Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Interesting.

This will get a lot of buzz because of GoT obviously but I don't think their writing has been all that great since the source material well for the show ran dry. I do wonder if this is an effort to have multiple irons in the fire in case some "creative differences" arise between Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson later down the road.

But it is at least a step in the right direction. The approach of using different writers for each movie in a trilogy without much in the way of a central vision should have been an obvious bad idea on it's face. And if I was inclined to go full optimist mode they could be bringing them in to take a shot at a trilogy set in the Old Republic because of their involvement with GoT.

With the timing of this I think you're right somewhere. This would seem to be a palette cleanser announcement like "hey yea the GoT boys are here, can ya'll shut the fuck up now, god damnnit?"

Prior the articles and narrative of failure sites were snidely making reference to Rian's "3 more movies". Even the most positive and polite articles had the three movies footnote stamped onto the bottom of it-- I'm sure you've seen that coverage yourself. This would seem to be part of an effort not only to get some irons in the fire, but if they can beat Rian to the punch, to be rid of him at some point. My guess is if D&D get their first movie out, and it absolutely kills, it drastically increases the chances of Rian being lost in development hell. Behind closed doors, he may already be lost to development hell. Kennedy might tell Rian that D&D are going to be doing their Old Republic timeline movies first and that is what the studio decided.

Say what you want about D&D, they wrote and adapted GoT screenplay remarkably well and to critical acclaim. The fact they didn't write the characters doesn't matter, as I don't honestly think D&D are going to be handling all of the writing. It'll be more like a JJ and Kasdan situation where someone is doing the bulk of the work.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Seriously though I don't think this raises the chances of over saturation of the brand any higher than they already were (it was already a certainty that the shiny was going to get rubbed off sooner rather than later). They haven't mentioned any potential release dates for either this series or RJ's movies. The last season of GoT doesn't come out until next year so whatever they do is probably a good 4 years away at least (I guess this kills that alternate reality modern day Civil War series they were supposed to make for HBO). IX doesn't come out until the end of next year so there's going to be a slightly longer gap between the movies next time.

• 1Like

Royal

Most likely candidate is the series that Lucas was working on several years ago but pulled the plug on because it would have just been too expensive to make to his liking for television. It was set in the lower levels of the Coruscant underworld. They were also developing a game (Star Wars: 1313) as a tie in. It was never released either.

Royal

Just in time for Solo!

A fan made anime ... I wonder how long before this gets served cease and desist from Disney.

They're also doing a Guardians of the Whills anime, which actually looks pretty good for what they have so far.

Chris

Potato del Grande
TPM is great.

Everyone shat on Jar Jar Binks back in the day but after seeing TLJ, finding out what happened to Binks in Episode 9 will be a welcome break from Meryl Streep as Leia.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I feel that the biggest error of the Sequel Trilogy is the lack of scope of the whole thing.

We go into TFA knowing less about the state of the galaxy then we did in A New Hope and that's a problem. If, and only if, you read or follow the ancillary material do you learn what happened after Return of the Jedi and what led to the current state of things... but you shouldn't need to do any of that to understand the setting.

This problem is compounded by the fact that TLJ takes place over no more than 3 days after the events of TFA and at the end we still don't know what is really happening. As a kid you could imagine all sorts of additional adventures of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo that took place after the original movie and before Empire and there were comic book series and such that covered such material. Sure they were later ignored, but they existed at the time. I also remember as a kid (yes I am that old) feeling sort of awkward after Empire Strikes Back because now Han Solo was effectively off limits. He was surely going to be rescued in the next film, but the comic book and everything else had to just ignore the fact that he existed in the gap between Empire and ROTJ.

Now we are in a world where the IP and overall story is so tightly controlled that we are left in the dark as to what is happening with these characters and there is no time in which it can happen. There are no Poe and Finn adventures or Rey Life Lessons or BB8 C3PO R2D2 misadventures and that resonates with kids. Hell we know at some point that Luke made a Jedi Academy and had students... but we don't really know what happened there other than the events of one epic night and even those are still, after two movies and three different versions of the flashback, still sketchy.

Oddly enough this is an area where the prequel trilogy outshines the current stuff as because the Clone Wars animated series takes place between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and contains a wealth of really cool stories. It is for this reason I am hoping there is a gap between TLJ and whatever comes later that can be filled with some cool stuff or at least be an arena that is ripe for imagination. As it is I feel like we are in a narrative pause and that's no fun.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Original cast were so thoroughly wasted, it makes you wonder why they even bothered. Instead of pushing this trilogy 100-300 years later. If they had done THAT, "I thought it was a myth" would make more sense. The reset of the Rebellion/First order would make more sense.

Having TFA 30 years later, AND trying to reboot by copying the same idea of Evil empire/rebels creates so many problems. Ridiculous gymnastics are required to justify the New Republic to somehow be the rebellion.
The title crawl DID say it. But most people totally overlooked it, because it really is so confusing.

Its then hard to even care, when you then consider how pathetic the New Republic apparently is.
The last jedi then comes around and kills off any further caring for anyone involved.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Original cast were so thoroughly wasted, it makes you wonder why they even bothered.

bag o money.jpg

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
TV rumor, but its Star Wars so....rumor is, they will be announcing the new TV series tomorrow. Its apparently anime style, set preceding TFA, and it shot from the First Order's perspective with a pilot as the main character.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
anime style can mean a lot of things, but it also eliminates a lot of other less desired 3D styles too

• 1Like