Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Adam Driver admitted shortly after TFA's release that he had trouble understanding Kylo Ren's motivation towards wanting to embrace evil and destroy everything his parents had helped build and stood for. Abrams told him that a young and impressionable Ben Solo had stumbled across an old holorecording of this one day. He completely understood the character afterwards.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
After the abomination that was Episode 8, I'm starting to wonder if Star Wars is actually any good. There's more bad movies than good movies in the series. By all honest accounts, it predominately shitty with good movies thrown in.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TFA does seem to appreciate in quality now. I think the biggest thing is, whether you like the movie or hate the movie, as you said, TLJ sort of de-hyped the 3rd movie-- killing off plotlines and dashing complicated characters (Kylo Ren was misued, more on that in the TLJ thread later).

We are running a deficit on talking points and mystique in the Disney IP now. Its now more of a DCU property-- which I'm fine with. It's just the new facelift.

People hated the prequels. People loved the prequels (myself included). In time, people may get over the DCU swerve and careless lack of complexity. But damn, they killed a fuckload of story that was even in the video games and picture books for TFA.

Mark Hammil said if you read the actual TFA script, it goes into even more detail than TFA's screenplay. He said the script has so many references to Rey's parents and his lightsaber and why Rey is connected to it-- It is certainly worrying if Rian really threw the first movie away like that.

Is JJ happy with this? I'll be monitoring his reaction and looking for between-the-lines stuff as per usual.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Now it's time for that han solo prequel , which of course, as we all know, prequels are always sooooo good.
Not with my money though...
Fuck you Disney....fuck you.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
After the abomination that was Episode 8, I'm starting to wonder if Star Wars is actually any good. There's more bad movies than good movies in the series. By all honest accounts, it predominately shitty with good movies thrown in.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars began in 1977 and ended in 1983. The rest is just expensive EU.

• 9Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They joked that a space bear would dive in and save everything?

Are we sure it was a joke?

Anyway I like the idea of Poe taking a stronger prominent role in Episode 9. He had the best acting chops in these movies. He put the movie on his back acting-wise, and is arguably the only actor doing any classical acting in this series-- so a big fuck yeah to that.

The hype starts now! AND THEY SAID IT COULDN'T HAPPEN.

• 1Like

Royal

I'm sure most here are aware that George Lucas's inspiration for the OT were the Saturday matinee serials (specifically Flash Gordon) that he watched growing up. But something that fewer people know about are the Star Wars radio dramas that were made in that same retro spirit.

While Lucas wasn't formally involved in their production he did allow the use of the material as well as music and sound effects from the movies and then essentially donated the rights to the programs to the PBS station at his alma mater USC. Some of the live action actors even signed on to voice act their old characters. They ran on PBS stations around the country in the 80's and 90's and live on today via YouTube (though they are quite long and include material from the screenplays that didn't make it into the movies).

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Royal

FragrantTerribleAmericancrocodile.gif

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think I'm finally caught up on Rebels. I had this nice spergy rant about where all those X-Wings came from so early in the rebellion when they didn't see wide use until after the Battle of Yavin, but then I remembered that there were probably hundreds of X-Wings in Rogue One and the rant just kinda fizzled away.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

LOL I had never seen this. I'm fucking cracking up. The giant motherfucker that plays Vader goes to pick up little Palps actor and is like "WHOOPS YOU'RE FUCKING TINY, SHIT!"

God, so great. I love you, OT.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Interesting.

This will get a lot of buzz because of GoT obviously but I don't think their writing has been all that great since the source material well for the show ran dry. I do wonder if this is an effort to have multiple irons in the fire in case some "creative differences" arise between Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson later down the road.

But it is at least a step in the right direction. The approach of using different writers for each movie in a trilogy without much in the way of a central vision should have been an obvious bad idea on it's face. And if I was inclined to go full optimist mode they could be bringing them in to take a shot at a trilogy set in the Old Republic because of their involvement with GoT.

edit: I realized I misread that headline; it's a new series not necessarily a trilogy.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah I wonder if they realize these guys didn't really write GoT and what they have done is pretty shit generally. Guess I can try to be optimistic, over saturation of Star Wars movies engage!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
From the comments of the facebook announcement

Absolutely horrifying that LFL, instead of investing in women directors or directors of color, instead hires two men whose entire recent body of work is built off framing violence against women and persons of color as spectacle. Slap in the face to much of the fan base.

Nevermind, I'm back on board!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users