Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Fair enough Tony Gilroy really was the director of Rogue One. I still find it interesting that both TFA and Rogue One are so extremely polarizing. I have good friends who love one and hate, I mean completely loathe, the other.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fair enough Tony Gilroy really was the director of Rogue One. I still find it interesting that both TFA and Rogue One are so extremely polarizing. I have good friends who love one and hate, I mean completely loathe, the other.

When confronted with the choice of color-by-numbers creative plagiarism, or a dumpster fire chalk full of OT fanfare-- over here on the EAST SIDE we go with the dumpster fire, every time.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
color-by-numbers creative plagiarism

perfect

TFA gave us nothing, you could see Disney saying "If you fuck this up, we will spend another $1B fucking your family".

I'm not sure which I dislike more. If VIII is decent, will bring TFA up.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
91FylACBWbL._SY450_.jpg

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
TFA was at least a formulaic and watchable Star Wars movie, R1 we a dumpster fire with Star Wars lipstick.

Did you not like R1? I feel weird about it. I thought NONE of the characters were remotely likable. The robot *sucked* and it's humor fell flat. But at the same time I liked it because it was essentially this horrible suicide mission, and it was brutal that EVERYONE fucking died, and then the Darth Vader scene was the best 90 seconds in any movie, ever (up until Wonder Woman came out, then No Mans Land is best scene ever.)

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
K2 is the only thing good in rogue one.
The rest is bad, really bad. Hell, the premise of the movie itself is pointless.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

I think the premise was a good one as far as wanting to create a Star Wars war movie. I think they made a mistake in trying to wrap that around the stealing of the DS plans though. And that goes back to them being overly shackled to the events and characters of the OT. It would have been perfectly fine to use that time period to tell a war story but they needed to have centered it around a less well known point in the Galactic Civil War.

As for the Vader scene, that's right out of the Twilight Company novel (only it took place in Echo Base on Hoth instead of on a ship). That book would have been good source material to have adapted further for a movie ... if their canon policy actually allowed for it. Another self-inflicted limitation.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
As for the Vader scene, that's right out of the Twilight Company novel (only it took place in Echo Base on Hoth instead of on a ship). That book would have been good source material to have adapted further for a movie ... if their canon policy actually allowed for it. Another self-inflicted limitation.

It would be OK with me if they had a scene like that with vader in every single one of these anthology movies (assuming the time period is right for all of them, which it might not be for han solo). Wouldn't even have to make sense or fit into the story being told. Just at some point cut to vader exiting a shuttle and mowing down an indigenous population.

• 1Worf

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's right. It's about something that is NOT that interesting and....you know the outcome. Plus, although the main focus is the death star, at least make sure you have memorable characters, that we care about their fates.
Not to mention, the most spoken scene was darth's hack 'n slash (for me it didn't work, just fanboy wanking material).

ALL SW anthology movies are prequels and that's one of the reasons none of them will work critically (financially is another story). I can't remember any single prequel of a beloved movie or franchise that was good or even average.
Prequels don't work PERIOD

Chris

Potato del Grande
Star War prequels were great as soon as r/prequelmemes started memeing them this year.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did you not like R1? I feel weird about it. I thought NONE of the characters were remotely likable. The robot *sucked* and it's humor fell flat. But at the same time I liked it because it was essentially this horrible suicide mission, and it was brutal that EVERYONE fucking died, and then the Darth Vader scene was the best 90 seconds in any movie, ever (up until Wonder Woman came out, then No Mans Land is best scene ever.)

See my review of R1 in that thread, wasn't that long ago I posted it, can't be back more than a few pages.

It was a rambling incoherent mess. It had none of the SW "magic" just worthless pew pew.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Imagine Terminator 4 but add in an awesome human versus terminator battlefield for the last act. That's Rogue One.

Royal

It would be OK with me if they had a scene like that with vader in every single one of these anthology movies (assuming the time period is right for all of them, which it might not be for han solo). Wouldn't even have to make sense or fit into the story being told. Just at some point cut to vader exiting a shuttle and mowing down an indigenous population.

You'll likely get your wish in the not yet announced Kenobi movie. I can easily see them using Vader as the premise for getting Obi-Wan off of Tantooine. He hears about Vader and begins to suspect that Anakin survived on Mustafar and decides to make one last effort to pull him back from the dark side, perhaps even toying with the idea of telling him his children are alive.

Royal

ALL SW anthology movies are prequels and that's one of the reasons none of them will work critically (financially is another story).

Which is why I've been either unexcited or outright down on every idea they've announced or thrown out to see how fans react since Rogue One. That at least had the war angle to give it potential. Early life or origin stories around Yoda, Han, etc ... no thanks. The ideas for the Fett movie have at least evolved since Trank was cut loose as it's director into a broader bounty hunter themed movie which could actually get folded into a Star Wars crime lords concept that supposedly Guillermo del Toro has pitched to LFL.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Which is why I've been either unexcited or outright down on every idea they've announced or thrown out to see how fans react since Rogue One. That at least had the war angle to give it potential. Early life or origin stories around Yoda, Han, etc ... no thanks. The ideas for the Fett movie have at least evolved since Trank was cut loose as it's director into a broader bounty hunter themed movie which could actually get folded into a Star Wars crime lords concept that supposedly Guillermo del Toro has pitched to LFL.

The war angle... You mean like that original trilogy?

I don't get it. SW is Jedi/family lineage/evil wizard vs samurai with the backdrop of space WW2. That's it. If you fuck with it, it makes no sense and falls apart quickly.

R1 tried to do "gritty war movie" with laughably stupid script, still trying to sell kids toys, over the top nostalgia callbacks, etc. That doesn't make any sense.

If they had gone straight war movie, ie unit of soldiers not gaggle of sideshow freaks, it might have been ok. If they had gone oceans 11 spy movie shit with SW charm it would have been ok. Instead they half assed it and got a turd that people will never tire if defending because it had sweet Vader scene and cargo AT ATs.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
perfect

TFA gave us nothing, you could see Disney saying "If you fuck this up, we will spend another $1B fucking your family".

I'm not sure which I dislike more. If VIII is decent, will bring TFA up.

I'd liken it to the Empire Strikes Back situation as far as critical reception goes-- its do-or-die for this trilogy.

I also think that is the "nail on the head" full explanation of why JJ was so rude to the actors and the fans throughout the process.

Especially during the closed seession Q+A with Kasdan, who appeared to criticize him. While JJ wasn't rude there while being on the defensive, Kasdan was being obviously rude to JJ and there was apparent tension on the stage. It was interesting to try to read between the lines there. I think I've already posted it here, but if not, I can try to find it again.

I'd kill for a hidden mic documentary on the making of TFA with those two guys wired for sound.

George Lucas sort of put something like that out for the Prequel movies in the featurettes, and I really credit him for being brave enough to discuss creative decisions on camera. From the Kasdan Q+As (both of them) it looked as though JJ doesn't really appreciate having to explain himself.

From Rey to Luke, he basically assaulted everybody in some way or another whether it was during direction or during idea swapping. He was basically saying "Don't you fucks know there is a gun to my head?!?" The amount of political steering and maneuvering and cucking on the TFA production was taking rocknroll to another level.

Last edited:

Sulrn

Deuces
The only thing I know is that Mark Hamill has been extremely critical of the trilogy since reading the TFA script and hasn't really said anything positive any time someone asks him about Star Wars since.

Royal

Especially during the closed seession Q+A with Kasdan, who appeared to criticize him. While JJ wasn't rude there while being on the defensive, Kasdan was being obviously rude to JJ and there was apparent tension on the stage.

If you're not familiar with Lawrence Kasdan or haven't seen many interviews with him the guy is prickly even on a good day and a bit of an asshole the rest of the time. Abrams ended up getting involved in writing the script with him. And this is a guy who has stated publicly on numerous occasions that he hates writing (he likes having the finished product but despises the process). So I'm sure there were some left over bruised feelings after it was all said and done.

Last edited:
  • 1Like