap film was great and I am not a Cap fan.

I just watche most of Episode I tonight while working and and it's really not that bad. It's at least a real Star Wars movie, unlike 7-9.

• 4Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

I just watche most of Episode I tonight while working and and it's really not that bad. It's at least a real Star Wars movie, unlike 7-9.
If you delete everything having to do with Jar Jar and Gungans and cut 50% of Anakin's lines and gave more screen time to Liam Neesen it'd be a classic.

• 4Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i saw Cap 1 in the theater with my dad and i mostly loved it, my dad thought it was just OK, he was a Cap fan too. it had some pacing issues and Red Skull and the whole nazis within the nazis was a little silly. Return to Castle Wolfenstein did it better. but yeah overall it was good. Winter Soldier completely owned it and is probably the best MCU film outside of the Avengers movies. ive seen Winter Soldier at least a dozen times, maybe two dozen. it pretty much was the structure they built all the rest of the MCU films on.

i saw TPM at a midnight showing on a wednesday before release and i was completely disappointed. it woke me up to the fact that Star Wars was better left as an icon of its time.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you delete everything having to do with Jar Jar and Gungans and cut 50% of Anakin's lines and gave more screen time to Liam Neesen it'd be a classic.
SIlly aliens are pretty consistent with Star Wars movies, and yeah, Anakin's dialogue through all 3 movies is what really drags the whole trilogy down.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Everyone who thinks prequels were ok should really watch RLM reviews of the prequels and then reconsider their opinions.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Having an actual story and a universe helps.

7-9 lack a universe. Kind of hard to enjoy when you take the universe out of space opera.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Everyone who thinks prequels were ok should really watch RLM reviews of the prequels and then reconsider their opinions.
"I'm an intellectual midget who can't form his own opinions"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user