Star Wars : Rogue One

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Rogue One only made $155 million for its opening weekend. That Trump boycott was a killer...

Well that's still projected at this point. It officially punched in at $117M (plus an additional $135M foreign gross) for the weekend last night. But yeah, whatever boycott that actually materialized won't manage to make in come in at less than it's initial projection of a $135M opening weekend.

well that is 93 million less than TFA

It was never expected to do TFA numbers by anyone grounded in reality. Disney certainly didn't expect it to and said as much. No other Star Wars movie likely will until ticket prices go up substantially.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Saw it yesterday with my 3.5 year old, which was probably a mistake because it was just too long for him. Ironically, I remember seeing ANH when I was 3 in 1977 and it subsequently becoming the biggest cultural influence in my life for the next 10 years. My son seemed to enjoy it...sort of. I cannot see it having near the same impact on him as ANH had on me. Star Wars is becoming the WoW of the movie industry; high production, super geek value, highly enjoyable, but you'll never be able to truly recapture that lightning in a bottle that was the originals.

I liked it overall, 8/10 for sure.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rogue One only made $155 million for its opening weekend. That Trump boycott was a killer...

Great post

tumblr_lu16m4TG8z1qmckr5o1_500.gif

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was never expected to do TFA numbers by anyone grounded in reality. Disney certainly didn't expect it to and said as much. No other Star Wars movie likely will until ticket prices go up substantially.
Episode 8 and 9 have a chance if the reviews come out 9.0+ but if it sticks to 8/10 ratings then yeah they definitely won't be seeing $250m openings again.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Saw it yesterday with my 3.5 year old, which was probably a mistake because it was just too long for him. Ironically, I remember seeing ANH when I was 3 in 1977 and it subsequently becoming the biggest cultural influence in my life for the next 10 years. My son seemed to enjoy it...sort of. I cannot see it having near the same impact on him as ANH had on me. Star Wars is becoming the WoW of the movie industry; high production, super geek value, highly enjoyable, but you'll never be able to truly recapture that lightning in a bottle that was the originals.

To quote the opening line of another movie franchise (LoTR): "The world has changed."

Most people didn't have cable television when Star Wars came out in 1977. Even fewer had any sort of home gaming system (the Atari 2600 wouldn't come out until later that same year). And home computers weren't even around in any realistic form and weren't a source of entertainment at any rate. Being a kid under the driving age back then took some effort and imagination to relieve boredom in ways that wouldn't land you in trouble with either your parents, your neighbors, or the cops. Then Star Wars came along and changed all of that for an entire generation by pouring gasoline on the imaginations of so many then throwing a lit match on them.

Things have changed so much in terms of the boundaries of what is available to become engrossed in, for everyone. It will be hard for any one thing, especially something presented in movie format, to embed itself so deeply, with such staying power, and on the same scale as Star Wars did to those who were around to originally witness it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I honestly don't get how people aren't put off by the CGI Tarkin and Leia and really don't understand how someone could think those were real people. They looked like they were done by the guy who does Wallace and Gromit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
To quote the opening line of another movie franchise (LoTR): "The world has changed."

Most people didn't have cable television in when Star Wars came out in 1977. Even fewer had any sort of home gaming system (the Atari 2600 wouldn't come out until later that same year). And home computers weren't even around in any realistic form and weren't a source of entertainment at any rate. Being a kid under the driving age back then took some effort and imagination to relieve boredom in ways that wouldn't land you in trouble with either your parents, your neighbors, or the cops. Then Star Wars came along and changed all of that for an entire generation by pouring gasoline on the imaginations of so many then throwing a lit match on them.

Things have changed so much in terms of the boundaries of what is available to become engrossed in, for everyone. It will be hard for any one thing, especially something presented in movie format, to embed itself so deeply, with such staying power, and on the same scale as Star Wars did to those who were around to originally witness it.

100% agree. Star Wars was a cultural phenomena and it filled a hole that doesn't exist today.

I used to 100% games because I was lucky to get a game every month or two. Games like Defender or Asteroids didn't have a win scenario, high scores and flipping the score was actually a thing I cared about.
I knew every line to a movie because HBO (it was a standalone channel at the time, no cable) replayed the same 2-3 movies 5 times a day for a month.
I listened to albums from start to finish and knew the b-sides because like games, I only had enough money to buy 1 or 2 a month.

Contrast that to my kid who has an iPad and Youtube Kids and Disney OnDemand and free internet games and on and on and on.

I still get jazzed up about new SW movies but I don't think they will ever be received the way they were, it was definitely right time, right place.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I honestly don't get how people aren't put off by the CGI Tarkin and Leia and really don't understand how someone could think those were real people. They looked like they were done by the guy who does Wallace and Gromit.

Didn't bother me any, but I wasn't looking for it either since I kept myself spoiler-free (besides having watched ANH in the past at least...)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
100% agree. Star Wars was a cultural phenomena and it filled a hole that doesn't exist today.

I used to 100% games because I was lucky to get a game every month or two. Games like Defender or Asteroids didn't have a win scenario, high scores and flipping the score was actually a thing I cared about.
I knew every line to a movie because HBO (it was a standalone channel at the time, no cable) replayed the same 2-3 movies 5 times a day for a month.
I listened to albums from start to finish and knew the b-sides because like games, I only had enough money to buy 1 or 2 a month.

Contrast that to my kid who has an iPad and Youtube Kids and Disney OnDemand and free internet games and on and on and on.

I still get jazzed up about new SW movies but I don't think they will ever be received the way they were, it was definitely right time, right place.

Word. Also time+effort increased the value of the reward.. I remember taking the bus across the city in a winter storm to pick up a copy of Zelda II I spent two months saving allowance for. I cradled that box (as I did with many others over those years) all the way home like it was a newborn babe. The limited availability of great entertainment, and the effort/cost involved in acquiring it was part of what made it so wondrous and special..

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it has anything to do with how much more stuff there is now to fill a kid's time, it has to do with the fact that the new Star Wars movies are hollow, soulless, mediocre movies without a shred of depth or uniqueness. If you watch TFA objectively, it's not a very good movie at all. This movie was somewhat better, but it still isn't memorable in any meaningful way.

Caliane

Most people didn't have cable television when Star Wars came out in 1977. Even fewer had any sort of home gaming system (the Atari 2600 wouldn't come out until later that same year). And home computers weren't even around in any realistic form and weren't a source of entertainment at any rate. Being a kid under the driving age back then took some effort and imagination to relieve boredom in ways that wouldn't land you in trouble with either your parents, your neighbors, or the cops. Then Star Wars came along and changed all of that for an entire generation by pouring gasoline on the imaginations of so many then throwing a lit match on them.

yeah. look at this.

The force awakens. opens up in 4000 theaters.
Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens (2015) - Financial Information
Drops down to 1000 within 3 months, and trickles away to nothing after that within 6months.

The fellowship of the ring. Same exact model. and its very popular, and launched a bit of a zieghist itself.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Financial Information
3.3k theatres. down to 1k in 3 months, trickle down to nonin about 8months.

Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope (1977) - Financial Information
A new hope.
opens in 43 theaters. slowly scales up to 1k 3 months later. trickles down to 500 or so 5 months later. down to 100 over the next year.
reopens AGAIN, in nearly 2000 theaters a full year after initial opening in 1978 for a month. Then in 1979 AGAIN for 2 months. then AGAIN in 1982, before The empire strikes back.

They don't do that anymore. Too many movies, tent poles. The entire business has changed.
Closest you'll get is the franchises. Lord of the rings, and harry potter. Which do so, via just releasing movie after movie. book after book, etc. HP really has achieved a similar effect in modern times.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
both interacting with actual humans, and not looking horribly out of place? Well done.

It wouldn't be that hard to do, considering there were actors playing both characters, and they just CGI'd their faces. It wasn't just people talking into thin air.

Tarkin was a little off-putting, too uncanny valley towards the end of his scenes.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Went for the 10 pm showing last night. The theater was empty which was surprising. Thought the movie was good. 8/10.

Jive Turkey

Karen
It wouldn't be that hard to do, considering there were actors playing both characters, and they just CGI'd their faces. It wasn't just people talking into thin air.

Tarkin was a little off-putting, too uncanny valley towards the end of his scenes.

I'm fairly certain the real people were taken out completely and entire CG characters put in. Not that it changes your point

Jive Turkey

Karen
I saw it again this afternoon. Liked it even more the second time around. I found myself caring more for the characters. I'm not sure what that says about the movie itself, but I had the same feeling with TFA. Familiarity seems to be important for Star Wars. I have no idea if the original trilogy played the same way because I have no objectivity with those movies or characters anymore

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I think they could have done the first part of the movie better instead of the little jumps. Although I didn't find it confusing or anything so it didn't bother me too much. Other then that I thought the movie was pretty damn entertaining and I'll probably catch it again before it leaves theaters.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I think the movie would have been far better if jyn and her mother were killed by rebels in an accident (jyn survives and is taken away by saw), dad works for imperials to get revenge on the terrorist rebels, something something something dad meets jyn and more interesting character arcs occur. The white suit guy was a terrible and boring "accounting" villain, literally a management nazi. the movie wanted to make a point about how sometimes the rebels do bad things, but they didn't push it far enough imo.

also would have liked a ending where jyn and co have a choice between facing vader or buying time for the plans to get away, vader mowing down randos isn't that impactful.

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
Like others have said, CGI Tarkin was a huge misstep. His appearance should have been limited to the reflection in the window but instead he got nearly as much screen time as Ben Mendelsohn.

Maybe it's because I find the Force and Jedi elements the most interesting part of Star Wars, but I'm getting bored of all this Death Star shit.