Star Wars : Rogue One

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fucking awesome movie, 9/10. Not perfect, but they nearly nailed it. If you cut the movie into 3 acts, the first is the weakest, the second gets better, and the final third is some of the best Star Wars that has ever been put on screen.

The way this movie supplemented the existing Star Wars movies and story was great. It expanded the universe, the rebels, the empire, and all the millions of people caught in the middle. This movie felt the most real, whereas the other movies were heavy handed on the space opera fantasy. The reality and stakes of a planet killing machine are on full display here. It is awesome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Just sayin'

I think that might be too far into a different story for it to be a satisfying ending. I'm putting my money on a shot of Leia being the very last frame of the movie. If they can pull it off, a convincing CG likeness of a young Carrie Fisher turning to look at Jyn or whoever is delivering the plans could be pretty awesome

Not that it was a huge stretch

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Zero compelling characters in this movie. Name one scene that would be as interesting to go back and watch as Obi-wan/Qwi-gon vs. Darth Maul, Mace Windu vs. the Emperor, Yoda vs. the Emperor, etc. For the most part this movie was made up of a bunch of throw away characters with hardly any background info or reason to care about them, with only cameos from original characters that meant anything to me.

mark-wahlberg-shocked-gif.gif

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Still pissed they cut out Kyle Katarn!! But in all seriousness, I grew up playing Tie Fighter and Dark Forces, and this movie felt like the perfect mix of those two. It finally felt like other people had a stake in the Galactic Civil War than the Skywalker Family and Palpatine, which is how those games made me feel as a kid. If nothing else, I hope the massive fleet battle generates interest in making a new X-Wing\Tie Fighter game. Battlefront isn't cutting it. (It will probably never happen, but we can always hope right?)
Star Wars does not allow positive white male roles now. Expect Luke to go evil or be killed off in EP8

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
More likely Kylie Katarn amirite?!

24 hours after my viewing and my stance is lightening. I think I'll have to go again later in the week. Going to watch IV again then see if my nit picks were justified.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Damn good movie. The droid was definitely the standout character, although Blind Dude also had his moments.

surprised they had the balls to off the entire main cast. Made sense from a continuity standpoint, but it's not the kind of thing you expect from a Star Wars movie. Expected at least Protagonist Chick and Love Interest to somehow make it through.

Whoever the CGI guy was on this movie deserves a fucking cookie. Both Tarkin and
Leia
, both interacting with actual humans, and not looking horribly out of place? Well done.

And that last scene with Vader was fucking baller. Nuff said. (Although I did get a laugh out of the fact that Vader apparently just took over Sauron's tower in Mordor for his HQ; a tad on the nose.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

I think it's safe to say at this point that Tony Gilroy's reshoots significantly restructured the ending of the film. That they focused on the third act was one of the myriad of rumors swirling around about them. But just looking at the sheer amount of shots from the trailers that were never included and seeing how they differed from what we got confirms that.

There were several chase scenes with Jyn, Cassian, and K-2SO with them clearly in possession of the data tape (meaning K was not originally overwhelmed and gunned down at the archives). If you look closely at some of the cut scenes you can also see that the satellite transmission dish was not on the same building as the archives but on a separate tower, which they were running towards on the beach in the AT-ACT firing into the camera shot. And the shot of Krennic walking through the water towards the smoking battlefield with lots of dead stormtroopers, surveying the battle's aftermath, shows he wasn't seriously injured at his headquarters before Tarkin's payback shot from the Death Star.

Then there is the fact that Felicity Jones was the only actor among those playing central characters who has an option for a second film in her contract that the studio can exercise which may indicate that at some point they were at least entertaining the notion of Jyn making it out alive at the end.

But all of this does raise an interesting point, about reshoots in general and these in particular. The third act of the movie is what has been getting some of the widest approval. After all of the initial worry about them, how much of a factor were the reshoots in that? Were the concerns justified or should we as fans be glad that they were willing to devote the additional time and resources to making sure they put the best possible version of the movie out there, and did we get that? We may never fully know the answer to that but at the moment it sure feels like we did, as far as the final act goes.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Just saw it, thought it was cool. Better than commando, but not as good as predator or top gun.

Thoughts:

Vader must be the inspiration behind Oscar Pistorious as the original nub killing machine.

The Senate is even more useless than ours. "There will be no one to stop us this time." Was there ever anyone? Apparently not

Storm Troopers are such white males that they've gone 30 years without killing anyone but unarmed families and jawas on a bus. Finally, we witness a storm trooper aim at an armed target and hit it.

What were those TIE quesadillas?

• 3Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Took my family to see it last night. Generally agree with the 7-8/10 view that a lot of people have here. I thought the CGI of old characters was pretty good. If you want to see bad, go rewatch parts Forrest Gump; this is light years ahead and a lot less distracting. My biggest gripe, aside from some of the pacing, was how silly the storm trooper armor defended against a stick/kicks/punches. Was good to see badass Vader again after so much Anakin pussonification.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user