Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The only thing I know is that Mark Hamill has been extremely critical of the trilogy since reading the TFA script and hasn't really said anything positive any time someone asks him about Star Wars since.

He's like a lot of fans are when they're own head canon doesn't pan out. It's been mentioned before that he was critical of the directing and writing when the OT was in production as well.

Sulrn

Deuces
I remember that, but I think there's something to be said after his successful career and having an idea of what fans actually care about. So far the only thing I've seen is a Disney franchise exploitation without any quality content.

I mean we're at point in cinematography where superhero movies (which are simply trumped up video game movies) are getting better treatment than Star Wars. I'm down for new Star Wars content, but at this point I think we were better off if Lucas put the franchise into an enduring copyright shenanigans after RoTJ and never let anyone buy the movie rights.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

I wouldn't normally post a toy pic unless is it was potentially revealing in some way about one of the movies that isn't out yet but this Hot Toy of Chirrut from Rogue One is fucking amazing. For size ...

PD1480408949MYn.jpg

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean we're at point in cinematography where superhero movies (which are simply trumped up video game movies) are getting better treatment than Star Wars. I'm down for new Star Wars content, but at this point I think we were better off if Lucas put the franchise into an enduring copyright shenanigans after RoTJ and never let anyone buy the movie rights.

I know what you mean. The creative on the super hero movies do a lot of research and consideration for core fans. They do their best to deliver something that jives with the source material. Whereas Kennedy has said she doesn't care about the OT fans or Star Wars purists or the EU.

My main problem with the Disney story arc that makes up Episode 7,8,9 is that its essentially leading Star Wars into a creative dead-end. The main movies could have been something that expands what Star Wars can be. 7,8,9 are not showing any signs of creative expansion.

Disney could have run something like the full Thrawn Trilogy for episode 7,8,9 and delivered to OT fans a "Star Wars orgasm". Get the rave reviews, get people feeling fresh. Then they could go ahead and shoot another additional sequel with The Force Awakens as the pilot of another separate trilogy set further into the future. And Thrawn trilogy doesn't mean no female leads, plenty of room to write there.

The direction of the Star Wars universe right now is like they are building a creative prison, and I don't know how many billion-dollar box offices that's worth. And they aren't apt to care since George's asking price was a fire sale.

However, if the Fett movie with the crime lords pitched by Bencio Del Toro comes out and absolutely kills it, or that Obi Wan flick-- all is forgiven.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Royal

Guilllermo.

I agree with you for the most part but I would flip it. I think the main sage, in the near term at least, should stick to Star Wars and it's usual themes as they have always been. And what they're doing so far is consistent with that. It's the anthology movies that should be inching out into new territory. That way when they find something with some real traction they can set up a secondary saga or perhaps something like a two part standalone.

Rogue One did that only in the most minute of ways. And nothing they've announced as potential ideas seems to be any more aggressive on that front. They really need to set something in a different time period or maybe somewhere in the GFFA that is unexplored territory for audiences. I'd really like to see them trade in the space nazis for some Sith Empire.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Don't know where else to put this. Because of irma, they had to remove the shit that was blocking the view of the new star wars land entrance. Maybe this stuff has all been seen somewhere else, but I hadn't seen it.

Fadaar

That guy
I know what you mean. The creative on the super hero movies do a lot of research and consideration for core fans. They do their best to deliver something that jives with the source material. Whereas Kennedy has said she doesn't care about the OT fans or Star Wars purists or the EU.

My main problem with the Disney story arc that makes up Episode 7,8,9 is that its essentially leading Star Wars into a creative dead-end. The main movies could have been something that expands what Star Wars can be. 7,8,9 are not showing any signs of creative expansion.

Disney could have run something like the full Thrawn Trilogy for episode 7,8,9 and delivered to OT fans a "Star Wars orgasm". Get the rave reviews, get people feeling fresh. Then they could go ahead and shoot another additional sequel with The Force Awakens as the pilot of another separate trilogy set further into the future. And Thrawn trilogy doesn't mean no female leads, plenty of room to write there.

The direction of the Star Wars universe right now is like they are building a creative prison, and I don't know how many billion-dollar box offices that's worth. And they aren't apt to care since George's asking price was a fire sale.

However, if the Fett movie with the crime lords pitched by Bencio Del Toro comes out and absolutely kills it, or that Obi Wan flick-- all is forgiven.

It's especially sad now that Thrawn is an officially canonized character, because I have a feeling they're going to piss away his potential in season 4 of Rebels.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's especially sad now that Thrawn is an officially canonized character, because I have a feeling they're going to piss away his potential in season 4 of Rebels.

Well, Season 4 is also introducing Rukh, so it's safe to assume Thrawn is going to meet his end at some point, since he doesn't show up in Rogue One and beyond material, and we know Season 4 ends right before Rogue One begins.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Im going to guess that the Director shuffle for Episode IX is going to result in a release slip to December 2019. While it was the intent that they return to the traditional 'May' release, it seems clear that Force Awakens, Rogue One, and now Last Jedi are making excellent merchandise bank being released so close to Xmas. If Episode IX stuck to May then the toys would likely be released in the Spring or right before the movie came out, not nearly as lucrative.

Royal

I dunno. I mean they haven't moved the Solo movie yet but they might be waiting to see how much reshooting they need to do and how that will effect the production time before settling on a new date. Kennedy will probably do everything possible to stick to those dates. The movies making big bank is one point offsetting her firing directors every other week in her boss's mind. Another will be not mucking up Disney's broader release schedule in the process.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It's official... JJ Abrams writing / directing Episode IX

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Thrawn's original story was that he was sent to the outer rim because he was non human but the emperor liked him anyway. That could still happen and would explain where he has been in the movies up until now.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The Emperor as a pretty extreme racist is a subtle underlying theme in the Clone Wars. While the Jedi have members from tons of different races, the Empire is exclusively human with Thrawn as the only notable exception.

Remember back in the Phantom Menace where Sidious openly derides the Gungans and fails to take them fully into account in his initial plans and when they do show up he sneers an order to wipe them all out.

The First Order also seems to be exclusively human, except for Supreme Leader Snoke...

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
The Emperor as a pretty extreme racist is a subtle underlying theme in the Clone Wars. While the Jedi have members from tons of different races, the Empire is exclusively human with Thrawn as the only notable exception.

Remember back in the Phantom Menace where Sidious openly derides the Gungans and fails to take them fully into account in his initial plans and when they do show up he sneers an order to wipe them all out.

The First Order also seems to be exclusively human, except for Supreme Leader Snoke...
In the new canon the Emperor isn't as overtly racist as pre-disney. Which I think is a good thing as I never bought why an evil space wizard would be concerned with such mundane things as species purity. Oh and his first apprentice was nonhuman as well.

In the Thrawn novelization the fact that the empire is mostly human is due to the nepotism and prejudice of the naval corps with extreme preference to core world (human) officers. They're essentially upset that the separatists in the clone wars were mostly aliens and don't trust any aliens as a result. Even though there were plenty on the Republic side.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The whole "empire is racist" thing is completely EU bullshit extrapolation of coincidences and budgeting.

The fact is that they had limited resources, so everything in EP4 was human unless they needed to make a point of "ohhhhh exotic aliens" like in the Cantina scene. Obi Wan Kenobi attacks more aliens than Darth Vader does. That imagery just carried on to the next few films. You can't have stormtroopers that look menacing and legion if they rank up like an LGBT pride parade.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
This just in, episode IX to feature a larger starkiller base, a large space slug alien gangster, and a race of cute heroic furries.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
star wars is next level SJW, "You're a FUCKING HUMAN, Check your Sith Privilege!!!"

Royal

It's official... JJ Abrams writing / directing Episode IX

Would not have been my first choice. Though many were guessing that he'd be the most likely candidate since his schedule was open and Lucasfilm was very happy with TFA. I just hope all of the criticisms about it leaning too heavily on the older films for it's story beats sunk in. You can get a pass once (or never from some) but not twice.

I'm curious if his production company Bad Robot will be in the mix this time around. Lucasfilm had to rely on them for TFA because they had shrunk under George to the point that they couldn't fully produce a feature on the scale of a Star Wars movie all on their own anymore. As a result Abrams had a lot of leverage and didn't end up working as closely with some of the divisions of Lucasfilm as some would have liked. They might tell him to leave his friends and cohorts on the sidelines.